• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Are Your Favorite Native Ant Species?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 4:36 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Ordered from most favorite to least favorite

1. Lasius neoniger

This sp. has been with me since the very beginning. They are the most common ant here and I just love how simplistic they are;  A perfect example of a nice, native ant. You can also use them as hosts for a Lasius parasite colony!

2. Prenolepis imparis

The most beautiful ant in the world (especially the workers!), I think. They are a common sp where I live, and it is so fun to watch them climb their trees and drink their sap. Their wonky schedule is also quite unique; Active winters and inactive summers.

3. Lasius claviger

A dream ant to keep. Common, but difficult as balls to raise. The queens are sick looking, the colonies enormous. It is always a joy to find an open colony ready for flight, and their openings spread over a large area. Of course, the main attraction is that they are temporary social parasites.

4. Temnothorax curvispinosus

A beautiful species. I have personally never found any, but their unique nesting habit (in acorns) is interesting. Tiny ants, too. Love small ants.  <3

5. Pheidole pilifera

probably the most dreamy, and elusive, ant in New England. I mean, Big-Headed ants in New England, one of the coldest places in the US? Heck yeah!  I have never found these due to how rare they are but this will probably be my down-the-road goal as an ant keeper.

Love this list!!! I would of put Lasius neoniger in my list if i wasn't basing mine around species that I particularly enjoy observing in the wild. They will always have a place in my heart as one of my favorite ants to rear!!! Btw, I have to ask and I am sorry if this is too forward, but are you from New England and if so, what part? If so, we should totally hang out sometime. There are so few antkeepers here :(

I live in Northern MA, a small town near Boston. You should definitely check out this thread from ACAF. We New Englanders are very active on that topic and it is very useful for us. Take the time to read it all and also post anything flight-related. I think this is the largest thread of ACAF.

Not only that we are relatively far away, I unfortunately am young and cannot drive or anything. So we can't meet up.  :(

It's ok, thanks for letting me know :(

• Nathant2131 likes this

#22 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 4:37 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

1.  Solenopsis invicta: ​My first colony and my enemy... hehe

2. ​Camponotus floridanus: ​I love their unique coloration and the size of their super majors.

3. Pogonomyrmex badius: ​As my only native harvester, they are my favorite!

4. Trachymyrmex sp. ​One reason; FUNGUS GROWERS

5. ​Odontomachus brunneus: ​Best Trap jaws ever!

Aren't S. invicta non-native? I can see where you're coming from, though. 

I already messaged you about this : "As long as an invasive is commonly found within your state, it is fair game. I live in CT and Solenopsis geminata does not live here, so I wouldn't mention that species in my list." 

Edited by ctantkeeper, March 5 2017 - 4:38 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#23 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 7 2017 - 7:15 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for the support!!! I had no idea so many of you would respond. Hopefully commenting on this will also allow those of you who missed this to see it in the "Latest Post" section of the forum. 

#24 Offline Martialis - Posted March 7 2017 - 7:20 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Which is why I said southeastern U.S., as it is native there.

Spoiler

#25 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 7 2017 - 9:48 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Solenopsis invicta is native to south america, not the southern U.S. because it did not originate there. 

• Martialis likes this

#26 Offline Martialis - Posted March 7 2017 - 1:27 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Solenopsis invicta is native to south america, not the southern U.S. because it did not originate there. 

Not S. invicta, S. geminata. They reach their maximum northern extent in the Southern U.S.

• ctantkeeper likes this
Spoiler

#27 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 7 2017 - 5:45 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Ok, my bad. I did some research and it turns out that your correct, I always had thought that they immigrated to here as well. I am sorry about that, I had no idea. On the bright side, I learned something new :)

• Martialis likes this

#28 Offline Kevin - Posted March 7 2017 - 5:56 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

1.  Solenopsis invicta: ​My first colony and my enemy... hehe

2. ​Camponotus floridanus: ​I love their unique coloration and the size of their super majors.

3. Pogonomyrmex badius: ​As my only native harvester, they are my favorite!

4. Trachymyrmex sp. ​One reason; FUNGUS GROWERS

5. ​Odontomachus brunneus: ​Best Trap jaws ever!

Aren't S. invicta non-native? I can see where you're coming from, though. 

Technically, they are native however invasive. The species is vastly present in the Southern US.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#29 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 7 2017 - 6:41 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Great topic. Love the thread idea and the responses so far all seem to be interesting and fun to read. Here are a few I particularly like in Philly; I've had experiences with most of them, but not all.

