• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from SW Illinois

noob prenolepis proceratium illinois

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Llantris - Posted February 7 2017 - 4:12 AM

Llantris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCollinsville, Illinois

Hey I have been watching AntsCanada YT all winter and have decided to start my own ant colonies this spring.  I really want to find some Winter Ants aka Prenolepis, so I will be keeping my eye out for those beauties Mar-Apr!  It's said they survive very well in A/C rooms and that you can start colonies with multiple queens, both seem like a great place to start for a new ant keeper. I recently found out that I should be able to find Proceratium in the wooded areas here in IL late Aug/early Sept, excited about that as they are a relatively rare species.  But I will tell you that I will be happy with any species to get started.  =D

#2 Offline BMM - Posted February 7 2017 - 4:55 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see yet another person from around St. Louis. I'm actually planning on hunting for Prenolepis imparis today. The conditions (a wet night and ~65° day) should be about right for them. 

• Llantris likes this

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 7 2017 - 5:45 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Welcome! There is a very experienced member named Nolan that lives near you.

• Llantris likes this

YJK

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted February 7 2017 - 7:06 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome to formiculture. :)

• Llantris likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline superjman - Posted February 7 2017 - 3:01 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Hello! I live nearish to St. Louis on the Missouri side so we're closeish! I was out hunting P. Imperus today but I didn't see any. I've got a blacklight setup outside though so I'm gonna try after it gets dark. Here's hoping!

superjmansbugblog.tumblr.com

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noob, prenolepis, proceratium, illinois

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users