• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

South Jersey ID

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:51 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I never got an ID on these. I caught 2 or 3 of them in the late season, probably late flyers... one ripped off wings and is dead and falling apart, one is obviously infertile, and if I did catch 3 then I dunno what happened to the third.

5mm, South Jersey. Orangish red with pointy gaster, no visible hair.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:53 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I may be wrong but they look like aphenogaster

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Wow. I've never seen anything like these. I'll go with either crematogaster or manica

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted February 3 2017 - 7:06 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Wow. I've never seen anything like these. I'll go with either crematogaster or manica

All four North American Manica species are limited to the western and central  parts of the continent. 

Edited by LC3, February 3 2017 - 7:06 PM.

#5 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted February 3 2017 - 7:06 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

If she's got two big effing devil horns for spines that would be Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, a social parasite of other A. rudis, and A. fulva in our area... I've never encountered them in NJ before.

https://www.antweb.o...e=tennesseensis

• Kevin likes this

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 7:48 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I don't remember Aphaenogaster tennessenis being 5 mm and they have two orange patches on their gaster

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted February 3 2017 - 8:24 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I don't remember Aphaenogaster tennessenis being 5 mm and they have two orange patches on their gaster

6 or 7mm long is likely more accurate. They're roughly the same size as the workers to their host species though. As for the spots on the gaster, they're not so much spots as pale marks or reflections. The ant is so shiny these sorts of bright marks will likely turn up. Workers to this species have two pale marks along the side of their gaster as well. (This might also be the result of the plates of the exoskeleton over lapping. So how swollen her gaster is might change how it looks.)

While the severed gaster does come to a point as seen in a lot of Crematogaster queens, other images show the waste segments connecting to the gaster on the lower side not the upper. This is hard to see in Crematogaster queens but it's there. (Also I don't think any Crematogaster come in the color red oddly. At least one solid color.)

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, February 3 2017 - 8:36 PM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted February 3 2017 - 8:28 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Agreed. The large propodeal spines, the size, coloration, and hairlessness. There's also no obvious way to tell if they are infertile unless they are taken directly from the nest.

Do you remember the exact day that you caught them? Not a lot of data for the nuptial flight of this social parasite.

Edited by Batspiderfish, February 3 2017 - 8:30 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline antgenius123 - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:43 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Oh snap, I also caught this species a while back but I forgot the name.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#10 Offline Kevin - Posted February 4 2017 - 6:44 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I think I caught it late august, a bit after or before I found a ton a myrmica queens, which are also proving to turn out most likely infertile.

#11 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted February 4 2017 - 11:28 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I think I caught it late august, a bit after or before I found a ton a myrmica queens, which are also proving to turn out most likely infertile.

Myrmica queens like to forage for food a bit. They may start to lay later in spring, but will need a supply of dead insects to do so.

I tried starting one years ago by giving her a supply of live termites to hunt. Each time I couldn't get enough food for her she would eat all of her brood. Finally after a year she did manage to rear one worker with no other brood. But her next clutch produced two workers after that. I believe this process took as long as it did because the queen had to sting the termites to kill them, thus using energy to supply her poison gland with venom. My theory is had I simply given her dead insects things would have started much faster.

#12 Offline Kevin - Posted February 4 2017 - 1:07 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I've had a few lay eggs and eat them too. A bit hard to found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users