• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#201 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 22 2017 - 5:45 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

That could be Lasius flavus or Lasius nearcticus, a possible host for your colony. However, these could also be a social parasite colony. Try checking for female alates. If it is L. flavus or L. nearcticus, the female alates will be brownish yellow, and with a big gaster. If a social parasite,it  could be red, or grayish brown. They will have small gasters and big heads.

There won't be any alates at this time of the year except for Lasius interjectus.

• rdurham02 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#202 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 22 2017 - 5:46 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

That could be Lasius flavus or Lasius nearcticus, a possible host for your colony. However, these could also be a social parasite colony. Try checking for female alates. If it is L. flavus or L. nearcticus, the female alates will be brownish yellow, and with a big gaster. If a social parasite,it  could be red, or grayish brown. They will have small gasters and big heads.

There won't be any alates at this time of the year except for Lasius interjectus.

True, true.

#203 Offline Myrmidon - Posted April 22 2017 - 8:28 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

Who else is excited for the good weather coming up next weekend? Hopefully we get lucky! Thursday will be around mid 70's right after some good rainfall ;)

• Nathant2131 likes this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#204 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 22 2017 - 8:34 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Who else is excited for the good weather coming up next weekend? Hopefully we get lucky! Thursday will be around mid 70's right after some good rainfall ;)

I'm not sure about P. imparis flying as it appears they are inactive; I haven't seen a single worker since the flight I witnessed. We will almost for sure see some Lasius Parasite queens that flew last year, seeking host colonies.

I think it seems a tad bit early for Camponotus to fly. You never know though!

#205 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 22 2017 - 1:10 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

It is a bit early, but Camponotus Myrmentoma last year flew a couple weeks before the larger Camponotus, so could fly soon. However they really prefer high 70s/80s for flights. I think Cindy saw some Camponotus Myrmentoma flying last weekend with it in the 80s, so possible more flights in other areas later this week.  Regardless within a few weeks the Camponotus flights will start and another in rush of ID requests as impossible to miss as such larger numbers (the Myrmentoma flew 5/12 last year when it hit 80s.)   :)

Checked on my ants, and P. imparis are starting to lay, and all the Lasius neoniger in the first bin I checked all had egg piles or larvae.  Didn't get a chance to check the 2nd bin of them.

My Lasius umbratus I think started eggs laying as well with her pair of L. alienus workers.  I caught them feeding her last night, so she's at least some success infiltrating and replacing the queen.

Noticed a new Tetramorium colony this week as well along our driveway busily digging out from the rains. My toddler sat next to me and watched them for awhile which was cool.  He doesn't talk much, but he clearly says "ants" and points to look at the Tetramorium and L. umbratus he knows about.

Edited by noebl1, April 22 2017 - 1:14 PM.

• Nathant2131, Cindy and Myrmidon like this

#206 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 22 2017 - 1:26 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Just checked today. About half of my queens have obvious eggs! Some of the others look like maybe the burried the egg in the cotton.
  • noebl1, Nathant2131 and Myrmidon like this

#207 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 22 2017 - 1:30 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Checking yesterday, 4 of my 7 remaining queens have 4-9 eggs. It took 6-10 days for them.

#208 Offline Myrmidon - Posted April 23 2017 - 1:25 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

Yeah, I walked around today a bit and mostly just saw foragers and some Tetramorium wars. I also located a mature Camponotus noveboracensis colony in a tree stump right next to my driveway. I saw male and female alates walking outside from one chamber and into another. Which is amazing because that's my most sought after ant at the moment! They also fly in May usually, right? 

All of my P. imparis queens are laying at this point, which is good. I'm a bit worried about an injured queen but she is laying more than any of the others! Maybe she realizes she will need the extra help. :P

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#209 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 23 2017 - 1:36 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I was in Methuen today. High of about 65, and the place I was at was dominated by Lasius alienus (?) despite it being a very open area, only a sparse amount of forest, which I found strange. They look considerably darker than The usual Lasius neoniger I always see, so I only assumed the species, but I am fairly confident that's them. Edit: Prob just L. neoniger.

Also saw a groggy P. imparis mound with some lazy workers lingering on it, but no foraging it seems.

Also saw Formica cf. pallidefulva, Camponotus Pennsylvanicus, Tetramorium Foraging.

Edited by Nathant2131, June 11 2017 - 4:45 AM.

#210 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 24 2017 - 1:53 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Just found Prenolepis imparis heavily foraging in my yard. Strange how they suddenly stopped for a while.

• noebl1 and Martialis like this

#211 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 24 2017 - 3:04 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Just found Prenolepis imparis heavily foraging in my yard. Strange how they suddenly stopped for a while.

I figured it's a bit too early for estivation as not sure how much time they've been able to forage in the last few weeks to last the whole summer.  I'd be curious to see when they go into full estivation if it's in the July/Aug/Sept time frame, or longer/shorter.  In that PDF, it made it sound like up north they really only have a short estivation of only a couple months.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#212 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 24 2017 - 3:08 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I have FINALLY located the nest entrance of one of the P. imparis nests in my yard. I'm going to key/map the colonies in my yard for fun, and update it from time to time!  :D

#213 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 24 2017 - 3:11 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I figured it's a bit too early for estivation as not sure how much time they've been able to forage in the last few weeks to last the whole summer.  I'd be curious to see when they go into full estivation if it's in the July/Aug/Sept time frame, or longer/shorter.  In that PDF, it made it sound like up north they really only have a short estivation of only a couple months.

Good. I really enjoy watching these.

• noebl1 likes this

#214 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 26 2017 - 3:04 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Just looked and all 7 of my P. imparis, even the one with the wings, looked like they've laid eggs.

Bring on the the Camponotus flights :)

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#215 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 26 2017 - 3:11 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

40% Chance of rain on Firday for me in Dracut, when it's supposed to be a high of 79. A flight may happen!

• Myrmidon likes this

#216 Offline zkublin - Posted April 27 2017 - 12:48 PM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Anyone see anything interesting today?  It is sunny and warm here in Somerville.

#217 Offline Cindy - Posted April 27 2017 - 12:49 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Anyone see anything interesting today?  It is sunny and warm here in Somerville.

Camponotus nearcticus are active 

#218 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 27 2017 - 4:36 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Nothing here either other than a small Camponotus or Formica in a parking lot landed on my arm, and it wasn't an alate, LOL   Looks like Lasius today and some other Formica species were very active near work.

Tomorrow it wouldn't surprise me if Camponotus nearcticus and other C. Myrmentoma flew.  Based on last year, I think it's still too early for a large flight of C. pennsylvanicus (and similar) tomorrow.  There could be some P. imparis as well if not all of them have flown (so may be small localized flights.)

#219 Offline akaant - Posted April 28 2017 - 2:50 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

I found some Camponotus americanus alates today. Looks like they could fly soon!

Edited by akaant, April 28 2017 - 2:51 PM.

• noebl1, Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#220 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 28 2017 - 3:01 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I saw a *ton* of L. umbratus tonight.  Also one C. pennsylvanicus dealate wondering around aimlessly; guessing a colony ejection as saw no signs of any flights up by me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users