Crematogaster cerasi

The Crematogaster genus has to be my favorite overall; I've only encountered a few C. cerasi colonies, and they have each taken my breath away. I think their methodical and organized foraging trails are really cute and their shiny appearance is beautiful. Their queens are very unique; I've decided that their heart-shaped gasters and jet-black coats make them look the most "regal" of all the queens out there.  :)

Temnothorax curvispinosus

Acorn ants are a very close second to Acrobat ants. I've always noticed these little quys running around wooden picnic tables or guarding their homes in rotten logs from other insects. Only until I became actually interested in ants and anting did really realize how impressive these little guys really were. After months of browsing images on Alexander Wild's website, I decided to take some action and do a little research. I contacted a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where I was at school, and set up a time to check out his lab. Dr. Linksvayer and his team of graduate students used ants to monitor and analyze social biological systems as a whole. They took me down to their lab and showed me their 28 Temonothorax curvispinosus colonies (along with 110 Monomorium phaoronis colonies, with over 6 queens each) and explained to me what they did with the ants and how they studied them. After telling them I lived in the suburbs and not the city, they prompted me to go out and look for Temnothorax colonies in acorns in undisturbed forests near where I live. My brother and I have been searching for Temnothorax colonies ever since and look forward to April, when they'll be more active.

Monomorium minimum

First and foremost, I just think their name is really cool; "Monomorium minimum" just rolls off your tongue and sounds nice. I've only ever encountered one Monomorium minimum colony, when I was taking my dog for a walk. This was before I became interested in anting, so I mistook the minuscule workers for "baby" Tetramorium... 

Brachymyrmex depilis

What can I say? I guess I just have a thing for little ants. I've only encountered these ants once as well, also when I was taking my dog on a walk. It was late October, and my brother and I didn't even make it down the driveway before stumbling upon a nuptial flight! We literally couldn't walk without being pelted with male and female alates doing their thing. We didn't even know they were ants, let alone what genus. Luckily, we scooped up a mated queen for inspection and stuffed her in a test tube setup. Now our little queen has over 5 eggs and is thriving!

Nylanderia flavipes

Haven't seen or caught any personally, but I look forward to looking for them in April. From what I've heard, they are closely related to Prenolepis imparis and look like smaller versions of them.

Tetramorium Sp. E

Love their attitude. They seem like one of the most cooperative and clever species out there, and they're everywhere. 

Pinkomyrmex floyderus

Very rare, but interesting species. Nathan actually managed to get his hands on a queen during a nuptial flight! So jealous!

Thank you so much :), I am so glad to see that you are enjoying this thread. I did this partially as a sort of social experiment to see if any of us have common threads / similar interest in particular species (roughly 80% of you guys love T. curvispinosis). Although we sometimes bicker amongst ourselves and stores in the US sometimes fight in order to maintain popularity over others, we are all united by one thing despite what our background is or where we are from : A love of both the natural world and of course, ants. The thought that we are so similar in so many ways is quite humbling and serves as a reminder to me that: "Hey, maybe I'm not so strange after all.". As for your list, I love this one a ton!!! I am glad that someone out there also likes Monomorium, which are often seen as being bland / boring. In my own personal opinion, I think they are extremely varied and less understood than other, more popular genera. I love that reference to "Pinkomyrmex floyderus"  lol. That is one of my favorite species too ;)

Thanks for taking the time to respond so meaningfully!  :)

I think I find native species even more interesting than exotic species; just like you said, the slight variations that differentiate species are just so amazing to study and learn about.

• ctantkeeper and TheAntKing like this

#30 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 8 2017 - 6:09 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Great topic. Love the thread idea and the responses so far all seem to be interesting and fun to read. Here are a few I particularly like in Philly; I've had experiences with most of them, but not all.

Crematogaster cerasi

The Crematogaster genus has to be my favorite overall; I've only encountered a few C. cerasi colonies, and they have each taken my breath away. I think their methodical and organized foraging trails are really cute and their shiny appearance is beautiful. Their queens are very unique; I've decided that their heart-shaped gasters and jet-black coats make them look the most "regal" of all the queens out there.  :)

Temnothorax curvispinosus

Acorn ants are a very close second to Acrobat ants. I've always noticed these little quys running around wooden picnic tables or guarding their homes in rotten logs from other insects. Only until I became actually interested in ants and anting did really realize how impressive these little guys really were. After months of browsing images on Alexander Wild's website, I decided to take some action and do a little research. I contacted a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where I was at school, and set up a time to check out his lab. Dr. Linksvayer and his team of graduate students used ants to monitor and analyze social biological systems as a whole. They took me down to their lab and showed me their 28 Temonothorax curvispinosus colonies (along with 110 Monomorium phaoronis colonies, with over 6 queens each) and explained to me what they did with the ants and how they studied them. After telling them I lived in the suburbs and not the city, they prompted me to go out and look for Temnothorax colonies in acorns in undisturbed forests near where I live. My brother and I have been searching for Temnothorax colonies ever since and look forward to April, when they'll be more active.

Monomorium minimum

First and foremost, I just think their name is really cool; "Monomorium minimum" just rolls off your tongue and sounds nice. I've only ever encountered one Monomorium minimum colony, when I was taking my dog for a walk. This was before I became interested in anting, so I mistook the minuscule workers for "baby" Tetramorium... 

Brachymyrmex depilis

What can I say? I guess I just have a thing for little ants. I've only encountered these ants once as well, also when I was taking my dog on a walk. It was late October, and my brother and I didn't even make it down the driveway before stumbling upon a nuptial flight! We literally couldn't walk without being pelted with male and female alates doing their thing. We didn't even know they were ants, let alone what genus. Luckily, we scooped up a mated queen for inspection and stuffed her in a test tube setup. Now our little queen has over 5 eggs and is thriving!

