• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Loops?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:18 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Hey guys. I haven’t had a chance to build my own personal nest since I started 117 Colonies. I’ve had plenty of products to test, but nothing I’ve made was personal to me.

Well, I changed that. Some of you may or may not know, but my nick name “Loops” was given to me due to my 1 ¾” stretched ear lobes. I’ve been contemplating a build I’ve wanted to do for quite some time now, and that is to hold live insects within the confine of my ear lobes. I had designed some nests in the past and they never turned out due to my mechanical limitations, which caused to me to put it off for a while so I can concentrate on 117 Colonies.

Here are the first parts for my build. The Ant Tunnels.

20170131_094735.jpg

(i turned the contrast way up so you can see the tunnels, which makes them look super dirty. Not saying they're not dirty, but they're not that dirty.)

20170131_110729.jpg

Now that I know the hydration works, I will be building the outworld/master hydration base. The Ant Tunnels won't be hydrated directly since they have no ports leading to the water reservoir, but will absorb it rather through micro holes designed into the build. Each Ant Tunnel is designed to hold a couple days’ worth of water for when I do my insect conventions, otherwise they will sit in a base that connects the nests to an outworld. The inside of the base will be a master reservoir holding upwards to 75ml of water, which will hydrate each Ant Tunnel while they sit in the base. The actual inside of the nest is hydrated via capillary action between the walls and viewing plane, as well as 2 bottom up water wicks that you can see in the side view.

The connector holes are not finished, and will have a much better cap system to prevent escapees. I am also going to put an inlay over the inside lip the the viewing pane to hide the acrylic edges. I haven’t figured out which species I’m going to move into this nest, but I do have a couple ideas out of my personal inventory, Will prolly be housing all my personal tiny species like this for now on.

Thank you.

Loops.

• Martialis, Enderz, Alabama Anter and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:27 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

HOLY **** THAT"S COOL

YJK

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:28 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Well, I guess I better go stretch my ears. what's the best way? lol This is definetly interesting, but trying to raise a colony in your ear? Your moving too much my friend, the colony would be too disturbed. :lol:  You may be the first person ever to raise a colony in your ear though.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:28 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I don't think the ants will appreciate getting shaken around permanently. Probably they gonna die due to stress.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha that's too funny. You should build an out world on a hat and connect them.

• LC3, Martialis, T.C. and 1 other like this

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:33 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

They will rarely be worn, it's more or less just a display that will be worn once a month at my insect convention. It's prolly less movement then ants being shipped. And in all honesty, who knows. Maybe i can get a species that's ok with constant movement. Some species reside in tress and braches, or in stems which are constantly being blown and shaken by the wind. They must have adapted to the movement over time or they wouldn't be there. I'm hoping to do the same.

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:36 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Haha that's too funny. You should build an out world on a hat and connect them.

Better idea.

058392ff121a4d98018240b9abca0caa.jpg

• LC3, Martialis, T.C. and 1 other like this

#8 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:58 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Wow that's so cool :lol:

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:03 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I don't even know what to say.  :lol:  That is so awesome.

#10 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:04 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

try Temnothorax. They are often brightly colored, easily found and live in relatively small colonies. They require very little moisture and food and are extremely hardy. btw, these look awesome!!! would you eve put these on the store and if so, what would they cost?

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 31 2017 - 9:05 AM.

#11 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:13 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

try Temnothorax. They are often brightly colored, easily found and live in relatively small colonies. They require very little moisture and food and are extremely hardy. btw, these look awesome!!! would you eve put these on the store and if so, what would they cost?

I would GLADLY make some of these for anyone that has ears big enough to host a colony. And i couldn't put a price on these just yet since they require the outworld base for them to work correctly, and i'm still designing that.

#12 Offline Serafine - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:15 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

c7XM6gi.jpg

• ctantkeeper, LC3, Loops117 and 2 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#13 Offline Martialis - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:21 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G4BkGJj5BXg

• dspdrew likes this
Spoiler

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think they would look better with white sponges.

#15 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 31 2017 - 9:51 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I think they would look better with white sponges.

I was thinking of going with cotton as a simple and cheap filler. Easily replaceable and white.

#16 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 31 2017 - 10:04 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I would GLADLY make some of these for anyone that has ears big enough to host a colony. And i couldn't put a price on these just yet since they require the outworld base for them to work correctly, and i'm still designing that.

oh, I was just thinking that you should sell them as a neat little founding formicarium.

#17 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 31 2017 - 12:36 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

oh, I was just thinking that you should sell them as a neat little founding formicarium.

Call it the 'Lobe Formicariums'

YJK

#18 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 31 2017 - 12:54 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c

• Martialis likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#19 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 31 2017 - 1:48 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

lol!!! love Rick and Morty :)

#20 Offline Kevin - Posted January 31 2017 - 2:44 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Interesting. Personally I can't imaging stretching my ears, but this is pretty cool.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users