• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small Photography for Cheap

photography cheap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PanFormicaryProject - Posted February 14 2017 - 10:09 PM

PanFormicaryProject

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada.

If you've ever wanted to take decent photos of your ants (or anything) really close up but don't want to buy an expensive camera or something, you should consider this cheap modification that works with any cellphone camera.

So for this all you need is some clear tape and a cheap laser pointer (I got mine for 2$) First, unscrew the tip of the laser pointer and take out the tiny little lens inside that's used to focus the light from the diode. Next, using the clear tape, secure the lens directly on-top of your phone camera. I don't think the lens has to be flipped one way or the other, but just make sure you don't press down on the tape covering the middle of the lens or it'll make an imprint and make your photos foggy.    

At this point, the camera should be ready to use. Keep in mind the only issues with this design are that you need a decent amount of light, and the focal length is about a centimeter away from the lens, making it most suited for photographing stationary objects or peering into a nest through a glass pane. Maybe this could be changed but I haven't toyed much with it much.

Not sure if this is going to work, but here's an image of a dead assassin bug from my window I took using this method. My phone camera is pretty abysmal so I'm sure your photos will most likely be of higher quality than this.

http://imgur.com/a/pkBee

Considering how cheap this is, I doubt you could go wrong. In fact, if you try this let me know how it goes, and any improvements we could make to the design.

Happy Anting :)

• ctantkeeper and Alabama Anter like this

#2 Offline BMM - Posted February 15 2017 - 4:57 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I tried something similar, except with a hairpin to hold it in place. I didn't have any luck getting pictures like that, but I may give it another go and see if I was doing something wrong.

#3 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 15 2017 - 1:22 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Neat idea, I love seeing suggestions like this or like Drew's bug zapper project. I'll definitely give this a shot it's very doable.

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted February 15 2017 - 2:17 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

To everyone looking for a cheap macro lens, go on ebay. There are clip on macro kits for $5 shipped.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photography, cheap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users