• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

The Prenolepis imparis Thread

145 replies to this topic

#141 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:04 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

I just read the article that was put into circulation earlier on in this thread.

http://www.bio.fsu.e...ions/1987-3.pdf

I found something really interesting: “Temperature almost certainly plays a role in the length of the estivation period 1 to 2 months in ohio, 7 to 8 months Florida.” This means that depending on the climate where you live, your ants will be active for more of the year or for less.

For the bay, I think it is late September to march, when the colonies around me stop foraging, I'll know for sure. Another way people tell is that when they are preparing for estavation(? Idk how to spell), the foragers and all workers are almost always at least semi-repletes.
The article talks all about them. Apparently they’re not actually repletes, since they store fat as opposed to ordinary repletes who don’t.

Keeper of:

x1 Camponotus hyatti colony

Founding:

x9 Lasius alienus

x2 Prenolepis imparis 

#142 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 12 2018 - 8:38 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yeah, but you can still color them via food coloring in food, they look all the same except smaller than Myrmecocystus.

Edited by YsTheAnt, February 12 2018 - 8:38 PM.

#143 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted Yesterday, 5:12 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

So it's been exactly a year more or less since I started this thread, and it appears that there's going to be a recreation of last year's events. Next Tuesday and Wednesday here in Philly we're expecting 70's and I'm optimistic that there will be a Prenolepis flight. Fingers crossed.

#144 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted Yesterday, 7:10 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

So it's been exactly a year more or less since I started this thread, and it appears that there's going to be a recreation of last year's events. Next Tuesday and Wednesday here in Philly we're expecting 70's and I'm optimistic that there will be a Prenolepis flight. Fingers crossed.

That's sick dude. Good luck! Btw, what happened to all the queens you caught last year?

Edited by Jadeninja9, Yesterday, 7:14 PM.

Keeper of:

Founding:

x9 Lasius alienus

x2 Prenolepis imparis 

#145 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted Yesterday, 7:46 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

That's sick dude. Good luck! Btw, what happened to all the queens you caught last year?

Sold them all.

#146 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted Yesterday, 7:56 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Sold them all.

Oh wow. Are you going to keep any colonies this year?

Keeper of:

Founding:

x9 Lasius alienus

x2 Prenolepis imparis 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users