• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#501 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 24 2017 - 1:12 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Tetra are flying

#502 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 24 2017 - 2:48 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

4:55 AM: I went outside at this time, and immediatly on my driveway I found 1 male and and 1 dealate.

5:07 AM: I find the first colony that was sending alates during my walk. There were only about 5 alates outside the entrance, but there were hundreds of workers. It almost looked like a Tetramorium war but the workers are more spread out, and pbviously nothing was fighting.

In between 5:07 and 5:30 I find many more flight-active colonies however as time went on there were less and less alates, and eventually the entrances were just very active workers. This seemed to be a small flight, and only found 1 dealate.

When I first went outside was when the alates seemed most active throughout my walk, so I might have gotten up just in time for the peak of the flight, or a bit late. either way I think this was a small flight. I am seeing some alates here and there. In all I saw about  2-3 dozen, most of which were found at nest entrances. Didn't see any flying but the one dealate makes me think otherwise, and becuase I saw a few wandering far from any nest.

temperature + humidity throughout my walk was  74 F, and around 85-95% humidity.

Edited by Nathant2131, June 24 2017 - 7:00 AM.

• rdurham02 likes this

#503 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 24 2017 - 8:12 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I realized the "dealate" has a small part of her wing still there- so easily could have ended up that way after a bird's failed attempt at grabbing it.

#504 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 24 2017 - 10:21 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Tetra are flying

Told ya ;)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#505 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 24 2017 - 5:34 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I slept in today as fighting a cold so didn't see anything by the time I went out.  Hoping to go outside tonight in a bit to keep an eye out for Temnothorax.  I saw an L. umbratus today pretty actively hunting, surprised to see one so late in the season.  Also L. alienus workers are EVERYWHERE outside.  If I pick up a pot, or even a shovel placed down a week or so ago, there are quite a few L. alienus and some pupae/larvae with them.  I've also noticed something interesting I need to get more data on.  I've noticed that in the masses of Tetramorium hills out there, I'll often find L. flavus or L. claviger or similar bright orange Lasius mixed in very very close proximity.  I noticed this last year as well.  There will be a 2'x3' area of Tetramorium hills densely packed together, and I'll sometimes uncover the bright orange Lasius will mowing in the middle of it.

My Lasius seem to be about a week behind @nathant2131 as 3 of the 4 finally queens with pupae eclosed now.  The first one the workers are quite brown, and she's had several more eclose already.  1 of the 3 has looks fairly light in coloration, so curious to see if she darkens up or is an L. flavus or similar.  The one with several workers I gave a cotton ball soaked in Sunburst, and interesting to see them going crazy with excitement with swollen gasters with their very first taste of "foraged" sugars.  First meal this queen has had in about 10 mos.  The test tubes from last Sept are getting pretty dry, so going to be time to convince them to move soon.

@zkublin The Lasius I gave you should have eclosed as well, curious with what you ended up with.

@Cindy the P. imparis larvae/pupae I transferred on your suggestion seem to be doing well.  After watching @nathant2131's journal, they are getting close to the of couple workers eclosing as well.   Not sure why one queen was so far ahead larvae/pupae wise compared to the others.  Hopefully not a fertility issue, but won't know for awhile...

Dying to go out tonight and go anting, just need to convince my toddler he's tired... ;)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#506 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 24 2017 - 5:43 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I've also noticed something interesting I need to get more data on.  I've noticed that in the masses of Tetramorium hills out there, I'll often find L. flavus or L. claviger or similar bright orange Lasius mixed in very very close proximity.  I noticed this last year as well.  There will be a 2'x3' area of Tetramorium hills densely packed together, and I'll sometimes uncover the bright orange Lasius will mowing in the middle of it.

I saw something very similar this morning. I found a pretty big trail of bright yellow Lasius (which was a surprise to begin with as all/most bright yellow Lasius to begin with live underground) that were carrying larvae. Eventually the trail led from the side of the sidewalk and into the forest so couldn't expect any further. But there was a small mass of Tetramorium workers that seemed to be interfering with the trail. They too were carrying larvae. Not sure if they were stealing the larvae from the Lasius or something (or just a coincedence and they too were carrying their own larvae, but it was only a short glance so I couldn't register if they were battling it out or what. Very weird indeed.

I think they might have been L. interjectus becuase of that "scrawny" look if you know what I mean, but would need magnification to know.

Anyways I think I'm in for the night. You're not exactly wide awake when you were early up enough that day to witness a Tetramorium flight. :tongue2:

Edited by Nathant2131, June 24 2017 - 5:52 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#507 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 24 2017 - 6:13 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Not missing much anyways (at least for here), I didn't see any Temnothorax tonight :(

• Nathant2131 likes this

#508 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 25 2017 - 5:49 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Not much going on today, wondering if the dryer/cooler temps have subdued things a bit.

Amazing how similar queens of Lasius look...  I kept 4 queens from last season that just to look at them look identical.  Now that all of them have eclosed, pretty certain I have two L. neoniger, and two L. flavus, L. nearcticus or L. claviger or similar.   Finally got some macro shots of the recent Lasius that eclosed that are very light in color, and based on the tiny size of their eyes, mostly like not L. neoniger or similar. 

