• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Thoughts on breeding ants - is it really impossible?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 3 2017 - 7:51 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
As in the Youtube video, I suspect that it might be pretty simple to capture wild alates during a nuptial flight, put them in a petri dish, and then have them copulate in the dish. I suspect that even those species that mate in the air might even be receptive to this method. What I think will be more difficult is getting captively bred ants to copulate in this way. Like I once mentioned before, I suspect that the queens need to be primed first by environmental cues in order to release the pheromones that compel the males to mate with them. Without those cues, the male won't know the queen from a stone.

The best thing I can think of to try is to watch for a nuptial flight of a species I'm trying to breed, and then do my best to expose my own captive ants to those natural forces perhaps by putting the whole colony outside in the shade somewhere. Or perhaps, extract my alates from the colony, and then expose those alates to the outside world. Still, I have low expectations that this will work.

Does anyone else reading this thread have colonies that produce queens (drones are easy)?
~Dan

#82 Offline Nincadaguy - Posted March 3 2017 - 8:24 PM

Nincadaguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

If I remember correctly, during the end of one of antscanada's videos were he simulated a flood, the colony's alates looked like there were going to fly out

#83 Offline Kevin - Posted March 4 2017 - 6:56 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

From what I've read before, I think the queens you hand mate will run out of sperm much quicker and the colony's life will drastically shortened.

• ctantkeeper likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#84 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 4 2017 - 3:35 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

From what I've read before, I think the queens you hand mate will run out of sperm much quicker and the colony's life will drastically shortened.

If you can find the article, please share it.
~Dan

#85 Offline anttics - Posted December 18 2017 - 9:28 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Well I'm not an expert, but captivity breeding seems doable. just get a group of antters with the Same species. put all colonies in the same room. recreate humidity and temp to start their flihht and whoala.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users