• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating Problem (Urgent!)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 17 2017 - 2:22 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I have 9 Lasius sp queens (likely neoniger) that I am getting concerned for heating.

I took them out of hibernation on March 9th and activated a 15 watt reptile heat cable for them a few hours ago. My setup is a strange one. The test tubes are glass. The cable is in this pattern (shown in the pic) and strapped down with electrical tape, everything on this strange hard tile surface. The thing is though, everything is covered with an upside down pot, so the temp is it's own specific thing, only slightly influenced by the temp in my room (high sixties, low seventies, but sometimes drops to mid or low sixties). I have a guage to identify the temp of inside the pot (but not the temperature of the cable or tubes) and it says 74-76 F. What I am concerned about is if this is too hot, especially since the tubes are likely to be a lot warmer than the inside of the pot.

1dSyO6f.jpg

CkRccSq.jpg

Ap7Nfi6.jpg

j0X5bQY.jpg

Too hot? If so, what should I do If I still want to use the heat cable?

Edited by Nathant2131, March 17 2017 - 2:50 PM.

• thosaka likes this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:02 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I am not liking heat cables right now. I am thinking of an incubator for especially controlled temperatures. Would this work?

Edited by Nathant2131, March 17 2017 - 3:02 PM.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:07 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You probably need to figure out how to use your cable. The test tubes do not need to be touching them while you have that metal lid over the whole thing.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:09 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

You probably need to figure out how to use your cable. The test tubes do not need to be touching them while you have that metal lid over the whole thing.

Ok. Do you know if 76 F is too hot for this species anyways?

I also am thinking of raising the lid not enough to suck in light, but for some heat to escape.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:15 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Ok. Do you know if 76 F is too hot for this species anyways?

I also am thinking of raising the lid not enough to suck in light, but for some heat to escape.

I don't heat my ants. 78 degrees F is not too different from what the colony might experience in the summer time, but if you suspect that the tubes are hotter or you have trouble controlling the temperature, you might not want to use the cable.

• T.C. likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:19 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Why don't you tape the heating cable to the inside of that pot and cover it with a towel? This will still create a good warmth under the pot (which is made out of metal and thus will disperse the heat very well) but without frying the ants in their tubes.

• drtrmiller, Batspiderfish and Nathant2131 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:29 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I've found experimentally that having a heating cable directly touching the test tube is always too hot after taking a day or two to stabilize.  Here's what I did instead :  http://www.formicult...e-new-colonies/ .  I highly recommend this.  It takes a whole lot of guesswork out of ant keeping.

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 17 2017 - 3:29 PM.

~Dan

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:31 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I don't recommend heating test tubes at all, because it greatly increases the risk of a test tube flood. I've already had 1 queen loose half of her brood.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:49 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
My apologies to go off topic, but have you ever tried combining the queens of this species. I put 10 in a tube once. I looked like 2 weeks in and alot of eggs. However I had it in the garage and it appeared a mouse had ate all of them.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:55 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

My apologies to go off topic, but have you ever tried combining the queens of this species. I put 10 in a tube once. I looked like 2 weeks in and alot of eggs. However I had it in the garage and it appeared a mouse had ate all of them.

L. neoniger are known to be pleometrophic on the founding stage (I have witnessed this myself flipping driftwood on beaches, this is actually how I collected most of these) But as soon as the first worker ecloses, one queen remains. I have seen up to 4-5 queens together.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 17 2017 - 3:55 PM.

• T.C. likes this

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:57 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Found a new solution.

I put a tile over the cable, the tubes on the tile, capped off with the metal lid and guage. This should make things less dangerous and also cooler.

YcsiinH.jpg

VgmgnP4.jpg

Thoughts on this?

Thanks for your reccomondations and info everybody. I now love and hate heat cables.

• thosaka likes this

#12 Offline thosaka - Posted March 17 2017 - 4:33 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I can't believe insect growth chambers cost 21,000 dollars. Should I get a car or an insect incubator? Hmmmmm.....  :lol:

• Nathant2131 likes this

#13 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 18 2017 - 1:01 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Looks like this technique is working good. At least to my understanding.

Its been in between 72 and 73 F since morning, and the tubes are probably the same if not slightly warmer. Perfect.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 18 2017 - 1:01 PM.

• noebl1 and thosaka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users