• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

termite caste determination??? and setup questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 8 2015 - 3:08 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

As well as doing extensive work with ants i would like to do some small projects this upcoming spring with both bumble bees (Bombus impatiens) and yellow footed subterranean termites (Reticulitermes flavipes). before starting my work with termites, i have studied them quite a bit but have a few questions about their biology and social structures, such as "how is caste determined if all termites within the colony eat the same food item that contains a uniform nutritional value?" and "i know by using certain social pressures, such as removing the primary reproductive (queen and king) pheromone, you can artificially turn secondary reproductive nymphs into supplementary reproductives. but is there a way to speed up the process and make the change more prone to occur?". if you guys can answer these questions, that would be awesome!!!! i also want to see examples of setups i can use to rear termites that allow for observation (i am already working on one that uses interchangeable pieces of wood that can be easily replaced).

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 8 2015 - 3:10 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

sorry i double posted this, you can just comment on the other one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users