Nylanderia flavipes

Haven't seen or caught any personally, but I look forward to looking for them in April. From what I've heard, they are closely related to Prenolepis imparis and look like smaller versions of them.

Tetramorium Sp. E

Love their attitude. They seem like one of the most cooperative and clever species out there, and they're everywhere. 

Pinkomyrmex floyderus

Very rare, but interesting species. Nathan actually managed to get his hands on a queen during a nuptial flight! So jealous!

Thank you so much :), I am so glad to see that you are enjoying this thread. I did this partially as a sort of social experiment to see if any of us have common threads / similar interest in particular species (roughly 80% of you guys love T. curvispinosis). Although we sometimes bicker amongst ourselves and stores in the US sometimes fight in order to maintain popularity over others, we are all united by one thing despite what our background is or where we are from : A love of both the natural world and of course, ants. The thought that we are so similar in so many ways is quite humbling and serves as a reminder to me that: "Hey, maybe I'm not so strange after all.". As for your list, I love this one a ton!!! I am glad that someone out there also likes Monomorium, which are often seen as being bland / boring. In my own personal opinion, I think they are extremely varied and less understood than other, more popular genera. I love that reference to "Pinkomyrmex floyderus"  lol. That is one of my favorite species too ;)

Thanks for taking the time to respond so meaningfully!  :)

I think I find native species even more interesting than exotic species; just like you said, the slight variations that differentiate species are just so amazing to study and learn about.

I couldn't agree more :) . When I first started keeping ants, I found a love for exotic species from around the world to be quite contagious. However, upon studying the species of ants that live in my area as well, I began to form a newfound respect for them as well. It just so happens that even in New England, you can still find a diamond in the rough and I wouldn't have it any other way :) . I have been keeping ants for five years now and there are still new discoveries around every corner!!! 

• Martialis likes this

#31 Offline Salmon - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:05 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Pheidole pilifera: This seems to be a very popular one for anyone who lives in the Northeast. Not surprising! I'm a huge sucker for seed- harvesting ants, Pheidole in general, and open sandy areas are my favorite type of insect habitat- what other ant could so beautifully cover all three? I've been known to spend hours lying face down in sunny fields watching little trails of these guys waddle back to their nest with seeds.

Camponotus americanus: I think this species has very beautiful coloration, and I also enjoy the large size and polymorphism shared with other Camponotus. I have an odd preference for ground- nesting Camponotus.

I enjoy how elusive and mysterious this species is due to the fact that it's best sought out after dark with a flashlight. I think of them as the big, gangly Morlocks that emerge by night to terrorize the sandy forest edges.

Crematogaster cerasi: Another frequently mentioned species, it seems. In addition to their unique and attractive appearance, I love their aggressiveness and the sheer size of their colonies.

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis: I'm a big fan of the graceful, fascinating genus Aphaenogaster, and this one is beautifully colored and a neat social parasite.

• Martialis likes this

#32 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 9 2017 - 7:30 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Pheidole  are not harvesters according to my knowledge.

YJK

#33 Offline Martialis - Posted March 9 2017 - 7:32 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Seeds are why their majors exist. That and nest defense.

Spoiler

#34 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 9 2017 - 7:53 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

What? Seeds are why major exists? I find that untrue. My Pheidole pallidula do not eat seeds but this is their second generation of majors. 

YJK

#35 Offline Salmon - Posted March 9 2017 - 8:03 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Pheidole is a huge and diverse genus. P. pilifera is an example of a specialized seed harvester. 

I wouldn't say seeds are necessarily why majors exist in Pheidole though- genera that don't eat seeds also have majors (such as Camponotus) and, as you mentioned, not all Pheidole eat seeds.

• Martialis and Alabama Anter like this

#36 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 9 2017 - 8:06 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Thanks for clearing that up Salmon!

YJK

#37 Offline Martialis - Posted March 9 2017 - 9:42 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Which is why I included nest defense. Camponotus majors are great examples of workers specialized for fighting.

Edited by Martialis, March 9 2017 - 9:42 AM.

Spoiler

#38 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 9 2017 - 12:16 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

What's being forgotten is the major's capacity as food storage. Much of the work, including foraging, is done by smaller castes (more related to age than morphology.)

To keep this relevant:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, a stunning ant from which I am yet to see a queen.

All of the Lasius social parasites, diverse in their forms and behaviors.

• LC3, Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#39 Offline Reevak - Posted March 9 2017 - 1:35 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Prenolepis imparis, Crematogaster cerasi, Tapinoma sessile (if they are capable of double cloning - i heard they were but can't find any information on it)

#40 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 9 2017 - 1:50 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
1.Aphaenogaster tennesseenis
I recall seeing this species once years ago. I still love their coloration and their elongated Thor axes though

2. Lasius interjectus/murphyi
One of the citronella ants with extremely beautiful queens and interesting behaviour.

3. Camponotus castaneus/americanus
I am in love with these large orange or yellow Carpenter ants

4. Formica aserva group
I really love these large ants because of the colour. A little mean though
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users