• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care Sheet - Crematogaster cerasi

crematogaster care sheet tutorial sheet crematogaster help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2017 - 9:54 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Scientific Name: Crematogaster Cerasi

Common name: Acrobat Ant

Distribution: Southern Canada, throughout much of the United States, and into northern Mexico.

Queen size: 7-8 mm

Worker size: 2-3 mm

Natural Habitat: They build their nests primarily in trees such as under bark, in hollow stems, or other cavities, but also lives in logs and stumps or under leaf litter and stones. These ants also nest inside houses and other buildings, usually in tight spaces such as between shingles and in or around doors and windows. They are most common in forests, but can also be found in grasslands, pastures, bogs, and marshes.

Circadian Activity: Nocturnal

Mating Flight: Late July to early September, usually in the afternoon or night. They fly up and mate a day or two after rain.

Queen Founding Method: Fully Claustral, usually in rotting wood and logs.

Monogyne or Polygyne: Monogyne

Average time from egg to worker: Egg to Larvae = 10 days; Larvae to pupae = 12 days, Pupae to worker = 10 days.

Recommended Temperature: Summer = 71 degrees - 77 degrees Fahrenheit, 23 degrees Celsius. Winter = 46 degrees Fahrenheit, 8 degrees Celsius.

Recommended Humidity: 40-50%

Preferred Foods: Most sugary foods and insects are readily accepted.

Hibernation Details: 46 degrees Fahrenheit, 8 degrees Celsius.

Escape Barrier Methods: PTFE (Fluon), rubbing alcohol and baby powder can work sometimes, but not as good as PTFE.

Difficulty rating: Easy to Medium

Bite and/or Sting rating: Doesn't hurt much, just leaves a small bump.

Special Care or Interesting Notes: Don't check on them much, maybe weekly if that. Be patient. Also, get an out world at about 15 workers because they like to wander. They can be clumsy on plastic and glass.

Additional Links:
 http://www.antwiki.o...togaster_cerasi
https://www.antweb.o...t=allantwebants
http://animaldiversi...ogaster_cerasi/

Information submitted by AnthonyP163 and AntsMAN

Edited by dspdrew, March 5 2022 - 6:55 PM.

• T.C., rdurham02, souljah212 and 3 others like this

#2 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted January 27 2017 - 10:20 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

How big do colonies get?

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 27 2017 - 11:00 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Oh man, really cool post. Thank you for this. My favorite and largest (colony size) is my C.cerasi, and i absolutely love them. They're my favorite species by far and i love their habits. Will be using this data sheet once mine wake up. Also, mine like nectar/sugar water, havent ever tried straight sugar water. Also, i have lots of videos of this species doing their normal routines for this thread.

• T.C., Kaelwizard and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted January 28 2017 - 7:34 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

How big do colonies get?

Some colonies reach over 10,000 ants.

Edited by Nathant2131, January 28 2017 - 7:37 AM.

• nabeach89 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, care sheet, tutorial sheet, crematogaster help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users