• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus decipiens Journal (Updated 4/18/21)

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 20 2018 - 2:33 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 20, 2018

I tried feeding the colony crickets (I was only feeding them mealworms and moths for a while) and it seems to be what they enjoy the most. I have never seen them be so excited over food before. Since they've been eating crickets, I've notice quick growth in all the larvae and eggs were being laid again. It has been such a long time since this colony had eggs or growing larvae. They also just got some pupae. I counted about 50 eggs in the nest yesterday.

There are still around 50 workers (as it has been for months) but that will finally change soon. It is great to see this colony being productive again, since they basically stopped growing in July/August of last year. 

More updates should be on the way as I hope they will continue to grow this entire year. Who knows, it may even be possible for them to reach maturity by the end of 2018! Crickets are the miracle food :)

nUbmkn0.jpg

IkjMOYN.jpg

baIf9mO.jpg

t729Zno.jpg

Nx5Jz22.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 13 2018 - 9:10 AM.

• rdurham02, FeedTheAnts, Mettcollsuss and 2 others like this

#62 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 19 2018 - 6:12 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Amazing colony. For some reason, I can no longer see the pictures, they were perfect before. Just thought I'd let you know! Keep up the great work.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#63 Offline Waganga - Posted May 12 2018 - 5:31 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

I think I'm a new owner of one of these queens (or something else very similar?) I know you keep them heated, but I was wondering what you think their ideal temperature is. Any advice?

Also only seeing broken pictures.  :( Hoping to see them again, I'd like to compare!

#64 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 13 2018 - 9:28 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Amazing colony. For some reason, I can no longer see the pictures, they were perfect before. Just thought I'd let you know! Keep up the great work.

I think I'm a new owner of one of these queens (or something else very similar?) I know you keep them heated, but I was wondering what you think their ideal temperature is. Any advice?

Also only seeing broken pictures.  :( Hoping to see them again, I'd like to compare!

I fixed all of the photos, guys. I had to switch them to a new hosting site.  :D

Waganga, I am keeping mine at 82-83F and they seem to enjoy those temperatures the best. Any lower may slow down their brood growth a little, and any higher might force them to move out of their formicarium.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 13, 2018

Small update, the colony is doing very well. I am pretty sure they have now exceeded 100 workers and the queen is still regularly laying eggs. I kinda want to let them grow a little more and then try to move them into a new formicarium that is easier to photograph. The nest they are in right now makes it difficult to take pictures of all the workers and brood. I am seeing LOTS of large brood, most likely just lots of majors. 

fdhhPNz.jpg

B82XhLH.jpg

mtmSMQA.jpg

They also just got this very large major last week. I did not even know the majors of this species could get such large heads.

s6p2wMC.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 13 2018 - 9:31 AM.

• Jonathan21700, rdurham02, Karma and 1 other like this

#65 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 10 2018 - 5:01 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I believe that last major is a supermajor (if that is a real thing or just a AntsCanada thing).

#66 Offline AntsSouthAfrica - Posted October 11 2018 - 3:34 AM

AntsSouthAfrica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Awesome, these remind me of my late camponotus queen. She looks similar but from another continent, I got her in december last year and she died in may, in just 5 months her colony peaked at 60 workers. The worst part is, she is quite possibly a new ant species!

Sadness. :(

#67 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted October 11 2018 - 5:26 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Very nice looking ants.

#68 Offline neoponera - Posted November 18 2018 - 8:16 PM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico

hibernation?

#69 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 30 2018 - 12:38 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Update?
  • B_rad0806 likes this

#70 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 13 2019 - 4:16 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 13, 2019

I've changed the title of this journal from Camponotus discolor to Camponotus decipiens because I've since realized that these ants are in fact decipiens rather than the more uncommon species C. discolor. Basically, C. discolor has a hairy face (more similar to C. caryae) while decipiens has a rather hairless face like C. nearcticus. In Florida, C. decipiens are the much more widespread and prominent species between the two.

The colony that I started this journal with unfortunately went through a downward spiral over the last few months. They became picky again, lost a LOT of workers, stopped laying eggs, and now they only have a few workers left with no brood at all. The post I made last May was them at their best point, and after that they just got worse. I decided a couple months ago that if I find a new decipiens queen this year that I would release the old colony and just start over new.

On February 27, 2019, I caught a single queen in my pool. I was very lucky to find her the day I did because I was going to leave town the day after that and could've missed the flight altogether.

VZD6BKj.jpg

When I checked on her yesterday (3/12), I found that she had shed two wings and laid two eggs, after two weeks of restless cotton-pulling.

ZSw8gRn.jpg

0MFkkPK.jpg

cH9iNRS.jpg

• brian likes this

#71 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted March 17 2019 - 9:35 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Good luck!  What do you think accounted for the downward spiral?  I just caught a small C. nearcticus (all black, but way smaller than C. pennsylvanicus) colony for my brother.  I have them in a Genesis Test Tube for now while he figures out what formicarium he ultimately wants them in.

Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#72 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 30 2019 - 3:08 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

April 30, 2019

The first nanitic hatched yesterday. This queen's egg-to-worker journey took 7 weeks as opposed to the 4 weeks it took for my queen back in 2017. I'm pretty sure it's because my 2017 queen's setup was a few degrees warmer than the test tube my current queen is in. I just never expected it to take nearly twice as long.

qKKF0t4.jpg

wagk58j.jpg

6qms7q6.jpg

• brian, Karma, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#73 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 27 2019 - 9:13 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 27, 2019

13 workers now. Queen still has her wing.

O2mVrz2.jpg

• brian, TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this

#74 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 27 2019 - 9:37 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

So red. So beautiful. Well done my little Floridian friend.

#75 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2020 - 8:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Update?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#76 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 1 2020 - 3:08 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Update?

I keep selling them so I don't have any now.

#77 Offline nixxx - Posted October 5 2020 - 5:39 PM

nixxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Great journal and amazing photos ! Thanks for sharing !

#78 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 21 2021 - 5:48 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 13, 2021

On March 13, I found a single queen of this species floating in the pool, as usual. I did not find any more after that.

7RQK5hB.jpg

March 21, 2021

Today she is wingless and has three eggs. For the last two years I've sold and given away my small colonies of this species, but this time I will keep them for myself as I did in the old days.

qH25B3S.jpg

rwyrUYF.jpg

48thNE0.jpg

F2HDruk.jpg

oP7dnQU.jpg

hUIcZjX.jpg

DoirMcv.jpg

• brian, TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

#79 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 21 2021 - 6:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yay! can't wait to see this queen hopefully prosper. One of my favorite ants you have down south.

• Aaron567 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#80 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 18 2021 - 12:35 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

April 18, 2021

The first two nanitics have eclosed. I forgot how tiny they were.

ieedN38.jpg

oMb3eSS.jpg

hYkuvvu.jpg

• brian, TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users