• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Are Your Favorite Native Ant Species?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 11:57 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Hello, I was a bit curious as to what ant species you guys find to be the most interesting and judging from the diverse list of local some of you guys are from, this should be very interesting. If possible, try to include roughly 3-4 species that are your favorite to keep / observe in the wild and to make it a bit more interesting, feel free to describe their "personalities" (I often don't engage in personifying animals and other organisms as I feel that it degrades their value, but since this is in jest, It might be fun.), anecdotes and various reasons for why that particular species of ant is your favorite / one of your favorites.

In order to get the ball rolling, I will name a few of mine :

Monomorium emarginatum : Though this ant is relatively unassuming, I have found it to be a joy to observe both in the wild and in captivity. Although this species of ant is rather small, In my area it completely monopolizes / benefits transitional habitats surrounding forests by dispersing seeds, breaking down dead arthropods, protecting various host plants, aerating and adding nutrients to soil and out competing other invasive ants. This ant is incredibly hardy and lives within one of the most inhospitable environments one can find ants in new England, where it relies upon the elements to kill their insect prey for them. Without going into to much detail, while writing my research paper on them as well as their biology and behavior, I found their societies to be incredibly intricate and complex, utilizing incredibly fast and efficient means of recruitment, queen adoption and the construction of a wide variety of structures (made entirely of ants) in order to survive (These a just a few examples of interesting adaptations this species possesses.). For the last 31 years, little to no research has been written regarding their behavior and role in the ecosystem to such an extent that in all of this time, know one had ever seen a male. I could write 50 pages for why I love this species so much, but until my research paper is released, it will have to wait. I also find their "personalty" to be rather amusing. They work with utmost efficiency and cooperation and do so with purpose. That and their glossy appearance, small stature and high temper when disturbed make this ant appear as if it takes itself far to seriously. I think we all know a few people who are like this. In conclusion, this tiny little ant at first appeared to be nothing out of the ordinary, but under closer observation, opened up a world of unique behaviors, drama and organization on a completely unprecedented level. This species in short, will always be one of my favorites.

Solenopsis Molesta : This is another minuscule species of ant with intricate and unusual behaviors and a similar personality (although it has less of a temper and is more of a "recluse"). I always take pleasure in trying to find that one S. molesta worker sneaking through a colony of Crematogaster, Tetramorium or Formica (It reminds a bit of "where's Waldo"). Their timid nature, rather "adorable" appearance and interesting and unique social behavior make this species a wonderful find. It's tendency to engage in lestobiotic relationships with other ants makes them an unusual and fascinating ant to study.

Pheidole pilifera : Need I say more? Their dimorphic caste system and unique nest structure (nests in my area are often funnel shaped) make this species quite interesting in my opinion. where I live, their is nothing else like them. I have sadly never been able to get a hold of a queen due to their elusive nature

Temnothorax curvispinosis : a rather colorful and unique little ant that lives within hollow stems and nuts, It's colonies are small and timid and can be found scattered all over the forest floor. I will never forget the first time I cracked open an acorn and found a whole entire civilization within it. There was something almost magical about the experiences that reminded me just how diverse and beautiful life truly is. Although this tiny ant seems quite delicate, it braves harsh winters, fights off slave makers and giant empires hundreds of times the size of their own colonies and lives on the most meager of resources. it is in many ways, the ultimate survivor. In the words of Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park "Nature finds a way".

Other Ant Species I Especially Enjoy Keeping : Tetramorium sp. E, Lasius Neoniger, Aphenogaster sp., Pheidole dentata (not native), Messor barbarus (not native).

• CamponotusLover likes this

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 5 2017 - 12:34 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus floridanus

I like this species because it is one of the largest ants here, and because I love their colors. Camponotus in general are really fascinating and this is the only Camponotus in my area.

Pogonomyrmex badius

There is a wild colony of these at my house and I love watching them. They are the only polymorphic species of Pogonomyrmex and they are very interesting. They are also one of the only fully-claustral Pogonomyrmex, and the only Pogonomyrmex you can find in the Eastern US. I really want a colony of them.

Pheidole morrisii

Although I have never seen a colony of these, I have caught a queen before. This is one of my favorite ant species of all time because they can live in rather diverse locations, with some living in New York and some living all the way in the Florida Keys. This species generally has a lot of history and there's just something about them that I really like.