• Nathant2131 likes this

#509 Offline zkublin - Posted June 26 2017 - 5:58 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I slept in today as fighting a cold so didn't see anything by the time I went out.  Hoping to go outside tonight in a bit to keep an eye out for Temnothorax.  I saw an L. umbratus today pretty actively hunting, surprised to see one so late in the season.  Also L. alienus workers are EVERYWHERE outside.  If I pick up a pot, or even a shovel placed down a week or so ago, there are quite a few L. alienus and some pupae/larvae with them.  I've also noticed something interesting I need to get more data on.  I've noticed that in the masses of Tetramorium hills out there, I'll often find L. flavus or L. claviger or similar bright orange Lasius mixed in very very close proximity.  I noticed this last year as well.  There will be a 2'x3' area of Tetramorium hills densely packed together, and I'll sometimes uncover the bright orange Lasius will mowing in the middle of it.

My Lasius seem to be about a week behind @nathant2131 as 3 of the 4 finally queens with pupae eclosed now.  The first one the workers are quite brown, and she's had several more eclose already.  1 of the 3 has looks fairly light in coloration, so curious to see if she darkens up or is an L. flavus or similar.  The one with several workers I gave a cotton ball soaked in Sunburst, and interesting to see them going crazy with excitement with swollen gasters with their very first taste of "foraged" sugars.  First meal this queen has had in about 10 mos.  The test tubes from last Sept are getting pretty dry, so going to be time to convince them to move soon.

@zkublin The Lasius I gave you should have eclosed as well, curious with what you ended up with.

@Cindy the P. imparis larvae/pupae I transferred on your suggestion seem to be doing well.  After watching @nathant2131's journal, they are getting close to the of couple workers eclosing as well.   Not sure why one queen was so far ahead larvae/pupae wise compared to the others.  Hopefully not a fertility issue, but won't know for awhile...

Dying to go out tonight and go anting, just need to convince my toddler he's tired... ;)

Yes one of the 3 have 4 or 5 nanatics, the other two have not produced any yet.  I am not sure what they are but they are smallish and light brown.  I can take a closer look tonight.  Anything I should be looking for to help ID them further?

• noebl1 likes this

#510 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 26 2017 - 7:52 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Yes one of the 3 have 4 or 5 nanatics, the other two have not produced any yet.  I am not sure what they are but they are smallish and light brown.  I can take a closer look tonight.  Anything I should be looking for to help ID them further?

Shots of the head, specifically close of shots of the mandibles and antenna.  If they are brown, my educated guess would be potentially L. neoniger based on time of year I caught them and where.  L. alienus tend to fly sooner in July (but not impossible), and L. pallitarsis is not very common.  For the ones I have that are currently yellowish, going to try go get a shot of the head, but not going to be easy to ID :)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#511 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted June 26 2017 - 9:45 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
If you have not caught a Teramorium queen yet don't fret! Today I was cleaning out the cracks in my driveway that was full of sand when I accidentally washed up part of a Tetramorium colony. I found an alate that was almost ready to go on a nuptial flight!
  • noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

#512 Offline CNewton - Posted June 26 2017 - 11:36 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

I'm watching this thread for reference. I'm in Western NY, but we have had a very cool spring and summer, so far. Seeing that you guys are just getting tetramorium has given me a shred of hope that I've not missed out yet!   

• Nathant2131 likes this

#513 Offline zkublin - Posted June 26 2017 - 11:40 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I'm watching this thread for reference. I'm in Western NY, but we have had a very cool spring and summer, so far. Seeing that you guys are just getting tetramorium has given me a shred of hope that I've not missed out yet!   

As far as I have seen there has not been a large Tetramorium flight in the more urban areas close to Boston.  A few queens have been found but nothing large.

• noebl1 likes this

#514 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 26 2017 - 4:19 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Found a lot of stuff today in Methuen. 1 male, probably Tetramorium, looking dead in a pool. At least 4 Tetramorium dealate a in or on a pool noodle in the pool, and at least 2 dealate a within inches of the same pool. An L. umbratus queen wandering, and a Lasius cf. claviger queen wandering (first claviger-group species I've seen this year).
  • noebl1, Cindy and Aquaexploder like this

#515 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted June 27 2017 - 6:59 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I'm still finding Camponotus drones around here in Rhode Island.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#516 Offline akaant - Posted June 27 2017 - 7:12 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Lasius interjectus flew yesterday. I found a queen alate removing wings on my car.

• noebl1, Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#517 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted June 27 2017 - 10:28 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hiya!
I've found some new queens, apparently all flying now.

Here's the list:
Tapinoma Sessile (1 queen)

Camponotus Nearcticus (1 queen)

Camponotus Chromaiodes (2 queens)

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus (1 queen)

Lasius Umbratus (1 queen)

Tetramorium Caespitum (3 queens)

And here are the queens that I've seen in nests (they haven't flown yet):
Crematogaster sp. (2 queen pupae, 10 reproductive larvae)

Aphaenogaster sp. (13 reproductive larvae)

Tetramorium Caespitum (5 queens, 12 males)

Anergates Atratulus (1 queen)

Keep an eye out for termites, too! :D

• ctantkeeper and Nathant2131 like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#518 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:07 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Hiya!

Here's the list:

That's awesome!!! congrats man :). But wait, are termites still flying and if so, when did you need them?

#519 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 28 2017 - 6:17 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Hiya!
Here's the list:

Nice find with the T. sessile! What date did you find her?

#520 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 28 2017 - 8:38 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Tapinoma sessile males swarming now at Benson's park, Hudson NH.
  • ctantkeeper, noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users