• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Journey into Hebel/Ytong/AAC formicariums

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#261 Offline Licespray - Posted April 16 2017 - 2:21 AM

Licespray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Wow, just spent the last hour reading this entire thread! Brilliant!

• Ant Love likes this

#262 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted April 16 2017 - 1:19 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Glad you enjoyed it Licespray :) ,

Here are some pics of the finer details of the Geode. They may seem small but their significance is great.

water fillig port
Filling the water reservoir is made easy with an external port.

Water Pot

Water pot with a micro mesh screen.

reservoir plug
To ensure the evaporation takes place within the tunnels the filling port is plugged with a hand made hebel and epoxy plug.
access port
16mm test tube access port.
access internal
With a little vinyl tubing this port can be used to connect any of my formicarium models together as your colony grows.
Geode tunnels

The Geode internal tunnels and a hand carved, clay coated and sealed nest entrance.

Myrmecia pilosula
I'm testing my Geode prototype with a Myrmecia pilosula queen. Apparently it holds the record as the worlds most dangerous ant. :o

Edited by CrazyLegs, April 16 2017 - 11:09 PM.

• dermy, Martialis and T.C. like this

#263 Offline Leo - Posted April 16 2017 - 4:17 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

where did you get her

#264 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted April 16 2017 - 11:10 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I swapped her with a friend for one of my Dragon Eggs. ;)

• T.C. likes this

#265 Offline Guzzer - Posted April 17 2017 - 5:39 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

fantasitc

I moved in a Camp. intrepidus to one of your Geckos last night. She looks like she is enjoying her upgrade from testube :)

• CrazyLegs likes this

#266 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 17 2017 - 7:22 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Make a company Crazy Legs!

YJK

#267 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted April 19 2017 - 1:03 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Good stuff Guzzer.

Thanks for all the interest guys and gals, what started as just tinkering in the garage has snowballed into quite an interesting affair.

As far as making a company is concerned I am not sure it will be a viable business. I will have some creations for sale shortly but you will most likely be taken aback by the cost. A Geode takes no less than 12 working hours to complete with everything made by hand. If I am able to make these for a fair price I will happily start pumping them out as fast as humanly possible. 

If you consider yourself a crafty person and you want to make your own. Here are all the hand crafted hebel parts you will need to get the job done.

Geode hebel parts
These parts have already been clay coated and sealed. Tunnels carved and water tower has been made, fitted and access port installed. The reservoir hebel and epoxy plug completed. Now you just need to drill a hole into a glass tank. Cut some acrylic for the veiwing screen and lid. Set a micro mesh ventilation port. Position the outworld over the nest entrance. Drill and set 12 neodymium magnets in strategic locations. Glue everything together and seal any gaps. Phew,..... guess I'd best get to it. :D

• PTAntFan, Martialis, T.C. and 1 other like this

#268 Offline Guzzer - Posted April 19 2017 - 3:34 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Good stuff Guzzer.

She is loving it as she loves hanging upside down - though I did notice she made it to the smallest chamber and was really struggling to turn around. She did finally make it back to the top chambers but I think it might be a tad to small. We thought so at the start, but we're so keen to get an queen into the Gecko that we risked it.

She might have to move back into a testube :(

Edited by Guzzer, April 19 2017 - 3:34 PM.

• CrazyLegs likes this

#269 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted April 20 2017 - 12:19 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Yeah mate, I made the Gecko for the smaller girls. I wouldn't be game to put anything bigger inside a small sealed unit. I have mine inside a fererro rocher box with the glow globe off at the moment. I've been adding springtail covered leaves to the out world and have seen a couple that have made their way past the ants and are feeding on the mold at the bottom. Happy days.

Anonychomyrma Sp springtails

#270 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 20 2017 - 2:45 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I have just read this whole thread, the best there is! Hope that queen of yours is fertilized!

• CrazyLegs and Ant Love like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#271 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 20 2017 - 4:31 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm fully convinced from the spiders, to the snakes, the baby eating dingos and centipedes, right down to the trap-jaw Myrmecia Brevinoda........Australia wants to kill me. 

• Martialis and CrazyLegs like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#272 Offline Kevin - Posted April 20 2017 - 4:36 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You should try to think of a way to have the water come in direct contact with the AAC, while maintaining a fair usage rate.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#273 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 21 2017 - 6:19 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Crazy Legs,

You just need to find an industrial setup that can take your templates and carve them quickly and with precision don't you? That would inject some cost but greatly reduce the production time to something manageable. I bet there's a balance there somewhere where it becomes affordable for buyers and profitable for you.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#274 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted April 21 2017 - 12:33 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

You should try to think of a way to have the water come in direct contact with the AAC, while maintaining a fair usage rate.

Over the course of evolving my designs I found that if you want a hebel formicarium to last it should never be in direct contact with water. Hebel swells when wet and of course shrinks when dry. where the moist parts meet the dry parts of the nest there is a conflict between the shrunken and the swollen which will eventually lead to cracking over time. I would hate for my creations to have a shelf life and have modified all my current nests to incorporate a water tower. Water towers create a humid nest environment without actually wetting the hebel.

It would certainly be quicker if a machine could do all my carving but I simply can't afford the outlay. Plus I have my doubts that any machine would be able to carve anything but a synthetic looking product.

I have even moved my Pseudoneoponera sp out of the Crustacean and installed the water tower and test tube access port.

Crustacean access port Mod
I even did some more tunnel mods while I was at it.
Crustacean tunnel mods
The girls were back in there and looking like they were loving the new renovation within 48 hours.
Pseudoneoponera water Pot

Edited by CrazyLegs, April 21 2017 - 12:40 PM.

• T.C. likes this

#275 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 21 2017 - 12:42 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

update on bull ants?

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#276 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted April 21 2017 - 12:45 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I'm trying not to disturb the M.brevinoda too much for the time being. They are at a critical juncture.

#277 Offline Leo - Posted April 21 2017 - 4:43 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

haha good to see your Pseudoneoponera sp are doing quite well like mine  :) 

• CrazyLegs likes this

#278 Offline Guzzer - Posted April 25 2017 - 2:54 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Hey mate, do you dye your hebel blocks? How do you get that smooth natural colour.

I built one not long ago but it's the original pasty white colour...

#279 Offline Martialis - Posted April 26 2017 - 3:33 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Hey mate, do you dye your hebel blocks? How do you get that smooth natural colour.

I believe he uses tea to dye them.

• Alabama Anter likes this
Spoiler

#280 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:53 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I believe he uses tea to dye them.

WOW how?

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users