Pheidole obscurithorax

This species isn't exactly native, but it is one of the most common species in my city along with Solenopsis invicta and Dorymyrmex bureni. They are South American natives and were introduced to my city a long time ago and have since spread to other areas of Northern Florida, along with Southern Alabama, Southern Georgia, and some have even been spotted all the way in Eastern Texas. The majors of this species are large and very cool looking. I have a colony of them and they are my favorite colony at the moment.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 5 2017 - 1:06 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Grew up around them y'know? And always admired how big they were since we don't have many big ants here in new jersey. Or atleast of what I have seen.

Brachamyrmex Depilis

A nice, simple species, and I LOVE the way they are so small and adorable, and the fact that you can raise such a small sized species is amazing and gives a good feeling, of course, I have never had a single worker or egg born from my Brachamymrex D. but I can't wait till it does happen! I also can't wait for nuptial flights! The day I found brachamyrmex depilis was a day during a nuptial flight in which at the time I had 0 queens in test tube, I was just so sad cause I was so exited that for every queen I found at first that I just quickly put the test tube over them and usually kept smashing their gasters (crematogaster gasters) and I just went on my driveway, sat down, and wanted to cry since I was so excited to get a queen that I kept killing every one I found... But I looked down on my driveway floor, and I was like, Tf? What is that?! It was sooooo small, a tiny Brachamymrex depilis queen. My first/second queen I ever cought. c: And after/just before that my brother found me a Crematogaster that at that point the Brachamymex depilis queen that I caught made me happy and more patient so I gently and succesfully got the Crematogaster queen too. Then my brother found a brachamyrmex depilis too, well actually I found it for him, and then I found for him a Lasius Claviger, which at the time I did not know that's what it was called, nor did I know it was socially parasitic. So as you can see, Brachamyrmex D. is very important to me.

Lasius Claviger

I found an amazing hole a few days before a nuptial flight, it was a large hole, if I stuck my thumb in there would still be space, and everyday back then, this hole inside, on the sides of it that is, was covered with these yellow looking ants, and I was so fascinated, it was also the first time I saw alates near a nest, I also noticed that the clouds were gathering so I think they were waiting for something to happen so they could go have nuptial flight, but it wasn't till days after. Anyway, it was really cool, there were HUNDREDS of them there everyday and 1 day I found another hole about a foot away that I hadn't noticed before, that belonged to the same colony. Also their holes are in the front of my house where there is TONS of moss which makes it look alot nicer. However, this amazing colony was brought to an end... Because of me.. However I know their are queens that used to be alates from this colony that have started other colonies. But this particular place, was destroyed, because of me. One day I decided to put a sour patch there. They didn't touch it for 2 days, the third day I came out... I was so... Guilty. There was thousands and thousands of Prenolepis Imparis from a neighboring colony at the sour patch and now entering the Claviger's nest... There was no Lasius claviger there either. I was so upset that eventually I took it out on the attacking prenolepis imparis, and started steping on them... Later on I realized it wasn't their fault either! It was mine. I have learnt my lesson since then. Let nature do its thing, the only way to control an ants life like feeding it etc is to raise your own colony from the start. The very next day.. There was a nuptial flight. But again, because of me, many alates didn't get their chance to shine. However in the back of my house, near the shed door, there is a MASSIVE Lasius C. colony! 1000s!!!!! During nuptial flight there wasn't an inch of space without an alate/drone for atleast 5ftx5ft, every inch of space had tons of alates/drones, and what was even cooler was that they were using my shed door as a airport, so they would climb to the very top of the door, NOTE: Thousands were doing it at once so it looked amazing. And they would fly off the door once they got high enough. Heh! Awesome it was to me. However it was disturbing because all those ants live in our walls...  Like I can only imagine.

Prenolepis Imparis

Amazing ants to me, in the back of my house there is a colony of them with hundreds at least, and they have such a huge trail that I noticed them in last year, it goes from under my steps to atleast 10-15 feet away and behind an old broken honda in our driveway.

I love watching all of these.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 5 2017 - 1:18 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

My favorite ant is Crematogaster Cerasi , as they look very interesting and they have huge lines across the sidewalk. I've seen 1 colony in my neighborhood.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 1:53 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Camponotus floridanus

I like this species because it is one of the largest ants here, and because I love their colors. Camponotus in general are really fascinating and this is the only Camponotus in my area.

