• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#881 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 24 2017 - 4:01 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Saw some males of what I think were Lasius in my yard earlier, but that's it. Also found a Stigmatomma pallipes female alate under a rock in my yard.

Edited by Nathant2131, September 24 2017 - 4:02 PM.

#882 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted October 1 2017 - 9:44 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Have you guys found anything? I think the season might be over at this point.
  • noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

#883 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 10:14 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Have you guys found anything? I think the season might be over at this point.

If like last year, if there are any 80F degree days in Oct, we'll probably have some flights.  I seem to recall a fairly large flight in early October of non-parasitic Lasius.  However, we're nearing the end of the season :(

Then again I'm not totally disappointed this season, as have quite an abundance of queens and small colonies after last year for me to care for.

• Aquaexploder likes this

#884 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 11:07 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

That's a bummer... I've been searching for Myrmica and Crematogaster for a while...

Also, did you keep that Stigmatomma alate? they have a high fertility chance (they mate in the nest).

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#885 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 11:59 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

That's a bummer... I've been searching for Myrmica and Crematogaster for a while...

Also, did you keep that Stigmatomma alate? they have a high fertility chance (they mate in the nest).

I believe that was Nathan that found the Stigmatomma.

On a side note, I just checked on my ants; one of the L. alienus I caught this summer already has it's first niantic (not great, we'll see if they make it as usually get more before hibernation).  Surprisingly, of the two Aphaenogaster I caught, one already appears to have larvae; I figured being such a recent catch, I'd have to wait until Spring.  Second one still has wings and is pulling at the cotton, so guessing infertile.  

Looks like I lost a couple Myrmica... but not really any of the Lasius so far.

I placed an order for those plastic pen holders that were posted to another thread to try out to see if it makes caring for some of these smaller species in their test tubes a bit easier.  See what color I end up with when they arrive this week.

#886 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 2:23 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I know that nathan found it, and that's why I directed that question to him. Sorry if it was hard to understand, I was in a rush. I meant to direct the first sentence to you and the second one to Nathan.

Also, I've been trying to not post too many colony updates on this thread, but it seems like that its not taboo (I've been reading the history of this thread). 

My Ponera pennsylvanica queen has not been laying any eggs, which is bothering me. She has been eating tons of Camponotus larvae and eggs, so I'm guessing that she's getting ready to lay.

My Aphaenogaster rudis queen now has seven eggs and two pupae! I had no idea that they developed so fast...

My Myrmica queen has not laid any eggs yet, which kind of stinks.

I caught a tiny three worker colony of Aphaenogaster Picea, along with eleven Lasius neoniger queens. I put all of the queens together due to lack of containers. For some reason, one of the queens laid an egg (shouldn't they be laying next year?)

My Camponotus chromaiodes seven-worker colony has never been better. They hunted down a live Camel Cricket and drank an enormous dollop of honey. They've been residing in my Tar Heel Ants Mini Hearth with four myrmecophilous springtails.

I moved my twenty-one worker Tetramorium Sp. E colony into a sand formicarium (I'll make a thread on it soon, it's called the Pocket Anthill). Their brood pile is steadily growing!

That's all of my major updates for now..

Edited by Connectimyrmex, October 1 2017 - 2:23 PM.

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#887 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 2:50 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I know that nathan found it, and that's why I directed that question to him. Sorry if it was hard to understand, I was in a rush. I meant to direct the first sentence to you and the second one to Nathan.

Also, I've been trying to not post too many colony updates on this thread, but it seems like that its not taboo (I've been reading the history of this thread). 

No worries, wasn't sure :)

Yeah, I figured a quick update for other members to know approx where things are probably is helpful; like a journal-lite.  It's a good benchmark on the status of local ants, and don't need to hunt for them in the journal section.  At least that's my opinion anyways.  When this season started and people started seeing P. imparis, and posted when they started flying, laying and then eclosing, it was great to know what was happening.  I personally think an occasional update, photo, etc isn't a bad thing.

