• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Temnothorax Care and Other Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 21 2016 - 5:54 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Temnothorax is among one of my ants I'll go looking for next ant season here in Massachusetts. I do not know much about this species, and I always like to research an overkill amount about genuses and species before catching any. I find this certain genus though, to be quite lacking of info online. First off, I would like to know all subgeneses of them and how to differentiate between each species, (Queen and workers) as well as from similar looking genuses like Leptothorax. Second, care. Do they need nuts to nest in? Either way, if I wanted to add nuts which nuts work best, and should I cut them open a bit so they can nest in them? Is Temnothorax slow or fast growing? What is their ideal temerature? I know they are found in forests. What type of forests? Here are all the Temnothorax species in my area. I don't mind if anyone go off topic and discusses species not present in my area or not close to me but I would mostly like to know about what is around me. 

-T. ambiguus

-T. americanus

-T. curvispinosus

-T. longispinosus

-T. schaumii

-T. texanus

Thank you for any info!  :)  :good2:

P.S. Any random facts that don't match the criteria of any of my questions are fine, too. I want to learn as much as possible about these guys! 

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 22 2016 - 9:17 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

PREFACE:  

Newbie ant keeper here so still learning so these are just my observations.  The type was roughly IDed in the ID forum as potentially T. Curvispinosus, however being so small hard to get a great ID without a microscope.

CATCHING ALATES:

First noted started flying in MA on 6/29 at dusk.  Mine were caught around 10pm on a warm humid early Summer night; 66F and 81% humidity; they were only seen during these types of conditions (would go out nightly from 5-6pm and 9pm to 11pm looking for alates all season.)  They flew pretty heavily for a few days, but I recall them being seen for about 1 -2 weeks.  At their peak, they were easily caught as attracted in high numbers readily to any sort of light; LED or CFL driveway lights and even a LED flashlight set on the ground.  I often heard a high pitch flying sound (higher pitched than a mosquito) as the buzzed by my ear, but not 100% attributed to them or something similar fly around the same time.  The queen also kept her wings for quite some time (she may even still have at least one now during hibernation, can verify this later), so wing loss is not a good identifier for fertility.

COLONY GROWTH:  

I would say a slow colony grower; collected 6/29, about 1 -1.5 weeks later first eggs laid.  By end of the summer there were about 4-5 workers before I had an accidental die off from dehydration (more on that in a moment.)  Prior to Fall she had laid again one last time, and appeared to be larvae before hibernation.

FOOD:

I did byFormica Sunburst and even chicken scraps from dinner. Mine seemed pretty opportunistic, and not overly picky.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

They are on the tiny end of the ants size spectrum, so don't need a huge space at all. They did not go far to forage at all. At the peak when I had about five workers within a 13mm test tube, and even that felt very large for them.  The queen would feed directly within the test tube if food was provided and fairly mobile within the test tube.

You could put them in a cleaned/sterilized acorn (mold always a concern), however not sure if you'd be able to see them well enough or at all.  Let me repeat, they are really small, and workers not easy to see as it is. I may try to find a shorter/narrow test tube, with a small opening to the outworld to simulate the tiny opening from an acorn.

One major issue I had was they did NOT go far from then test tube when conditions were poor (original test tube ran dry.)  I had connected their 13mm tube to an AMAC box of 4x4".  There was a second test tube with fresh water about 1.5" away parallel to the first.  Even with them foraging, they never found the 2nd test tube and started to die of dehydration very quickly.  For hibernation I attached another tube directly with tape, and seems to be working so far.

They are also pretty relaxed in terms of light levels and their test tube being bumped around.  If the cover to test tube was removed, they rarely went into a state of panic for long (if at all) and would continue on as normal as I could tell.

Edited by noebl1, December 22 2016 - 9:18 AM.

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 22 2016 - 12:09 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

PREFACE:  

Newbie ant keeper here so still learning so these are just my observations.  The type was roughly IDed in the ID forum as potentially T. Curvispinosus, however being so small hard to get a great ID without a microscope.