Pogonomyrmex badius

There is a wild colony of these at my house and I love watching them. They are the only polymorphic species of Pogonomyrmex and they are very interesting. They are also one of the only fully-claustral Pogonomyrmex, and the only Pogonomyrmex you can find in the Eastern US. I really want a colony of them.

Pheidole morrisii

Although I have never seen a colony of these, I have caught a queen before. This is one of my favorite ant species of all time because they can live in rather diverse locations, with some living in New York and some living all the way in the Florida Keys. This species generally has a lot of history and there's just something about them that I really like.

Pheidole obscurithorax

This species isn't exactly native, but it is one of the most common species in my city along with Solenopsis invicta and Dorymyrmex bureni. They are South American natives and were introduced to my city a long time ago and have since spread to other areas of Northern Florida, along with Southern Alabama, Southern Georgia, and some have even been spotted all the way in Eastern Texas. The majors of this species are large and very cool looking. I have a colony of them and they are my favorite colony at the moment.

Thanks so much for posting!!! awesome selection btw. Invasive species are more than fine. I just thought narrowing it down to native species would allow us to talk about more obscure species instead of having everyone say Atta, Myrmecocystus or Ocephylla.

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 1:55 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Grew up around them y'know? And always admired how big they were since we don't have many big ants here in new jersey. Or atleast of what I have seen.

Brachamyrmex Depilis

A nice, simple species, and I LOVE the way they are so small and adorable, and the fact that you can raise such a small sized species is amazing and gives a good feeling, of course, I have never had a single worker or egg born from my Brachamymrex D. but I can't wait till it does happen! I also can't wait for nuptial flights! The day I found brachamyrmex depilis was a day during a nuptial flight in which at the time I had 0 queens in test tube, I was just so sad cause I was so exited that for every queen I found at first that I just quickly put the test tube over them and usually kept smashing their gasters (crematogaster gasters) and I just went on my driveway, sat down, and wanted to cry since I was so excited to get a queen that I kept killing every one I found... But I looked down on my driveway floor, and I was like, Tf? What is that?! It was sooooo small, a tiny Brachamymrex depilis queen. My first/second queen I ever cought. c: And after/just before that my brother found me a Crematogaster that at that point the Brachamymex depilis queen that I caught made me happy and more patient so I gently and succesfully got the Crematogaster queen too. Then my brother found a brachamyrmex depilis too, well actually I found it for him, and then I found for him a Lasius Claviger, which at the time I did not know that's what it was called, nor did I know it was socially parasitic. So as you can see, Brachamyrmex D. is very important to me.

Lasius Claviger

I found an amazing hole a few days before a nuptial flight, it was a large hole, if I stuck my thumb in there would still be space, and everyday back then, this hole inside, on the sides of it that is, was covered with these yellow looking ants, and I was so fascinated, it was also the first time I saw alates near a nest, I also noticed that the clouds were gathering so I think they were waiting for something to happen so they could go have nuptial flight, but it wasn't till days after. Anyway, it was really cool, there were HUNDREDS of them there everyday and 1 day I found another hole about a foot away that I hadn't noticed before, that belonged to the same colony. Also their holes are in the front of my house where there is TONS of moss which makes it look alot nicer. However, this amazing colony was brought to an end... Because of me.. However I know their are queens that used to be alates from this colony that have started other colonies. But this particular place, was destroyed, because of me. One day I decided to put a sour patch there. They didn't touch it for 2 days, the third day I came out... I was so... Guilty. There was thousands and thousands of Prenolepis Imparis from a neighboring colony at the sour patch and now entering the Claviger's nest... There was no Lasius claviger there either. I was so upset that eventually I took it out on the attacking prenolepis imparis, and started steping on them... Later on I realized it wasn't their fault either! It was mine. I have learnt my lesson since then. Let nature do its thing, the only way to control an ants life like feeding it etc is to raise your own colony from the start. The very next day.. There was a nuptial flight. But again, because of me, many alates didn't get their chance to shine. However in the back of my house, near the shed door, there is a MASSIVE Lasius C. colony! 1000s!!!!! During nuptial flight there wasn't an inch of space without an alate/drone for atleast 5ftx5ft, every inch of space had tons of alates/drones, and what was even cooler was that they were using my shed door as a airport, so they would climb to the very top of the door, NOTE: Thousands were doing it at once so it looked amazing. And they would fly off the door once they got high enough. Heh! Awesome it was to me. However it was disturbing because all those ants live in our walls...  Like I can only imagine.

