• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TEDxWoodsHole - Adam Lazarus - Look Insane, Be Kind, Talk Science

tedx adam lazarus tedxwoodshole anting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 30 2014 - 7:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This video is great. I can't believe how much I can relate to what he's saying.

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 30 2014 - 2:47 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Ha, that video is funny. So many things I can relate too as well. People always wonder what I'm doing when I'm out searching with a big shovel.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 31 2014 - 1:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I hate being seen walking back to my truck with a shovel and duct tape way out in the desert. Ants are never the first thing people think of.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#4 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted August 31 2014 - 2:33 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO
I have encountered hostility before when accidentally collecting on peoples' property. On one occasion, the owner didn't tell me to leave right away, but made it very clear that they would be spraying all of the ants as soon as possible. I almost got arrested once as well due to my entomological enthusiasm (long story). Friendly interactions are definitely more common though.

Edited by Myrmicinae, August 31 2014 - 2:41 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 31 2014 - 3:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have never been able to think of a reason a normal person would be upset at anyone for collecting ants on part of some land that happens to be their property. Could they really like ants as much as us?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tedx, adam lazarus, tedxwoodshole, anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users