• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Prenolepis imparis Thread

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#161 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 25 2018 - 8:57 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I sold some to a guy and his layed some eggs. He said he keeps them at 65 fahrenheit. I'm trying that now.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#162 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 31 2018 - 7:44 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Have the flights for Illinois happened yet? I've been traveling recently and was wondering if I missed it.

#163 Offline Wilbo62 - Posted March 31 2018 - 9:26 AM

Wilbo62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationChicago Illinois

Have the flights for Illinois happened yet? I've been traveling recently and was wondering if I missed it.

I highly doubt they've flown yet. I've been going out and walking the woods near me about every other day this march, and I haven't seen anything. Plus the temperature has only ever gotten up into the low sixties and they tend to fly when it reaches seventies.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#164 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 31 2018 - 9:34 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have seen them out recently. Mostly just workers foraging, and still slightly lethargic. I have a colony in my backyard and there's another a couple blocks away at my school.  They're out and about today (still slightly lethargic). I placed out a sugar-water feeder this morning and they are swarming it like their lives depend on it.

#165 Offline Wilbo62 - Posted March 31 2018 - 9:45 AM

Wilbo62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I have seen them out recently. Mostly just workers foraging, and still slightly lethargic. I have a colony in my backyard and there's another a couple blocks away at my school.  They're out and about today (still slightly lethargic). I placed out a sugar-water feeder this morning and they are swarming it like their lives depend on it.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I haven't seen any Queens out. But yes, I too have seen my local colonies of prenolepis being active.

#166 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 10 2018 - 3:21 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
I haven't been able to get outside much recently, and I'm worried that I may have missed the flight for Illinois, so I'm just going to double check. Has P. imparis flown in Illinois yet?

#167 Offline Wilbo62 - Posted April 10 2018 - 5:16 AM

Wilbo62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I haven't been able to get outside much recently, and I'm worried that I may have missed the flight for Illinois, so I'm just going to double check. Has P. imparis flown in Illinois yet?

As I've said before I can say with some certainty that, no they have not flown. its been pretty cold all winter with the hottest day being in the low sixties and they don't fly until it reaches 70 - 75 degrees. Now just as a heads up, I've been looking at the weather and Thursday and Friday are going to be in the seventies so those would be great days to go out and look! If you see them flying make sure to let me know, I can't get out myself until late Friday afternoon.  :(

Edited by Wilbo62, April 10 2018 - 5:17 AM.

#168 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 10 2018 - 5:32 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Thursday look like the day for me too and it's my day off this week. I'm excited. Stupid question though. Is it possible to merge a new queen into an existing colony? If I remember correctly they Prenolepis are polygenous(sp?), but is that just new queens will form colonies together or can a new one join?

#169 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 10 2018 - 5:13 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Is it possible to merge a new queen into an existing colony? If I remember correctly they Prenolepis are polygenous(sp?), but is that just new queens will form colonies together or can a new one join?

I'm hoping to catch a lot of queens on the upcoming flight. I might try this out with a few of them. I'll post the results here if I end up doing it.

#170 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 10 2018 - 6:57 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Looks like there will be flights in the Philly/NJ area later this week and this weekend.

#171 Offline CNewton - Posted April 11 2018 - 3:48 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Here in Western NY, we haven't seen a 60F+ day since February. The foreseeable future still stays in the lower 40s. I'm starting to feel like I might be catching Camponotus on the same day as Prenolepis! Last year we had a mild summer, I'm hoping it won't be a repeat this year.

• noebl1 likes this

#172 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 11 2018 - 3:57 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Here in Western NY, we haven't seen a 60F+ day since February. The foreseeable future still stays in the lower 40s. I'm starting to feel like I might be catching Camponotus on the same day as Prenolepis! Last year we had a mild summer, I'm hoping it won't be a repeat this year.

haha was starting to think the same here to.  We were supposed to hit the mid-70s on Sat, but looks like it may be cooler and rainy now.  Last year ago this week is when it we hit the 70/80s and they flew.

Edited by noebl1, April 11 2018 - 3:59 AM.

#173 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 11 2018 - 6:54 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Newbie here looking to catch some Prenolepis (I know they are not ideal for someone new). Since there aren't many Ontario members I will be counting on you NY peeps to keep me updated!

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#174 Offline Zen - Posted April 11 2018 - 7:32 AM

Zen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I would like to ask, my P. Imparis queen took about 2-3 weeks to lay her first eggs is she okay, and is this normal. 

• noebl1 likes this

#175 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 11 2018 - 7:48 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I would like to ask, my P. Imparis queen took about 2-3 weeks to lay her first eggs is she okay, and is this normal. 

Consider yourself lucky, took some of mine 4-6 weeks last year to lay.

#176 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 11 2018 - 11:31 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

If I catch a queen I just hope it lays faster than my Crematogasters that I caught in September. Caught September 15th put into hibernation November 1st. Brought out February 15th and finally laid eggs about March-ish. Just got my first workers for one queen. What's that? Like 6-7 months for eggs?

#177 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 11 2018 - 3:16 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Consider yourself lucky, took some of mine 4-6 weeks last year to lay.
I'm on the same boat haha. Mine all of a sudden decided to lay eggs, not one is eggless now.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#178 Offline Penguin - Posted April 11 2018 - 5:42 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Newbie here looking to catch some Prenolepis (I know they are not ideal for someone new). Since there aren't many Ontario members I will be counting on you NY peeps to keep me updated!

There are quite a few but since Ontario is such a big province the temps vary and it hasn't been very good for nuptials, I hope to catch some P. imparis when it eventually stops snowing* here and warms up later this April.

*Snow does not collect, it just melts on contact

• ColKurtz and rbarreto like this

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#179 Offline antnest8 - Posted April 12 2018 - 2:30 AM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

same here we have gotten snow every day on Monday it stuck and i had to wake up to two inches of snow :mad2:  :cold:

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#180 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 12 2018 - 4:31 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

There are quite a few but since Ontario is such a big province the temps vary and it hasn't been very good for nuptials, I hope to catch some P. imparis when it eventually stops snowing* here and warms up later this April.

*Snow does not collect, it just melts on contact

Unfortunately the weather network appears to be predicting over 20 cm (7.9 inches) of snow this weekend.  :facepalm:

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users