• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Its been a bit since I have been on! But here's something-

hibernation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 2 2017 - 11:21 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Okay so, the last time I was on here was probably october/november, a.k.a around the time we were putting them ants into hibernation, I just came back after idk 4-5 months now, anyhow, its good to be back.

I have a bit of a problem though, you see, I live in New Jersey as some of you know, and lately, our winter has been very pathetic... We have had 2-3 weeks of PERFECT, if not hot, weather. Which worries me that my ants already woke up, and its like mid/ending mid winter. Anyhow, starting today/tommorow, really cold days will begin, like legit when its only 18-19 days from spring.. I plan on keeping them hibernating and unbothered till the 21st of march, this month.

Is this bad?

I have never experianced a winter in new jersey with so few cold days..

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted March 2 2017 - 12:21 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Yeah, this winter was weird. Keep your ants at what would be regular temperatures - they run on a biological clock and can be woken up now.

• CamponotusLover likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 2 2017 - 1:10 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I took mine out of hibernation last month and put them in a room that gets heating. Also given that I saw quite a few species foraging, and caught four Prenolepis queens within the past week, I figured it was about time. Your ants might already be out of hibernation. Check for new eggs or workers to ensure they are still in hibernation.

#4 Offline iXvXi - Posted March 2 2017 - 6:21 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm in NJ too. Winter is barley fall weather this year. I keep mine in the basement that doesn't get to crazy temperature variations so I'm lucky on that.

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow but we'll see.

When it's warmer, I give them a sugar source so if they forage they will take to it so I don't have to warm them up myself.

Only my Tetramorium colony is somewhat active.

I need the cold weather so I can clean/redo their nests and clean up my desk. Fingers crossed

Edited by iXvXi, March 2 2017 - 6:25 PM.

#5 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 2 2017 - 7:37 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Yeah, this winter was weird. Keep your ants at what would be regular temperatures - they run on a biological clock and can be woken up now.

Yeah! Although does that mean I should wake them up? Also thanks for the advice!

I took mine out of hibernation last month and put them in a room that gets heating. Also given that I saw quite a few species foraging, and caught four Prenolepis queens within the past week, I figured it was about time. Your ants might already be out of hibernation. Check for new eggs or workers to ensure they are still in hibernation.

oh! I will do so! But I feel I should wait a few days!

I'm in NJ too. Winter is barley fall weather this year. I keep mine in the basement that doesn't get to crazy temperature variations so I'm lucky on that.

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow but we'll see.

When it's warmer, I give them a sugar source so if they forage they will take to it so I don't have to warm them up myself.

Only my Tetramorium colony is somewhat active.

I need the cold weather so I can clean/redo their nests and clean up my desk. Fingers crossed

Agreed! Mine is in a basement too! Which usualy is around 50 degrees F! Also I haven't checked my ants AT ALL during this winter since I put them in hibernation, nor have I given any food, hm! Maybe I should?

#6 Offline AntDomination - Posted March 3 2017 - 5:24 AM

AntDomination

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationArglye, TX

Thanks! I didn't know they hibernated in captivity.... :)

#7 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted March 3 2017 - 7:23 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Thanks! I didn't know they hibernated in captivity.... :)

Oh! Well they do! Just make sure they are at the right temperature!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users