• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant ID (Pheidole gilvescens) (Joshua Tree National Park, California) (8-15-2014)

ant id queen ant dspdrew joshua tree national park california pheidole gilvescens

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 15 2014 - 7:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

1. Location of collection: Near Joshua Tree National Park, California.
2. Date of collection: 8-3-2014.
3. Habitat of collection: High desert.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: All Yellowish-brown.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Small spines.

med_gallery_2_237_192159.jpg

med_gallery_2_237_153145.jpg

med_gallery_2_237_137595.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 15 2014 - 7:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Seems a bit big, but I think this might be Temnothorax.

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted August 15 2014 - 8:51 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

That head screams Pheidole to me.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 15 2014 - 9:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think you might be right. I wonder if I got myself a Pheidole gilvescens; I really wanted one.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 15 2014 - 10:17 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It looks like the mandibles of the red one with a yellow and black striped gaster that I have, they probably do have different colors, no? The mandibles especially though.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 15 2014 - 10:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah I was thinking of that one you have and that it might be the same as this one.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 15 2014 - 3:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They were flying the day I was there- I was right next to a colony with alates flying, and I didn't notice until I was about to head home, probably could have caught a lot more than five.  :(

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 15 2014 - 3:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ohhh based on what you're saying, and what I know about that spot, I'm almost positive that at least what you have is P. gilvescens. I was hoping they would fly while I was there, but I never really saw them, only P. xerophila. I didn't realize you got five of them, that's not bad. I only had six P. xerophila last year, and thought I got a lot more this year, but turns out I only have about eight of them now. Hopefully I'll be a little more successful with them this year.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 16 2014 - 2:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They were flying the day I was there- I was right next to a colony with alates flying, and I didn't notice until I was about to head home, probably could have caught a lot more than five.  :(

Exactly what day were you there again?

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 16 2014 - 2:26 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I forget the date- but next Tuesday it will be two weeks ago.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 16 2014 - 2:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh okay thanks. That was the day I left. Wish I would have known there were more flights coming. :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, queen ant, dspdrew, joshua tree national park, california, pheidole gilvescens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users