• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado Biking Adventure

heatonism

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 20 2017 - 8:50 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Not sure exactly how I'd like to do this. I have a lot of random thoughts that pop in and out of my head and rather than make new topics every time to deal with my Heaton-balogney. Not always about anting so I figure the general off-topic area would be ok. 

Was out on a bike ride this last Friday. 3/17/17 

Looked down and saw what has been described to me as "an ant war."

Lil' closer

I didn't take a "close up shot" as I wasn't really knowing what I was wanting to do with the pictures. Didn't find a queen. Wasn't even searching. Wasn't planning on finding ants during the bike ride. It was just something fun I found while riding my bike this weekend.

• Martialis and thosaka like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 20 2017 - 10:45 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I've seen Tetramorium wars a hundred times bigger than this (literally). You can only imagine.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 20 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 20 2017 - 11:14 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Oh yeah. I've got a post where I stumbled upon the Grand War that was between the right side of my yard and the neighbors. Luckily he takes less care of his side of things so the actual battle happened there. I've realized its been more of a.... Well before signing up for this site, I think I would have just ignored them. Now, I'm down like a fool trying to take pictures and examine almost every ant pile I come across. Its a weird success story in a way...

What is exactly going on? Is it a literal ant war? Someone had to invade the other. I'd imagine everyone would see a big...mass of something moving then. Is it the same species of ant and one queen is trying to exert dominance over anothers colony?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline thosaka - Posted March 20 2017 - 11:34 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

A grand war or a mass orgy, either way, nice pictures!  :D

• sgheaton likes this

#5 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 20 2017 - 11:35 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Usually this happens after hibernation and each colony is trying to establish the boundaries of their territory. Usually wars happen when the boundaries of two colonies overlap. At least that is what I've come to understand from what I've researched.

If I am wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Edited by XZero38, March 20 2017 - 1:28 PM.

• LC3, T.C. and thosaka like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heatonism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users