• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Myrmica? Colony 2014

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dermy - Posted September 29 2014 - 10:33 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Big update I have decided to add another foraging tank to the colony [looks even cooler than I thought it would] and I have to say what a job and a half that was to do! I had to cut a hole small enough but also big enough to fit the tubing in and ants where pouring out of there like water! So I but them in the freezer for about 4 minutes [I kept careful eye on them] and they went to sleep so I could cut the hole and add the second foraging tank. It only took 2 minutes but within that amount of time they where already awake and swarming [they seem to like to do that] I also noticed the queens went into the older foraging tank, which I didn't mind [they moved back in the nest after I did what I had to do.] Here is the before pic:
IMG_3876_zps5a1ec2bf.jpg
and Here it is now:
IMG_3883_zps6c22d030.jpg
Foraging tank#1-
IMG_3885_zpsc51b82c3.jpg
[That's where all the queens ran to, they where still a bit sleepy in that picture]
Foraging Tank#2-
IMG_3892_zpsc6df90d7.jpg
Few pics of the nest:[I added more paper towel as it seemed to work well before.
IMG_3886_zps9b30cc68.jpg
IMG_3890_zps6f8223d9.jpg
I know it's not the best setup but these ants have adapted quite well to Captivity, I think anyway.

#22 Offline Crystals - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:04 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice.

Myrmica were my first colony.  Very easy going and easy to contain.  They accept almost any nest and will move readily if the new nest looks better.

Mine loved fruit flies and spiders.  They also went bonkers for hummingbird nectar.

Mine always liked additional heat, but the rooms were pretty cool.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#23 Offline dermy - Posted September 29 2014 - 11:27 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Mine don't seem to mind my room [which is too hot for most people] it must be at least 22-25C in there!

Thanks I have begun feeding them in preparation for winter. They will take almost anything from me, which is why I like them, they don't need nothing special, just some variety, I've never really given them a solo insect diet, ie. just flies or just spiders. I always go for variety, such as a fly today a spider tomorrow a harvestmen spider the next and so on.

#24 Offline dermy - Posted October 9 2014 - 2:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Colony in hibernation now! I will not wake them up till spring.

#25 Offline dermy - Posted November 8 2014 - 11:11 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

So I have them in hibernation in a new "Formicarium" because I'm sick of dealing with, mould, ant loses and everything else you could think of. It's a miracle these ants are still alive. I guess that's why they do so well in my yard.

Here is a not so great picture of how they are hibernating.

IMG_4906_zps8350d670.jpg

#26 Offline dermy - Posted July 18 2015 - 3:08 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I don't know if anyone remembers this colony, or cares haha. But I have since taken them out on around Febuary 2015 now [July 16/2015] I have thrown them back into Hibernation. The Colony went from the measly little 15 workers to around 60+ and I got a good feeling that they will be doing just fine in Hibernation and eventually back up and running in Late Fall/Early winter!

#27 Offline LC3 - Posted July 18 2015 - 8:07 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I'll never forget about Myrmica. XD haha. Wish I could get a decent colony going.

#28 Offline dermy - Posted July 21 2015 - 2:26 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

It can take a bit of work that's for sure. I got most of my "Successful Colonies" from just taking huge ones from Birch Trees that are used for fire-wood.

#29 Offline Crystals - Posted July 21 2015 - 6:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I'll never forget about Myrmica. XD haha. Wish I could get a decent colony going.

Every part of BC I ever visited usually had Aphaenogaster instead of Myrmica, but they are out there.

Unlike Dermy, I find most of my colonies under rocks/objects in sandy locations.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#30 Offline LC3 - Posted July 21 2015 - 5:20 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Every part of BC I ever visited usually had Aphaenogaster instead of Myrmica, but they are out there.

Unlike Dermy, I find most of my colonies under rocks/objects in sandy locations.

Myrmica are pretty common here, maybe more common than Tetramorium, but they don't forage openly, usually amon grass or hiding underground. I find them in soil and rotten logs however you need to provoke their home in order to get them out of the ground.  (Then they swarm and bite between your fingers :lol: )

#31 Offline dermy - Posted July 21 2015 - 10:47 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yes they love to bite inbetween the fingers hurts a lot!

#32 Offline dermy - Posted August 3 2015 - 10:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I had to break the Hibernation for about 2 hrs whilst I cleaned out their jar, it was nasty! Slimy and disgusting! I did get a nice queen count, 21 queens. There is about 50 workers in the colony and no brood.

#33 Offline LC3 - Posted August 3 2015 - 11:08 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I once put a queen in the freezer of 4min + and she was still A ok. My Camponotus couldn't even last for 2min+ before curling up and going to sleep (not dead). I heard that larvae act like a colony gut for polygynous colonies or something, giving the workers motivation to find food and encouraging queens to lay more eggs or something.I dunno.XP 

#34 Offline dermy - Posted August 3 2015 - 11:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

My queens will start laying eggs probably almost immediately after I take them out in about 3-5 m

#35 Offline LC3 - Posted August 3 2015 - 11:23 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Ok

#36 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted August 9 2015 - 9:19 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

I heard that larvae act like a colony gut for polygynous colonies or something, giving the workers motivation to find food and encouraging queens to lay more eggs or something.I dunno.XP 

This is actually the case with most ant species, both polygynous and monogynous.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#37 Offline dermy - Posted August 9 2015 - 12:52 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Cool, so does it work like with wasps? I have heard the wasps will go out and catch prey, chew it up and then give it to the larvae. Then the larvae secrete a special saliva mix that gives the workers more energy to go out and do more hunting.

• Myrmicinae and LC3 like this

#38 Offline Crystals - Posted August 10 2015 - 6:50 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Cool, so does it work like with wasps? I have heard the wasps will go out and catch prey, chew it up and then give it to the larvae. Then the larvae secrete a special saliva mix that gives the workers more energy to go out and do more hunting.

I believe the larvae somehow produce sugar for the adult wasps.  That is why the wasps get so slow and dopey in fall and search for sweets relentlessly, the larvae aren't growing much and aren't producing much sugar.

• dermy likes this

My Colonies

#39 Offline Crystals - Posted August 10 2015 - 6:51 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Myrmica are pretty common here, maybe more common than Tetramorium, but they don't forage openly, usually amon grass or hiding underground. I find them in soil and rotten logs however you need to provoke their home in order to get them out of the ground.  (Then they swarm and bite between your fingers :lol: )

If you are in BC, you should not have Tetramorium.  It has not been found there yet.  Probably one of the other 2-noded species.  https://www.antweb.o...nts&images=true

My Colonies

#40 Offline LC3 - Posted August 10 2015 - 5:22 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Nah pretty sure it's Tetramorium all right, Just because it hasn't been found doesn't mean it can't exist.
I have encountered a bunch of Tetras (in different colours too) everywhere even have a colony of them but who knows maybe we don't have Tetras :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users