• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

--

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 18 2016 - 12:58 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 11:16 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 5 2016 - 12:25 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
That's really cool

YJK

#3 Offline Shareallicu - Posted October 30 2016 - 4:09 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Three weeks or so back I got a bunch of Drywood termite alates, around 15. I put them in Drew's older design of a two container setup (one container dry, the other that soaks up water into the hydrostone).

Today, I ended up blocking the dry part since I noticed termites wandered into it, dried out and died. They aren't the smartest of insects. There are 5 or 6 dead ones that did this.

Also today, I got over 40 termite alates and I put them all into the same container. I didn't pair them up (since they are all together), so there could be an unbalanced ratio of female/male. Not a big deal with so many. Today they had massive flights (still going on, though its tapering off), biggest I've seen this year. I'm surprised the termites are flying so long for so many days. Every day that is hot they fly. Previous years, they completely stop at the two week mark, but its been way longer than that this year.

As for telling the difference between male/female Drywood termites. One way I can tell for Drywood termites if they are female or male, is the females tend to have a bit larger, enlarged abdomen and very slightly see-through. The males have a shorter, much darker abdomen. This is unlike Subterranean termites, which all look so much alike you can't (or I can't anyway) tell by looking at them.

Termites would be fun to keep, but my mom would hate it lol

#4 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 30 2016 - 7:41 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Make sure those termites don't escape ;)

Good luck with the termites, if dspdrew can do it, lets hope u can too

:>

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 7 2017 - 10:36 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
How are they? Also, how long is egg to worker?

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 7 2017 - 5:04 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users