• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus yuma Journal [197] (Discontinued 12-14-2021)

dspdrew journal myrmecocystus yuma

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 24 2015 - 8:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well most of what I had left were just duds, so no surprise.

#42 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted May 24 2015 - 11:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
They are really hard...

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2015 - 1:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-27-2015

I just found a few more of these queens in Landers, California 7-21-2015. I'll probably be putting a couple of them in my dirt boxes. I'm going to be making some for smaller sized ants, so I'll probably use some of those for these.

#44 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 1 2015 - 5:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-1-2015

Two of the four queens I have left just got their first workers a few days ago. Unfortunately, one of these lost their queen, so I introduced them to one of the queens that hasn't produced much, and they accepted her immediately. There was no aggression at all, and instead, the workers just started cleaning her. I now have one colony in a dirt box, and two in test tubes.

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 9 2015 - 11:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-10-2015

One of the test tube queens died. The other one that was introduced to the workers that lost their queen is still getting along great with them. The queen even laid a new pile of eggs shorty after. As an experiment, this colony also was given a Myrmecocystus cf. mendax pupa, but it looks like it might have been trashed.

#46 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2016 - 10:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-6-2015

I still have both colonies. They are both in "dirt boxes" now, and doing okay. The one that was introduced to the queen that wasn't doing much has ten workers and a small pile of brood, so she's producing something at least. The other has ten workers too, but a larger pile of brood. The coolest thing is that the latter colony actually has a replete now. It's about the size of a bb.

med_gallery_2_243_12342.jpg

med_gallery_2_243_451136.jpg

med_gallery_2_243_233908.jpg

#47 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 8 2016 - 10:14 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Where did you get my Myrmecocystus yuma?

:>

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 8 2016 - 6:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Where did you get my Myremecocystus yuma?

Needles, California.

#49 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 8 2016 - 9:39 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Where did you get my myrmecocystus yuma?

Needles, California.

Do you have any recommendations on what areas I should find any honeypot colony in?

:>

#50 Offline T.C. - Posted November 22 2016 - 9:09 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Update?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#51 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 28 2018 - 4:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-28-2018

This colony is continuing to grow.  I've been trying to get them to move into a new Dirt Box setup for over a month now. They simply won't move until their nest completely dries out, but even then sometimes they still won't move and end up dying instead. I keep adding water because I'm afraid they're going to die when it starts getting too dry and they aren't budging. I'm now going to try a different approach. Since these are connected at the out world surface level, I'm going to see if I can flood them out slowly.

I also decided to move them into a new large Dirt Box instead of a small. If I'm going to go through all this trouble, I might as well make sure it's going to last a long time.

#52 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 30 2018 - 5:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 1-30-2018

Well, I accidentally flooded their nest a bit too quickly, and thought I killed a bunch of them at first, but I quickly dumped it all out and the workers that looked like they drowned are all up and running around again. I accidentally popped the largest replete in the process, but I got all the rest moved without hurting them. I was able to get an accurate count on the colony now and it looks like there are about 65 workers.

Here they are all dumped into the out world of their new Dirt Box.

med_gallery_2_243_363689.jpg

Within just a few minutes they were already starting to dig a new nest.

med_gallery_2_243_912.jpg

They had quite a bit done by the time I got home from work, but most of the colony including the queen and the brood were still sitting on the surface.

This is where they were at when I woke up this morning.

med_gallery_2_243_313929.jpg

The queen is moved in, and the brood is all being moved into one spot inside their new nest.

med_gallery_2_243_562016.jpg
  • sgheaton, rdurham02 and piratechef like this

#53 Offline sgheaton - Posted January 30 2018 - 5:54 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Thanks for the update!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#54 Offline Superant33 - Posted January 30 2018 - 5:43 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Nice. I have found it to be equally difficult to move my honey pots. However, I just play the waiting game and let them move on there own. At least I do now. Maybe I accidentally executed a few colonies in the past trying to get them to move. Maybe.

#55 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 10 2018 - 7:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 6-10-2018

I just noticed this colony has a few cocoons about three times the size of all the rest. I'm not sure they are big enough to be alates, so I'm thinking maybe they are going to be majors. I remember being in the Whitewater Preserve and seeing some workers from the same nest that were significantly larger with much larger rounder gasters, and not from being stretched.

Not the greatest picture, but you can clearly see the size difference. I'll be waiting to see what comes out.

gallery_2_243_972015.jpg
  • AnthonyP163 and rdurham02 like this

#56 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted June 12 2018 - 11:50 AM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

You waited 2 years before updating, and the colony is only 65 workers? Do all honeypot species grow this slowly? 

#57 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 13 2018 - 1:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You waited 2 years before updating, and the colony is only 65 workers? Do all honeypot species grow this slowly?

Most of the ones I have in captivity do.

#58 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 5 2018 - 4:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 12-5-2018

This colony is still doing well. They have around 75 workers and five repletes now.

gallery_2_243_1211418.jpg

gallery_2_243_332479.jpg

I never found out for sure what the extra large cocoons were. I see another one though, so maybe I will find out this time.

gallery_2_243_306042.jpg

When I have colonies die, I like to split up their brood and give it to other colonies. Sometimes I give a few to colonies of different species to see if any of them will survive, making a multi-species colony. It has been very hard to successfully do this with Myrmecocystus, but lately I have gotten a few to accept brood of different species. I'm thinking those large cocoons might possibly be a larger species of donated brood, and it's possible they just never made it after eclosing. As you can see, it looks like these guys have accepted some brood from the orange and black species I have not yet ID'd. They now have two workers of that species, and one of them has even turned into a replete.

gallery_2_243_468969.jpg

gallery_2_243_796292.jpg

#59 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted April 1 2019 - 10:55 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update?

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#60 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 1 2021 - 6:03 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

update?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, myrmecocystus yuma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users