• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants and light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline superjman - Posted February 11 2017 - 5:05 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Earlier I was talking to a couple of gents in the chat and came up with an idea. For this idea I will put a small LED in an inner chamber of a nest and turn it on every so often to record video. I don't want to disturb the nest very much when I do so. So with that said I want to ask, what kind of light (color, intensity, and so on) would disturb the ants the least? I have read that dark shades of red don't really both some species but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what kind of light would be the best for this?

superjmansbugblog.tumblr.com

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 11 2017 - 5:11 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I wonder who these "couple of gents" are.  :whistle:

• superjman likes this

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted February 11 2017 - 5:18 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

In my opinion, lighting up a formicaria with a LED is not practical. There are so many features in the formicaria, tunnels, chambers, etc that the shadows produced by the LED would be worse than viewing in the daylight for a light from the front of the formicaria. The only way of making this idea worth your time is to do something like terry did, a light screen "diffuser" or whatever terms he used, so the entire back of the formicaria would be lit up.

• superjman likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline superjman - Posted February 11 2017 - 5:33 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Well the basis of it Kevin is that it's a central chamber that has no light in it other than when I'm recording inside of it. It'll have access to the outer tunnels but other than that it won't have any windows into it and a camera on the inside. I want the inside to be as dark as it can be at all other times so as not to disturb the ants inside and when I do turn on the lights I want them to bother the ants as little as possible.

superjmansbugblog.tumblr.com

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted February 11 2017 - 7:44 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Well I am currently working on designing and building a formicarium with light up ant tunnels. The points Kevin pointed out and many more over all are making it very challenging. There is a lot of things you have to take into consideration. Not to mention the issues I keep running into. I have no idea how well my idea is going to work, but so far it's been a little rough. I should be able to get it done if I take my time. I have been planning it out and sketching my ideas for quite some time now. Anyways here is the thread where I am posting the finished product and how i am building it. I got knocked out and hurt myself last night so things are going a little slower now. ( I won't even say what I was doing. :D ) But in 2 weeks I should have it finished.

http://www.formicult...-builds-thread/

• Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users