• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Hopes and Dreams getting crushed- Hawaiiant

ants sad whyyyy

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 29 2017 - 6:17 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi.

I've decided to combine every single time that I've learned a sad truth about ants here, from the beginning of my ant keeping to now. I didn't want to post all of these at Leo's thread so I'm posting them here. Feel free to add some stories, but you should probably add them to Leo's thread first.

I'm posting only three for now.

Tale 1: Worker ants have wings? (Ohio) (On Leo's Thread)
Back when I didn't really know about ants, I once collected some ants during a nuptial flight. I thought the males were queens and the queens were workers. I placed them all in a gel ant farm. I was really confused when the queens killed each other and the males died. 
I remember that I was so amazed to think that ants have wings.

Tale 2: Those are fire ants. (Ohio)

Once in Ohio a friend told me that he found a nest of fire ants (they were really camponotus). From that point on, I was convinced that anything that didn't resemble a camponotus worker could not sting me.
That led to a chain of events:
*During vacation, I once poked a finger into a real fire ants. Boy, did that hurt.

*I once got attacked by argentine ants. At that time, I didn't know that ants could spray acid so I was pretty sure that those ants just had really strong bites.

*Two words: Velvet Ant. I can't believe that I thought that Velvet ants were actually ants.

Tale 3: Species record! (Hawaii)

Very recently, I went to Petco to buy some crickets. To my amazement, some strange ants moved into one of the cricket boxes! I was allowed to keep those ants for free.

When I got home, I did all sorts of research to figure out what these strange its were. I was almost 90% sure that I had found a native mainland fire ant colony. Sadly for me, I learned that they were actually Pharaoh ants. I never new that Pharaoh ants were actually the size of Pheidole.

I hope you enjoyed these!

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 29 2017 - 7:19 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Ummmm.... This seems pointless... Would anyone agree with me on moving this thread to sandbox?

YJK

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 29 2017 - 7:38 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

When I fist started searching for queens 5 years ago, I found a small rotting log with a large Monomorium viride colony inside. I then found a Campontous chromaoides queen inside the log and thought that they were of the same species (I thought the colony just had a very large queen caste like that of some Carebara species.)!!!!!!!!!!!! I vialed a ton of Monomorium workers and the queen and the queen brutally killed them left and right. I was super confused. To this day, whenever I think of it I facepalm.

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 29 2017 - 7:38 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted January 29 2017 - 7:39 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Ummmm.... This seems pointless... Would anyone agree with me on moving this thread to sandbox?

I don't do this often, but I agree with Alabama anter. On the fact it's a  sand box topic anyways.

Edited by T.C., January 29 2017 - 7:43 PM.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 29 2017 - 7:44 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I don't do this often, but I agree with Alabama anter.

i'm sorry, but can someone explain to me what the "sandbox" is?

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 29 2017 - 7:46 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I don't do this often, but I agree with Alabama anter. On the fact it's a  sand box topic anyways.

Well, TC thanks. 

Pssst the feeling is mutual ;)

YJK

#7 Offline Enderz - Posted January 29 2017 - 8:35 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

wait argentines hurt? i got both of my arms completely covered in argentines and they just tickled me to death XD.

• Nathant2131 likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#8 Offline Leo - Posted January 29 2017 - 9:50 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

1) when i was younger, i watched a tv show on bulldog ants, i then began to believe all large stinging ants were bulldog ants. this led to me telling EVERYONE that porine were bulldog ants. and people in my school still think i was telling the truth. So if you come to my school with a few diaccama, people will be like "nice bulldog ants"

2)  i bought a gel ant farm, found fire ants and used my hands to scoop dirt inside along with unmated alates. i think the gel ant farm might still be sitting on the fire ant mound to this day...

3) I fed about 20 pheidole majors to my little spider, they ripped the spider apart

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

#9 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 29 2017 - 9:57 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Yeah, move this to sandbox please.

Some argentine ants sprayed me with formic acid, and at that time it was quite painful.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted January 29 2017 - 11:30 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yeah, move this to sandbox please.

Some argentine ants sprayed me with formic acid, and at that time it was quite painful.

Linepithema humile are incapable of spraying acid. They're not even Formicines to begin with. 

Edited by LC3, January 31 2017 - 6:43 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 30 2017 - 12:47 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Very recently, I went to Petco to buy some crickets. To my amazement, some strange ants moved into one of the cricket boxes! I was allowed to keep those ants for free.
When I got home, I did all sorts of research to figure out what these strange its were. I was almost 90% sure that I had found a native mainland fire ant colony. Sadly for me, I learned that they were actually Pharaoh ants. I never new that Pharaoh ants were actually the size of Pheidole.

There are no known species of ants that are native to the Hawaiian Islands.

Linepithema humile are incapable of spraying acid. They're not even Formacines to begin with.

Spelling: Formicine

"The Formicinae are a subfamily within the Formicidae containing ants of moderate evolutionary development."

Edited by drtrmiller, January 30 2017 - 12:50 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 30 2017 - 7:00 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

There are no known species of ants that are native to the Hawaiian Islands. 

I meant ants that have been already introduced to hawaii. Also, I'm still confused that there is a Monomorium Liliuokalanii, and I can't find any descriptions of the species.

Also, I have no idea what those acid-spraying ants were. Maybe they were Black Crazy Ants or some small Formica. It was some time ago.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#13 Offline Martialis - Posted January 31 2017 - 7:51 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Here's some stuff regarding that species, Hawaiiant.

http://hol.osu.edu/index.html?id=31626

Edited by Martialis, January 31 2017 - 7:53 AM.

Spoiler

#14 Offline Martialis - Posted January 31 2017 - 7:56 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It's supposedly invasive from some southern Pacific islands.

Edited by Martialis, January 31 2017 - 7:56 AM.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, sad, whyyyy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users