Prenolepis Imparis

Amazing ants to me, in the back of my house there is a colony of them with hundreds at least, and they have such a huge trail that I noticed them in last year, it goes from under my steps to atleast 10-15 feet away and behind an old broken honda in our driveway.

Brachymyrmex are also one of my favorites as well. I also love how colorful Prenolepis imparis queens can be!!! Believe it or not, I have tried over and over to get a colony of Brachymyrmex depilis up and running, but they have never made it passed the founding period. I guess we are both dealing with a similar problem. I wish you the best of luck btw :)

Edited by ctantkeeper, March 5 2017 - 1:57 PM.

#7 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 5 2017 - 2:04 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Brachamyrmex Depilis

Lasius Claviger

Prenolepis Imparis

Brachymyrmex are also one of my favorites as well. I also love how colorful Prenolepis imparis queens can be!!! Believe it or not, I have tried over and over to get a colony of Brachymyrmex depilis up and running, but they have never made it passed the founding period. I guess we are both dealing with a similar problem. I wish you the best of luck btw :)

Thank you!!!! I have had Brachamyrmex since october of last year! In which I put them in hibernation about a 1 month later! I woke them up two days ago! Thanks btw!

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted March 5 2017 - 2:07 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Technically, people in the southeastern U.S. could say Solenopsis geminata. :P 

I like all ants personally.

Spoiler

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 5 2017 - 2:20 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Ordered from most favorite to least favorite

1. Lasius neoniger

This sp. has been with me since the very beginning. They are the most common ant here and I just love how simplistic they are;  A perfect example of a nice, native ant. You can also use them as hosts for a Lasius parasite colony!

2. Prenolepis imparis

The most beautiful ant in the world (especially the workers!), I think. They are a common sp where I live, and it is so fun to watch them climb their trees and drink their sap. Their wonky schedule is also quite unique; Active winters and inactive summers.

3. Lasius claviger

A dream ant to keep. Common, but difficult as balls to raise. The queens are sick looking, the colonies enormous. It is always a joy to find an open colony ready for flight, and their openings spread over a large area. Of course, the main attraction is that they are temporary social parasites.

4. Temnothorax curvispinosus

A beautiful species. I have personally never found any, but their unique nesting habit (in acorns) is interesting. Tiny ants, too. Love small ants.  <3

5. Pheidole pilifera

probably the most dreamy, and elusive, ant in New England. I mean, Big-Headed ants in New England, one of the coldest places in the US? Heck yeah!  I have never found these due to how rare they are but this will probably be my down-the-road goal as an ant keeper.

#10 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:03 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

1.  Solenopsis invicta: ​My first colony and my enemy... hehe

2. ​Camponotus floridanus: ​I love their unique coloration and the size of their super majors.

3. Pogonomyrmex badius: ​As my only native harvester, they are my favorite!

4. Trachymyrmex sp. ​One reason; FUNGUS GROWERS

5. ​Odontomachus brunneus: ​Best Trap jaws ever!

YJK

#11 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:15 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Brachamyrmex Depilis

Lasius Claviger

Prenolepis Imparis

Thank you!!!! I have had Brachamyrmex since october of last year! In which I put them in hibernation about a 1 month later! I woke them up two days ago! Thanks btw!

No Prob Man  ;)

2. ​Camponotus floridanus: ​I love their unique coloration and the size of their super majors.

If I lived in your area, my list would probably be very similar lol

#12 Offline Kevin - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:17 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

5. Pheidole pilifera

probably the most dreamy, and elusive, ant in New England. I mean, Big-Headed ants in New England, one of the coldest places in the US? Heck yeah!  I have never found these due to how rare they are but this will probably be my down-the-road goal as an ant keeper.

I caught so many of those. I didn't have any surviving colonies due to some noob mistakes... I really want to get a big colony of them.

• Nathant2131 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#13 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:18 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Technically, people in the southeastern U.S. could say Solenopsis geminata. :P

I like all ants personally.

As long as an invasive is commonly found within your state, it is fair game. I live in CT and Solenopsis geminata does not live here, so I wouldn't mention that species in my list. 

#14 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:23 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

1. Lasius neoniger

This sp. has been with me since the very beginning. They are the most common ant here and I just love how simplistic they are;  A perfect example of a nice, native ant. You can also use them as hosts for a Lasius parasite colony!

