•  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Journey into Hebel/Ytong/AAC formicariums

282 replies to this topic

#281 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Hey Guzzer, I used tea on the first couple of fish tank style ones but it has since faded. It still looks naturally weathered though.

All of the newer models are clay coated.

#282 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted Today, 2:55 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Just thought I'd post some shots of the crocodilian as it looks today.

Crocodilian 2804

It's looks as though it keeps ants quite well. I have lost two workers since it all began leaving four workers and two queens still inside.

The moss has anchored to the hebel but hasn't spread any further that I can tell. If anything it has probably pulled back a bit from the dryer edges.

Crocodilian back 2804
Not sure if I've posted shots of the back since I upgraded to black acrylic covers. They are much more aesthetically pleasing and make less noise than velcro strips.
The problem I have with these designs is the degree of difficulty in picking it up. It's a little awkward to move around. Displaying it on top of a Lazy Susan would be beneficial. Otherwise it needs to be displayed in the centre of a room for 360 degree access.
Crocodilian Top 2804

The tea stain has faded a little but the hebel is still in good condition.

Edited by CrazyLegs, Today, 2:58 PM.

#283 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted Today, 3:14 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

There is still quite a pile of odds and ends in the unused part of the nest but no serious mould issues have arisen.

Crocodilian rubbish pile 2804
The only mould I can see is actually growing within the clay perimeter seal.
Crocodilian short End 280417
The winged queen is in the lower right chamber with two workers.
The other wingless queen is on the other side of the nest with the soldier caste right behind her.
brevinoda wingless queen 280417
She is actually the smaller of the two queens so I hope they don't decide to go to war with each other.
brevinoda wingless queen closeup 280417
I will be removing whichever queen I see wandering around in the outworld but neither have left the nest while I've been on duty.

Edited by CrazyLegs, Today, 3:16 PM.

• Martialis and DCR82 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users