• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus novaeboracensis 1st queen , founding stage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swinferret - Posted June 7 2018 - 11:07 PM

Swinferret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm new to ant keeping but I've researched into it for 2 years now so i was excited to get my 1st queen randomly on my kitchen floor nearly saved from my cat. I knew immediately what to do. I put her in a test tube setup! At first I doubted that she was a queen but once I checked up on her i noticed she had layed eggs!! I also got her ID from here big thanks for those who helped ( Phoenix, Enderzatwar411, LC3) !!! She now has 5 eggs that she seems to be caring for and protecting. Not sure about fertility however here's my update!!!

• Karma likes this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted June 8 2018 - 10:25 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

what's the measurements of that queen? It looks a lot like my Camponotus nearcticus. And I have both Camponotus novebarencisis and nearcticus.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 8 2018 - 2:39 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I agree with TC. Can you get exact measurements of this queen? Or at least a picture with a ruler? Around 2cm seems like C. novaeboracensis, but I highly doubt that she is that big.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline Swinferret - Posted June 8 2018 - 9:39 PM

Swinferret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hmm it appears that you may be correct! I must have bad eyes or forgot what a damn cm was or both lol.
Update with tape measure on cm side
I recently added some hand warmers near one side of the test tube, she piled the brood and a couple of hours prior she was moving them toward the heat.
Also your feedback is appreciated!

#5 Offline Swinferret - Posted June 8 2018 - 9:40 PM

Swinferret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Also hard to get a perfect measurement because she kept moving this was the best I could do

#6 Offline Swinferret - Posted June 8 2018 - 9:45 PM

Swinferret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

what's the measurements of that queen? It looks a lot like my Camponotus nearcticus. And I have both Camponotus novebarencisis and nearcticus.

After looking at both of your queens, i agree with you because of how smooth/hairless her gaster is
  • Karma likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users