2. Prenolepis imparis

The most beautiful ant in the world (especially the workers!), I think. They are a common sp where I live, and it is so fun to watch them climb their trees and drink their sap. Their wonky schedule is also quite unique; Active winters and inactive summers.

3. Lasius claviger

A dream ant to keep. Common, but difficult as balls to raise. The queens are sick looking, the colonies enormous. It is always a joy to find an open colony ready for flight, and their openings spread over a large area. Of course, the main attraction is that they are temporary social parasites.

A beautiful species. I have personally never found any, but their unique nesting habit (in acorns) is interesting. Tiny ants, too. Love small ants.  <3

5. Pheidole pilifera

Love this list!!! I would of put Lasius neoniger in my list if i wasn't basing mine around species that I particularly enjoy observing in the wild. They will always have a place in my heart as one of my favorite ants to rear!!! Btw, I have to ask and I am sorry if this is too forward, but are you from New England and if so, what part? If so, we should totally hang out sometime. There are so few antkeepers here :(

#15 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:35 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Great topic. Love the thread idea and the responses so far all seem to be interesting and fun to read. Here are a few I particularly like in Philly; I've had experiences with most of them, but not all.

Crematogaster cerasi

The Crematogaster genus has to be my favorite overall; I've only encountered a few C. cerasi colonies, and they have each taken my breath away. I think their methodical and organized foraging trails are really cute and their shiny appearance is beautiful. Their queens are very unique; I've decided that their heart-shaped gasters and jet-black coats make them look the most "regal" of all the queens out there.  :)

Temnothorax curvispinosus

Acorn ants are a very close second to Acrobat ants. I've always noticed these little quys running around wooden picnic tables or guarding their homes in rotten logs from other insects. Only until I became actually interested in ants and anting did really realize how impressive these little guys really were. After months of browsing images on Alexander Wild's website, I decided to take some action and do a little research. I contacted a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where I was at school, and set up a time to check out his lab. Dr. Linksvayer and his team of graduate students used ants to monitor and analyze social biological systems as a whole. They took me down to their lab and showed me their 28 Temonothorax curvispinosus colonies (along with 110 Monomorium phaoronis colonies, with over 6 queens each) and explained to me what they did with the ants and how they studied them. After telling them I lived in the suburbs and not the city, they prompted me to go out and look for Temnothorax colonies in acorns in undisturbed forests near where I live. My brother and I have been searching for Temnothorax colonies ever since and look forward to April, when they'll be more active.

Monomorium minimum

First and foremost, I just think their name is really cool; "Monomorium minimum" just rolls off your tongue and sounds nice. I've only ever encountered one Monomorium minimum colony, when I was taking my dog for a walk. This was before I became interested in anting, so I mistook the minuscule workers for "baby" Tetramorium... 

Brachymyrmex depilis

What can I say? I guess I just have a thing for little ants. I've only encountered these ants once as well, also when I was taking my dog on a walk. It was late October, and my brother and I didn't even make it down the driveway before stumbling upon a nuptial flight! We literally couldn't walk without being pelted with male and female alates doing their thing. We didn't even know they were ants, let alone what genus. Luckily, we scooped up a mated queen for inspection and stuffed her in a test tube setup. Now our little queen has over 5 eggs and is thriving!

Nylanderia flavipes

Haven't seen or caught any personally, but I look forward to looking for them in April. From what I've heard, they are closely related to Prenolepis imparis and look like smaller versions of them.

Tetramorium Sp. E

Love their attitude. They seem like one of the most cooperative and clever species out there, and they're everywhere. 

Pinkomyrmex floyderus

Very rare, but interesting species. Nathan actually managed to get his hands on a queen during a nuptial flight! So jealous!

• Martialis, Nathant2131 and TheAntKing like this

#16 Online Leo - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:49 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Odontomachus sp:

large and slow growing, VERY cool look nuff said

pheidole

the entire genus, they are just so adorable

#17 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:49 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

1. Lasius neoniger

2. Prenolepis imparis

3. Lasius claviger

5. Pheidole pilifera

Love this list!!! I would of put Lasius neoniger in my list if i wasn't basing mine around species that I particularly enjoy observing in the wild. They will always have a place in my heart as one of my favorite ants to rear!!! Btw, I have to ask and I am sorry if this is too forward, but are you from New England and if so, what part? If so, we should totally hang out sometime. There are so few antkeepers here :(

I live in Northern MA, a small town near Boston. You should definitely check out this thread from ACAF. We New Englanders are very active on that topic and it is very useful for us. Take the time to read it all and also post anything flight-related. I think this is the largest thread of ACAF.

