• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Ant Colony Sale - California

600 replies to this topic

#281 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 11 2017 - 4:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hi Drew, I bought a Veromessor Pergandei colony from you a few weeks back in a starter formicarium, and I was wondering what you would suggest for moving into a permanent setup. Since there are no places to connect a tube, I'm not quite sure what to do.

Just take the nest off the water tank and set it in the out world with the lid removed. The nest should dry out in a day or two, and the ants should find their new nest. Keep an eye on them just in case they don't find it for some reason. If they go without humidity for too long they will die.

#282 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 11 2017 - 3:30 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California
Unfortunately the formicarium doesn't fit into the outworld I have, would it work to connect a tube to hole in the top?

#283 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 11 2017 - 7:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That would probably work. If they start moving in, just move the queen into the nest yourself. Personally, I just forcefully move my ants where I want them.

#284 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 12 2017 - 5:32 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California
Ok thanks, I think I'll just use a larger, temporary outworld then switch them once they've moved into the nest
  • Jelly likes this

#285 Offline SoySauce - Posted May 25 2017 - 6:50 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA

Dang Drew!  Already??!  What kind of ant roids are you giving them??!  Thy look beautiful.

#286 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 28 2017 - 2:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Heat. :P

#287 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 8 2017 - 10:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Updated.

More Camponotus sansabeanus and C. vicinus colonies available now. :)

Also Liometopum occidentale colonies with 30 - 50 workers.

#288 Offline Goldsystem - Posted June 13 2017 - 7:10 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Will you be selling your dirt boxes?

#289 Offline thosaka - Posted June 21 2017 - 12:10 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Hi Drew. Will you have any Acromyrmex Versicolor or Myrmeccocystus queen for sale anytime soon?

Edited by Tagassi, June 21 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#290 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 26 2017 - 10:42 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Hi Drew. Will you have any Acromyrmex Versicolor or Myrmeccocystus queen for sale anytime soon?

Acromyrmex versicolor fly in August/September, if there are desert thunderstorms. It should be pretty soon, but its entirely weather dependent. It also depends how many queens he gets, and how many of those make colonies, and how many spares he has. I don't think last year Drew had very good luck with Acromyrmex.

Myrmecocystus already flew, you'd have to wait till next year for them in early Spring.

Assuming Drew doesn't have any colonies of Myrmecocystus or/and if he does, if he'd sell them.

Edited by Vendayn, June 26 2017 - 10:43 PM.

• Flyingtouchdown likes this

#291 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2017 - 1:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Most Myrmecocystus are in the desert, and no desert ants have flown yet this summer. There should be plenty honeypot ants flying as soon as the first storms go through the desert. I won't have anything available though, until at least the middle of August. As for Acromyrmex, if I have any this year, they probably won't be available until late October.

#292 Offline Jackie - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:09 PM

Jackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Dspdrew,I have sent a PM to you. :)  :)

#293 Offline honourable - Posted July 23 2017 - 8:00 AM

honourable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

september! gotta buy something for my bday  :D

#294 Offline kudofo - Posted August 1 2017 - 9:47 AM

kudofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Novomessor cockerelli [232]
Size: large
st tube) - $70
Available beginning of September

*sighs* Fine Ill just buy them!

Ill get them running in Fortress once they are big enough.

#295 Offline ahale - Posted August 2 2017 - 4:37 PM

ahale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi Drew! We'd like to buy one of the Liometopum occidentale colonies if they're still available. We want to use them for a student project involving eggs - do you know if they produce eggs quickly (such as maybe 10 a week?). We're in the O.C. area! 

#296 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 2 2017 - 10:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hi Drew! We'd like to buy one of the Liometopum occidentale colonies if they're still available. We want to use them for a student project involving eggs - do you know if they produce eggs quickly (such as maybe 10 a week?). We're in the O.C. area! 

I don't know exactly how many eggs they lay each week, but on average these produce a lot.

#297 Offline Flyingtouchdown - Posted August 6 2017 - 10:02 AM

Flyingtouchdown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi I was hopping to buy a pogornomerex species or litopinum octtale I live near you and I am hopping to buy thx
Hi I was hopping to buy a pogornomerex species or litopinum octtale I live near you and I am hopping to buy thx

#298 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted August 14 2017 - 1:50 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

When and where do you think the next desert nuptial collecting storm will be? I just haven't seen you in your stomping grounds ;)

:>

#299 Offline KBant - Posted August 14 2017 - 3:10 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

do you have anymore pogonomyrmex subnitidus? 

#300 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 14 2017 - 7:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

do you have anymore pogonomyrmex subnitidus? 

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users