• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Attention North American ant keepers!

wisconsin ants

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 15 2017 - 6:46 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
This weekend, it's supposed to be high fifties and low 60s, very good weather for prenolepis imparis ants! Me and a friend plan to search all weekend, I will probably start a journal if I find any ants. Anyway, get ready for the weekend! If it isn't like this by you, I'm sorry, but it's gonna be warm in Wisconsin.

Edited by AnthonyP163, February 15 2017 - 6:49 AM.

• ctantkeeper, Shareallicu and mouavang87 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 15 2017 - 8:22 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

How many freaking posts are there aboutPrenolepis imparis?! Can't we have like just one good thread?

YJK

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted February 15 2017 - 8:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Hmmm... I am in wisconsin,and there is still snow on the ground.Is it really possible for there to be a nuptial flight that early? I haven't even seen any ants outdoors yet because there ant homes are still covered in snow? And, since when is their honey pot ants in wisconsin?
  • AntsTexas and Alabama Anter like this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 15 2017 - 8:52 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Hmmm... I am in wisconsin,and there is still snow on the ground.Is it really possible for there to be a nuptial flight that early? I haven't even seen any ants outdoors yet because there ant homes are still covered in snow? And, since when is their honey pot ants in wisconsin?

Yeah. I think he means the False Hineypot Ant.

YJK

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted February 15 2017 - 8:55 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I know nothing of this particular ant species. So I am unsure as to whether or not they are in my location?

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 15 2017 - 8:57 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I'm almost sure you have them.

YJK

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted February 15 2017 - 12:15 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Prenolepis imparis, the winter ant or false honeypot ant, is found throughout the United States and Mexico.

The distribution of P. imparis drops off right around the U.S. - Canadian border (excluding southern Ontario.) Despite their namesake and the fact that they prefer to forage in cold temperatures, they are not a particularly winter-friendly species, and will not be found in places with particularly cold winters -- Prenolepis is a largely tropical genus. They are one of the first native ants to fly in North America, usually during the first days which approach 70 degrees Fahrenheit, which can occur as early as February, depending on where you live. In Maine, I don't expect to see them fly until March or early April.

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline XZero38 - Posted February 15 2017 - 1:13 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

i want to know where drew got the info he did. I would like to look that info up for Colorado.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted February 15 2017 - 1:46 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

i want to know where drew got the info he did. I would like to look that info up for Colorado.

Drew and I have each been compiling our own databases to track the collection of reproductive ants. The data is mostly sourced from the various online forums and identification communities, so while not perfectly sound, statistically, these databases ought to produce a much broader and more detailed glimpse into the mating behaviors of North American ants. Neither of these are complete yet.

For the purposes of Prenolepis imparis, just pay attention to your weather, and don't let those first sufficiently warm days go to waste.

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted February 15 2017 - 3:27 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Well, I think we might be getting an early spring. I seen some swans migrating back today. That's a good sign, Also nearly sixty here later this week for Temps which is well above average.
  • Kevin likes this

#11 Offline Californian Anter - Posted February 15 2017 - 3:36 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I just caught a queen today  :)

• Shareallicu likes this

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 15 2017 - 7:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The majority of my data comes from http://bugguide.net. I spent hundreds of hours scouring that website and many others. Like Batspiderfish said, it's not all completely accurate, but I think the vast majority of it is pretty good and provides a pretty good picture.

#13 Offline yen_saw - Posted February 16 2017 - 10:11 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

The majority of my data comes from http://bugguide.net. I spent hundreds of hours scouring that website and many others. Like Batspiderfish said, it's not all completely accurate, but I think the vast majority of it is pretty good and provides a pretty good picture.

Thank you very much for your contribution.

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted February 16 2017 - 10:16 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Bug guide is one of my few go to sources. They are amazing.
  • Martialis likes this

#15 Offline Llantris - Posted February 19 2017 - 3:08 PM

Llantris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCollinsville, Illinois
I caught a queen today around 3pm in Collinsville IL

#16 Offline Californian Anter - Posted February 19 2017 - 3:09 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I caught a queen today around 3pm in Collinsville IL

Nice prof pic. That's Armor of the 5th Age Taric isn't it?

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#17 Offline mouavang87 - Posted February 19 2017 - 5:01 PM

mouavang87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I caught a queen today around 3pm in Collinsviltake 

post some picture

• T.C. likes this

#18 Offline Llantris - Posted February 20 2017 - 1:02 PM

Llantris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCollinsville, Illinois
Not sure how to do that, don't see a way to attach pics to my post from my phone. Lots of male alates about right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wisconsin, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users