Not only that we are relatively far away, I unfortunately am young and cannot drive or anything. So we can't meet up.  :(

• Martialis likes this

#18 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 5 2017 - 3:51 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Great topic. Love the thread idea and the responses so far all seem to be interesting and fun to read. Here are a few I particularly like in Philly; I've had experiences with most of them, but not all.

Crematogaster cerasi

The Crematogaster genus has to be my favorite overall; I've only encountered a few C. cerasi colonies, and they have each taken my breath away. I think their methodical and organized foraging trails are really cute and their shiny appearance is beautiful. Their queens are very unique; I've decided that their heart-shaped gasters and jet-black coats make them look the most "regal" of all the queens out there.  :)

Acorn ants are a very close second to Acrobat ants. I've always noticed these little quys running around wooden picnic tables or guarding their homes in rotten logs from other insects. Only until I became actually interested in ants and anting did really realize how impressive these little guys really were. After months of browsing images on Alexander Wild's website, I decided to take some action and do a little research. I contacted a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where I was at school, and set up a time to check out his lab. Dr. Linksvayer and his team of graduate students used ants to monitor and analyze social biological systems as a whole. They took me down to their lab and showed me their 28 Temonothorax curvispinosus colonies (along with 110 Monomorium phaoronis colonies, with over 6 queens each) and explained to me what they did with the ants and how they studied them. After telling them I lived in the suburbs and not the city, they prompted me to go out and look for Temnothorax colonies in acorns in undisturbed forests near where I live. My brother and I have been searching for Temnothorax colonies ever since and look forward to April, when they'll be more active.

Monomorium minimum

First and foremost, I just think their name is really cool; "Monomorium minimum" just rolls off your tongue and sounds nice. I've only ever encountered one Monomorium minimum colony, when I was taking my dog for a walk. This was before I became interested in anting, so I mistook the minuscule workers for "baby" Tetramorium... 

Brachymyrmex depilis

What can I say? I guess I just have a thing for little ants. I've only encountered these ants once as well, also when I was taking my dog on a walk. It was late October, and my brother and I didn't even make it down the driveway before stumbling upon a nuptial flight! We literally couldn't walk without being pelted with male and female alates doing their thing. We didn't even know they were ants, let alone what genus. Luckily, we scooped up a mated queen for inspection and stuffed her in a test tube setup. Now our little queen has over 5 eggs and is thriving!

Nylanderia flavipes

Haven't seen or caught any personally, but I look forward to looking for them in April. From what I've heard, they are closely related to Prenolepis imparis and look like smaller versions of them.

Tetramorium Sp. E

Love their attitude. They seem like one of the most cooperative and clever species out there, and they're everywhere. 

Pinkomyrmex floyderus

Very rare, but interesting species. Nathan actually managed to get his hands on a queen during a nuptial flight! So jealous!

I have an N. flavipes colony in my yard. This is the only time I have seen them but they are very small and have a cool color. Nylanderia parvula looks even more like Prenolepis imparis, by the way.. Have never seen them though.

#19 Offline Martialis - Posted March 5 2017 - 4:03 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Aren't S. invicta non-native? I can see where you're coming from, though. 

Spoiler

#20 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 5 2017 - 4:34 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Crematogaster cerasi

Monomorium minimum

Brachymyrmex depilis

Nylanderia flavipes

Tetramorium Sp. E

Pinkomyrmex floyderus

Thank you so much :), I am so glad to see that you are enjoying this thread. I did this partially as a sort of social experiment to see if any of us have common threads / similar interest in particular species (roughly 80% of you guys love T. curvispinosis). Although we sometimes bicker amongst ourselves and stores in the US sometimes fight in order to maintain popularity over others, we are all united by one thing despite what our background is or where we are from : A love of both the natural world and of course, ants. The thought that we are so similar in so many ways is quite humbling and serves as a reminder to me that: "Hey, maybe I'm not so strange after all.". As for your list, I love this one a ton!!! I am glad that someone out there also likes Monomorium, which are often seen as being bland / boring. In my own personal opinion, I think they are extremely varied and less understood than other, more popular genera. I love that reference to "Pinkomyrmex floyderus"  lol. That is one of my favorite species too ;)

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users