• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus decipiens Journal (Updated 4/18/21)

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 16 2017 - 3:09 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
See Serafine/Anthony! Wow Aaron! Good luck!

YJK

#22 Offline Leo - Posted March 16 2017 - 3:59 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

that is even faster than mine!

#23 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 24 2017 - 9:30 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 24, 2017

It has now been exactly 1 month since I caught this queen, and 23 days since she has laid eggs.

She has 3 pupae, 1 large larva, a few small larvae, and some eggs. I have never seen a queen so protective over her brood. When I check on her, she stands in front of them and guards them.

I can't wait for nanitics!

mpakC5h.jpg

v3wBoN8.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 13 2018 - 8:51 AM.

#24 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 24 2017 - 8:00 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Camponotus floridanus are one of the ugliest species I've ever seen. I don't know why you've decided to keep this queen.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#25 Offline Goldsystem - Posted March 28 2017 - 9:56 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Camponotus floridanus are one of the ugliest species I've ever seen. I don't know why you've decided to keep this queen.

How was this helpful? Anyways good luck with your Queen! I'm excited to see her first workers! :)

Edited by Goldsystem, March 28 2017 - 9:58 AM.

• noobkeeper likes this

#26 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 28 2017 - 12:12 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I find them awesome! I would totally jump for a chance to keep these ants!

Not sure where your from, but you don't really just 'decide' to keep ants all the time. I wish I could 'decide' to keep honeypot ants, but they aren't in my area. Being negative doesn't really help the hobby grow.

#27 Offline endervale - Posted March 28 2017 - 1:14 PM

endervale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationitaly, rome

i find them exquisite! that is a really nice bicolored and fast developing Camponotus, here in europe we have only slow-developing, black and destructive Camponotus like Camponotus vagus

Edited by endervale, March 28 2017 - 1:20 PM.

• Ants4fun likes this

#28 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 30 2017 - 2:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 30, 2017

30 days ago, my Camponotus decipiens queen laid her eggs, and now she has her first nanitic! She just eclosed today and is still callow. She will eventually be the same red color as the queen.

She is 4mm in length. As the colony grows, of course, there will be larger workers.

ZBmaxpK.jpg

8aLBV2S.jpg

2nJ8Cby.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, March 12 2019 - 8:25 PM.

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#29 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 30 2017 - 5:12 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Oh my god! SO pretty!!!! Good Luck Aaron.

YJK

#30 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 6 2017 - 3:24 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

April 6, 2017

This colony just got their 3rd nanitic yesterday. They are doing well. I tried to feed them some mealworms but they didn't seem to enjoy them very much. I also fed them a drop of honey which they weren't crazy for. The fourth nanitic will hatch from her cocoon very soon, and there are already more larvae getting ready to pupate (with several other larvae that vary in size) and the queen has been laying eggs frequently.

Does anyone have suggestions on what foods you think they would enjoy? They already seem to be kinda picky, and this is my first time keeping Camponotus. 

J3YSCTz.jpg

tWIOJVc.jpg

ItxBCTs.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 13 2018 - 8:56 AM.

• Nathant2131 and Mettcollsuss like this

#31 Offline Kai - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:03 PM

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Fruit flies, spider legs and sugar water.

#32 Offline Cindy - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:21 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Beautiful pictures. Keep up the good work!

• Aaron567 likes this

#33 Offline Superant33 - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:31 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Sweet organic fruit juice, with a small amount of added sugar. Sunburst from byformica. Fruit flies, crickets, and termites for protein.

#34 Offline nurbs - Posted April 6 2017 - 8:25 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Great shots! Best of luck with them, looks like they are doing really well. The real test will come with winter and their first diapause.

Try soft bodied insects (wingless fruit flies are great, put them in the fridge for 15 min and then let them thaw), grubs, diluted honey/hummingbird nectar/sunburst, and soft MOIST white meat chicken diced into very thin and small pieces. They will not take anything large or dry. This is from my own experience with Camponotus species here in CA, but I do not see any reason why it cannot apply to yours. 

• SoySauce and Rstheant like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#35 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 22 2017 - 6:09 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

April 22, 2017

It has been over two weeks since the last update when they had three workers. Now, they have all four nanitics and are about to get the first second-generation workers. Their brood pile has grown quite a bit. They have seven pupae, and several larvae, many of which are small and you can't see in the picture.

Last week, I found a Camponotus snellingi colony which I stole a single larva from and gave to this colony. They accepted it, and it is now a pupa. So when it hatches, it will likely not participate much with the rest of the workers, and will probably do nothing. It will still look cool to have a larger, differently colored worker with this colony.

I have also found which foods they enjoy. They will not drink regular honey, and they will not eat mealworms or anything large. As a sugary source, I feed them mixed sugar, water, and honey, and they love it and will completely fill their gasters up within an hour. I have found that for their protein source, they enjoy dead fruit flies and small moths.

Today I just made them a new setup where they are in the same nest, but the nest in inside an outworld that I made with beach sand, a twig, and a rock. So now they can get to their outworld easily without having to go through a tiny tube that the workers barely fit through.

Overall, everything is going great, and I can't wait for this colony to get to even 20 workers. The egg to worker time for them is one month.

Edited by Aaron567, July 7 2017 - 12:02 PM.

• dermy and Cindy like this

#36 Offline AntswerMe - Posted April 22 2017 - 7:19 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Great pictures Aaron! They look great. Camponotus floridanus are extremely common here in northeastern Florida, I find them everywhere from the beaches, to Jacksonville, to even rural areas. My first nanitics that enclosed of this species never had their exoskeleton harden to this orange color however. They became sort of dark with an orange tinge. Only later ants that emerged had the Queen's orange look. These ants are such a beauty. Good luck!

Edited by AntswerMe, April 22 2017 - 7:22 PM.

#37 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 22 2017 - 9:38 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Not sure where your from, but you don't really just 'decide' to keep ants all the time. I wish I could 'decide' to keep honeypot ants, but they aren't in my area. Being negative doesn't really help the hobby grow.

How was this helpful? Anyways good luck with your Queen! I'm excited to see her first workers! :)

I was joking.  :lol:

• Nathant2131 likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#38 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 23 2017 - 6:04 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Wow! Hope they get really big!

YJK

#39 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 23 2017 - 7:14 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Great pictures Aaron! They look great. Camponotus floridanus are extremely common here in northeastern Florida, I find them everywhere from the beaches, to Jacksonville, to even rural areas. My first nanitics that enclosed of this species never had their exoskeleton harden to this orange color however. They became sort of dark with an orange tinge. Only later ants that emerged had the Queen's orange look. These ants are such a beauty. Good luck!

Are the queens common for you to find? The colonies here are pretty common but this queen is the only live queen I've ever found.

#40 Offline Goldsystem - Posted April 24 2017 - 7:18 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

I was joking. :lol:

Oh sorry I couldn't tell :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users