• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need creative advice for moving colony

temnothorax moving formicarium temnothorax nylanderi plaster formicarium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline goliat314 - Posted December 27 2016 - 3:04 PM

goliat314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKronoberg, Sweden

Hi!

So I recently built myself a new formicarium made out of plaster (end product looks very similar to this guys , check around 29:45) and I really thinks it looks good and natural. I decided to move my Formica cinerea into it yesterday, and they love their new home! I natually decided to make another but smaller one for my Temnothorax nylanderi colony of around 150 workers, since their old formicarium had lots of big chambers and they weren't quite comfortable in that.

So I made a new small one chamber formicarium to try and mimic a natural nest for them, however there was a hole no bigger than half a centimeter in diameter, and i'd guess the inner volume of this hole is around 1 cubic centimeter. I didn't think much of it and I washed off the clay like the last one. I went to watch TV as I connected the old formicarium to the new one while shining a bright light on the old formicarium like usual. I then couldn't find many ants when I came back, and very little brood. They have actually moved the entire colony into this tiny hole and I am having trouble finding a good way to get them out of there without cutting the entire thing open and having tons of escapees. Does anyone have any Idea how I may go about fixing the issue? I can provide pictures if necessary, all I can say is that the hole looks packed full of ants.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by goliat314, December 27 2016 - 3:09 PM.

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 27 2016 - 3:20 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Keep them in there! That is probably the most natural thing if they like it. You also could just dry out the hole and get them to come out into a humid spot. :)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline goliat314 - Posted December 27 2016 - 3:29 PM

goliat314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKronoberg, Sweden

Keep them in there! That is probably the most natural thing if they like it. You also could just dry out the hole and get them to come out into a humid spot. :)

Eeeeeh I guess I can, but I want to observe them as well :P

I'll try drying them out I guess, but yeah it is the most natural nest for them I suppose. 

Thank you!

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted December 27 2016 - 3:45 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Let them be there, they will soon have grown enough to expand into the rest of the nest. The early founding stage is a very critical phase in a colony's life and I wouldn't disturb them if it's not absolutely necessary (which it isn't obviously they like where they are).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 4 2017 - 6:46 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
Just keep them in there. They'll eventually need to expand and fill the formicarium glass so you can view them. You just preserved your formicarium by them entering the hole. They won't have to move out as soon because of crowding

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temnothorax, moving, formicarium, temnothorax nylanderi, plaster formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users