CATCHING ALATES:

First noted started flying in MA on 6/29 at dusk.  Mine were caught around 10pm on a warm humid early Summer night; 66F and 81% humidity; they were only seen during these types of conditions (would go out nightly from 5-6pm and 9pm to 11pm looking for alates all season.)  They flew pretty heavily for a few days, but I recall them being seen for about 1 -2 weeks.  At their peak, they were easily caught as attracted in high numbers readily to any sort of light; LED or CFL driveway lights and even a LED flashlight set on the ground.  I often heard a high pitch flying sound (higher pitched than a mosquito) as the buzzed by my ear, but not 100% attributed to them or something similar fly around the same time.  The queen also kept her wings for quite some time (she may even still have at least one now during hibernation, can verify this later), so wing loss is not a good identifier for fertility.

COLONY GROWTH:  

I would say a slow colony grower; collected 6/29, about 1 -1.5 weeks later first eggs laid.  By end of the summer there were about 4-5 workers before I had an accidental die off from dehydration (more on that in a moment.)  Prior to Fall she had laid again one last time, and appeared to be larvae before hibernation.

FOOD:

I did byFormica Sunburst and even chicken scraps from dinner. Mine seemed pretty opportunistic, and not overly picky.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

They are on the tiny end of the ants size spectrum, so don't need a huge space at all. They did not go far to forage at all. At the peak when I had about five workers within a 13mm test tube, and even that felt very large for them.  The queen would feed directly within the test tube if food was provided and fairly mobile within the test tube.

You could put them in a cleaned/sterilized acorn (mold always a concern), however not sure if you'd be able to see them well enough or at all.  Let me repeat, they are really small, and workers not easy to see as it is. I may try to find a shorter/narrow test tube, with a small opening to the outworld to simulate the tiny opening from an acorn.

One major issue I had was they did NOT go far from then test tube when conditions were poor (original test tube ran dry.)  I had connected their 13mm tube to an AMAC box of 4x4".  There was a second test tube with fresh water about 1.5" away parallel to the first.  Even with them foraging, they never found the 2nd test tube and started to die of dehydration very quickly.  For hibernation I attached another tube directly with tape, and seems to be working so far.

They are also pretty relaxed in terms of light levels and their test tube being bumped around.  If the cover to test tube was removed, they rarely went into a state of panic for long (if at all) and would continue on as normal as I could tell.

Thank you for that in depth description!  :)  I love small, slow growing ants and that makes me want to keep Temnothorax even more! Thanks for all the help you've given to me the past few days. Very helpful.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 22 2016 - 2:31 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Thank you for that in depth description!  :)  I love small, slow growing ants and that makes me want to keep Temnothorax even more! Thanks for all the help you've given to me the past few days. Very helpful.

NP.  I just checked, and the queen still has her wings.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#5 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 2 2017 - 8:35 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I happened to find a colony of these this week. she has 5 workers and a nice pile off eggs.. its crazy how tiny these are!!

• Nathant2131 likes this

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#6 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 3 2017 - 5:34 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I've definitely had challenges with them moving test tubes.  I can't tell if she's dead or hibernating as so small, can't make her out.  *Very* reluctant to move when resources run dry.   They are also very easy to kill by accident doing routine care as so tiny. 

• Nathant2131 likes this

#7 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 3 2017 - 6:29 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

i luckily havent had to move mine yet.. i just made the tube a week ago so it should be good all year long i hope

• Nathant2131 likes this

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

Keeper of:

Tetramorium

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 3 2017 - 7:34 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Almost 3 months later, I realize how stupid I sounded in this topic.

-"genuses"

-"subgenuses" (Temnothorax has no subgenera anyways)

-"Do they need nuts to nest in?"  ..........................................................    :facepalm:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Martialis likes this

#9 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 5 2017 - 6:47 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Almost 3 months later, I realize how stupid I sounded in this topic.

-"genuses"

-"subgenuses" (Temnothorax has no subgenera anyways)

-"Do they need nuts to nest in?"  ..........................................................    :facepalm:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mine are currently in a test tube setup

• Nathant2131 likes this

Keeper of:

Tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users