• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Prenolepis imparis Thread

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#221 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted May 10 2019 - 5:22 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Exactly how fast do colonies of this species grow? Is there a relative increase in polygynous colonies? I have a queen with her first pupae and two others with larvae, so I want to make sure I'm prepared.

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#222 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:10 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
They grow relatively slow. Your looking at maybe 5-20 workers per queen in the first year.

Edited by YsTheAnt, May 10 2019 - 7:11 PM.

• DJoseph98 likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#223 Offline Unfrozen - Posted August 16 2019 - 7:21 AM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

should i put them into hibernation now? they have no more brood and havnt for like 2 weeks

#224 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 16 2019 - 9:39 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

should i put them into hibernation now? they have no more brood and havnt for like 2 weeks

They typically only lay once a season, so no brood at this point is not unusual.  You're up North like me, you can probably hold off diapause until Nov, and they pull then out in early Feb.  If you have them in a tub/tubes setup with a bit of substrate, you'll be able to tell when ready.  Usually many of the workers will be fat with reserves, and fairly motionless.  If you have a small opening (like with a straw or cap with a small hole on the test tube), they will often block it with substrate when ready.

• DRpepper likes this

#225 Offline Unfrozen - Posted August 20 2019 - 9:48 AM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

They typically only lay once a season, so no brood at this point is not unusual.  You're up North like me, you can probably hold off diapause until Nov, and they pull then out in early Feb.  If you have them in a tub/tubes setup with a bit of substrate, you'll be able to tell when ready.  Usually many of the workers will be fat with reserves, and fairly motionless.  If you have a small opening (like with a straw or cap with a small hole on the test tube), they will often block it with substrate when ready.

my colony is two queens i had a queen and i bought a colony of two but one of them died next year as a experiment i want to catch and buy as many queens and introduce them i just hope it doesn't go wrong

their test tube flooded so a few workers died and larvae died they have around 15 workers but they would be around 25 if none of the queens died and no workers and brood

#226 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 1 2022 - 8:36 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Can somone bring this thread back? 

I just found this thread today. I've been reading it and seeing as how its about preno seaon again I would like to see this thread come back. due to lack of intellegence or unluck on my part I've missed preno flights the past three years but this year I'm finally going to get them. 

Edited by DRpepper, March 1 2022 - 9:50 AM.

• m99 likes this

#227 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted March 1 2022 - 4:39 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Funny you say this, as Prenolepsis are flying right now.

• Antkeeper01 and DRpepper like this

#228 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 1 2022 - 4:49 PM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

not where I am dude. I still have to wait a couple weeks they havent come to the surface yet but they will this week the ground is unthawing and its been getting warmer it was 64 today 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#229 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 5 2022 - 12:39 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

not where I am dude. I still have to wait a couple weeks they havent come to the surface yet but they will this week the ground is unthawing and its been getting warmer it was 64 today
When I lived in Michigan they always flew in the high sixties. Last year I found some everyday that it was 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#230 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 7 2022 - 8:01 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

When I lived in Michigan they always flew in the high sixties. Last year I found some everyday that it was 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

It reached 71 and their wasnt even activity above the surface. the next warm front that runs through will probably be the one that triggers flights. the forcast for the next few days is 50s thu the high of 60 for the next 10 days they will prob fly late late march earliest. 

#231 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 7 2022 - 8:01 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

A few days ago if I'm not mistaken it was 68 in Grand Rapids. I'm not so sure about the rest of MI though.

• DRpepper likes this

#232 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 7 2022 - 8:11 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationOregon

Waiting for these to fly here in Oregon. Likely won't get the right temps for another few weeks however. 

• DRpepper likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#233 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 7 2022 - 8:28 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I am waiting for Prenolepis imparis flights where I live as well although it is just getting above freezing so they won't fly until April as that is when temperature starts to get warm enough for them to fly.

• TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00 and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#234 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 15 2022 - 11:31 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I am in illinois and today its up to 65 degrees and i was thinking there might be a minor flight. (but doubtful because it was really really cold the day before). its also going to be 70 tmm and 71 f after that. so is it worth going out today i know its possible for them to fly today but would they really have their main flight today?

#235 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted March 15 2022 - 5:00 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

What I have noticed is that only will fly above 70 degrees. 

• DRpepper likes this

#236 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 15 2022 - 6:50 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Usually 68 is the bare minimum temperature they'll fly in.

• DRpepper likes this

#237 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 16 2022 - 5:28 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Its 70f in my area today and tmm its 72 so I'm thinking they will fly but if they don't ill have to wait another week or so for warmer weather. Ill report if i get any queens. 

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#238 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 22 2022 - 5:22 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationOregon

Flights in Oregon today. Caught 14 queens.

• DRpepper likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#239 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 12 2022 - 7:33 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Flights in Grand Rapids today! Unfortunately, I was late to the party of beautiful red variant Prenolepis and only got 1 queen. More should be flying tomorrow though.

#240 Offline bmb1bee - Posted April 12 2022 - 7:45 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Flights in Grand Rapids today! Unfortunately, I was late to the party of beautiful red variant Prenolepis and only got 1 queen. More should be flying tomorrow though.

Can you post a pic of the red variant of Prenos? Here in the Bay Area I've only seen medium brown to nearly black varieties, I'm curious about the mentioned reddish ones.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users