• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cap_Backfire's Trachymyrmex Journal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 9 2021 - 7:23 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

OK to start off, I inherited this colony from a friend who was moving and couldn't take ALL of his colonies with him.   I got them with about 250 workers and 3 queens (at least, it's so hard to tell with these little gals!) So when I originally got them they had one good cluster of fungus which the queens hid in, basically constantly.  They were in a plastic tub with plaster bottom and had a small outworld filled with sand from their original harvesting site (where the queen was found).   I didn't care for that setup, myself, so I simply made a bigger plaster based tub and placed their tub inside of it, with the lid off of the smaller container.  They quickly expanded to four more fungus clusters on the edges of their smaller container.  Basically the larger one was their inner outworld, if that makes sense.   I also added three stick insects (locally sourced) to this setup for variety and knnowing they wouldn't bother themselves-these are such gentle ants!   The stick insects died from feeding gingko leaves.   The ants didn't seem affected by these leaves and I never even saw any on these leaves so they must have known they were toxic (I didn't know this until I was searching for reasons the stick insects would be dying).   
Their numbers are now over 300 (roughly) and I added the sand they came with to the edges of the large "outworld."   It was about 2-3 inches high along the sides and tapered towards the middle.   They QUICKLY moved into this sand and set up four large chambers for their fungus.   Recently they took ALL the fungus out of their original nest and I came up with another idea for them-fill the original tub with sand.  Just fill it.   So I did that and covered the top in multiple colored sands so I could see more visually their entrances to any new chambers they made... Little did I suspect how industrious they would be.   I also added a small, terracotta pot which was filled with the substrate I mix for my isopods and millipedes, some springtails and a jumping spider slilng to prey on the springtails ( which is really fun to watch).   Well... They made some impressive tunnel entrances in the new tub and... removed about half of the dirt from the flowerpot (Oh, filled the pot with live clover as well) and moved ALL the fungus into the pot.  Since the entire top of the soil was removed I can actually see this fungus really well and monitor growth.   
I've had them something like 2 months and they are easily my favorites to watch now, and their setup is right on my desk where I can easily view it, which I do for hours.   I'll post pics tonight so some of this makes more sense.   
They also have a dozen or so nice sticks in their enclosure where I hang flowers and other plants for them to nom on.   So far so good, it seems.   

• CheetoLord02, Kaelwizard, TestSubjectOne and 2 others like this

#2 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 10 2021 - 6:14 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

So they obviously felt my disappointment at them moving into the flower pot, so they left their new "fungus pit" open aired so I can monitor it and still watch that fascinating behavior.   Now they're out harvesting like crazy and no more real digging going on.   

They have a jumping spider neighbor who lives with them and appears afraid of them, so he stays either up on the wall or under some of the bark I have suspended.   even though he's about the same size as the Trachy's, I can almost ALWAYS spot him immediately and he shows very little fear of me.   He stalks springtails and the fruit flies I add to the enclosure like a miniature jaguar.   LOVE these little guys.  

#3 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 10 2021 - 7:37 PM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
We would love some pictures if you can!
We would love some pictures if you can!
  • cap_backfire likes this

#4 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:54 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

So this is my Trachy girls.   The first three pics are of their NEW and improved (according to them) farm site.  It is inside the flowerpot I intended to use as a live clover garden for them.   Well... Most of the clover is uprooted now and what remains of the roots kind of supports this whole um... pit, that they've put their fungus in.   I'm trying to add enough moisture to keep the clover alive until the roots can adapt, but not oversaturate the fungus, since these girls have "moved" 3 times now.   The LAST pic is of one of the chambers they built during their second move.   That chamber, and the other 2 visible ones, are now empty.   And not even visited anymore that I have seen.   So they are SASSY girls.   You can see where they are preparing a dandelion head that was originally on the top of the soil in the flowerpot but they unearthed the um... earth under it and are processing it.   That was 2 days ago.   It has ceased to exist except for a few petals that are on the "ground" now.  This is basically their penthouse.  I'm not sure if they have a nest in the sand chamber, which has a MASSIVE (for them) tunnel through it.  I can stick my pinky in there and I have BIG hands.   They still explore and forage all over the place and sometimes encounter their jumping spider roommate/ landlord which is very comical because they both run off, terrified.   

This is EASILY my favorite colony of the 5 I have.   

Attached Images

• Trachy 1.jpg
  • Trachy 2.jpg
  • Tracky 4.jpg
  • Trachy 3.jpg

Edited by cap_backfire, July 11 2021 - 8:28 PM.

• UtahAnts likes this

#5 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:56 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

deleted post where pics didn't show. 

Edited by cap_backfire, July 11 2021 - 8:28 PM.

• eea likes this

#6 Offline eea - Posted July 11 2021 - 8:09 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

when i click on the picture it just shows an error

• Swirlysnowflake and cap_backfire like this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#7 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 11 2021 - 8:29 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

when i click on the picture it just shows an error

I fixed it!   Enjoy!  

• eea likes this

#8 Offline eea - Posted July 11 2021 - 9:48 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

looks like popcorn

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#9 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 12 2021 - 5:21 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN
It does look like popcorn!!!
  • eea likes this

#10 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 12 2021 - 2:03 PM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
Awesome colony!

#11 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 12 2021 - 2:03 PM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
Awesome colony!

#12 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:00 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

So someone recommended to get petri dishes with fungus growing medium in it to help boost fungus production for the Trachys and kind of jump start their growth.   I found petri dishes specifically for this purpose on Amazon, already preset with the fungus growing medium so plan to get that sometime this week.   Basically you take a small piece of their existing fungus and add it to the petri dish, wait for significant growth, then give it back to the ants for harvesting!   Such a cool idea and I'm eager to get started.  

#13 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 16 2021 - 5:28 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Wanted to give these gals a little more of a boost so I got some petri dishes with potato agar to cultivate fungus.   And added a miniscule amount of their fungus to the dish.   I have 9 more dishes and they are... large.   So hopefully this works out!   Fingers crossed.   

#14 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 16 2021 - 5:34 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Wanted to give these gals a little more of a boost so I got some petri dishes with potato agar to cultivate fungus.   And added a miniscule amount of their fungus to the dish.   I have 9 more dishes and they are... large.   So hopefully this works out!   Fingers crossed.   

It won't really grow fast, the ants will most likely grow their fungus faster and would get little boost from the cultured fungus.

#15 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 16 2021 - 5:52 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I mean, I'm still feeding them.  It's a fun experiment.   They're doing OK I just want to help out more than giving oats and whatnot. 

#16 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 20 2021 - 12:07 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Side note... 

These girls have burrowed down through their 'flower pot' via the drainage hole in the bottom and cored out much of the bin it rests on top of.   I decided to reinforce it in case they burrow out too much so it doesn't collapse in on them.   This colony is definitely keeping me on my toes.   

• eea likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users