I'm considering getting all my Lasius and other Fall captures and putting them into the basement to start prepping to cool them off the the season.  Got a bunch of the sound dampening phone to neatly organize their test tubes in prep.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#888 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted October 1 2017 - 4:24 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

The Stigmatomma alate died since I left her in what I collected her in. I may take some images of her. Bigger than a Ponera queen and has a red gaster.

• noebl1 likes this

#889 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 5:32 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Actually meant to ask earlier... Anyone who caught P. imparis this Spring, any have a second/third laying yet?  I have two; one doing really well, and one with all of 1 worker...  and neither have relaid recently (at least that I can see).   The larger colony has a couple larvae (small-ish), so I am guessing they are later lays so not from the original batch of eggs.  I know they don't lay very often compared to other ants, but not sure how many have had theirs lay eggs before winter.

Edited by noebl1, October 1 2017 - 5:37 PM.

#890 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted October 1 2017 - 5:42 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Actually meant to ask earlier... Anyone who caught P. imparis this Spring, any have a second/third laying yet?  I have two; one doing really well, and one with all of 1 worker...  and neither have relaid recently (at least that I can see).   The larger colony has a couple larvae (small-ish), so I am guessing they are later lays so not from the original batch of eggs.  I know they don't lay very often compared to other ants, but not sure how many have had theirs lay eggs before winter.

It appears about half of my colonies have laid a second or third, some might be larvae; But I haven't had a proper inspection, it's really tough to see so nothing is set in stone.

Edited by Nathant2131, October 1 2017 - 5:43 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#891 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 5:51 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

It appears about half of my colonies have laid a second or third, some might be larvae; But I haven't had a proper inspection, it's really tough to see so nothing is set in stone.

Thanks for checking.  I thought I read somewhere people thought they may have eggs going into Winter, but not sure if that's fact or someone's speculation.  

• Nathant2131 likes this

#892 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 2 2017 - 8:03 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I'm mad

I'm mad because i saw a dead crematogaster queen in my tree frog's poop

whAT ThE F-

• noebl1, Spamdy and Aquaexploder like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#893 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted October 2 2017 - 10:47 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

I'm mad
I'm mad because i saw a dead crematogaster queen in my tree frog's poop
whAT ThE F-

I feel so bad.

#894 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 2 2017 - 11:21 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Is that sarcasm or sincerity i can't tell

The sad part was that a healthy, fertile ant queen of a species that I had wanted so badly snuck into my house, literally was amongst my ant collection, and then decided to go into a deathzone...

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#895 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted October 2 2017 - 11:39 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
It was sincere. Last year when I began getting interested ant keeping I found what I thought was a queen in my room. However I later figured out that it was a Camponotus drone. No clue why there was at Camponotus drone in my room in October but somehow it got there.

#896 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted October 2 2017 - 12:27 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

No clue why there was at Camponotus drone in my room in October but somehow it got there.

I'm not surprised, seeing how seemingly weird Camponotus are with flights, especially this year.

#897 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 2 2017 - 12:43 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Forget "Birds and the Bees"! It should be "Birds and the Camponotus"!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#898 Offline Salmon - Posted October 2 2017 - 1:22 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Is that sarcasm or sincerity i can't tell

The sad part was that a healthy, fertile ant queen of a species that I had wanted so badly snuck into my house, literally was amongst my ant collection, and then decided to go into a deathzone...

That's even weirder (and much less fortunate) than how the only Crematogaster alate I saw this year was crawling on my arm in the car. 

• noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

#899 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 2 2017 - 1:35 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

My very first queen I ever caught when I got interested in anting... was a parasitic Lasius in the house the cat was chasing in super early Spring.  She must have hitched a ride in one of the potted plants based on where I found her.

@Salmon I'm still super envious over your Pheidole; now that would be an awesome one to find by accident :D  Though I suspect I may need to build a light trap this winter so ready for next season to increase chances...

#900 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 2 2017 - 5:34 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I just did a quick look at the 20 or so Lasius I caught back on 9/5.  Two of them already have some eggs, seems earlier than I thought as believe they usually don't lay until Spring, but I guess not impossible.

Edited by noebl1, October 2 2017 - 5:35 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users