• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it legal to transport an ant colony from Hawaii to Connecticut?

ant colony queen transport states

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Offline FSTP - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:33 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Please do not release them! People have given good advise it would suit you well if you listened.  :)

• Connectimyrmex likes this

#22 Offline Reacker - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:33 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

If we can't get people to deal with the cats in a way that corresponds to the massive damage they cause to the environment and to people through spreading parasites to the humans that own them, then I don't think that there's much hope in getting people to respond appropriately to the potential consequences of releasing/transporting ants. Based on the attitude in the community that I've been seeing for years its clear that if the anting community ever attracts the attention of law makers regarding the transport and keeping of ants, the ant keepers are going to find that they are worse off than they were before getting that attention. 

• gcsnelling, dermy, LC3 and 4 others like this

#23 Offline FSTP - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:39 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

If we can't get people to deal with the cats in a way that corresponds to the massive damage they cause to the environment and to people through spreading parasites to the humans that own them, then I don't think that there's much hope in getting people to respond appropriately to the potential consequences of releasing/transporting ants. Based on the attitude in the community that I've been seeing for years its clear that if the anting community ever attracts the attention of law makers regarding the transport and keeping of ants, the ant keepers are going to find that they are worse off than they were before getting that attention. 

Exactly. That is why it is incumbent on us ant enthusiasts and keepers to self govern and keep ants in a responsible manner that doesn't attract the attention of law makers. 

#24 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:44 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Please do not release them! People have given good advise it would suit you well if you listened.  :)

If you read the bottom, I said that I probably will give them away. Worse case scenario, I will help my Yellow Crazy Ants form a super colony at the school tennis courts, give the Ochetellus to an inexperienced school friend (My Ochetellus is unbelievably easy to care for) , release the semi-claustral queens at the Aiea hike (there are a lot of aphids there, so I think that their future workers should do great), and release my started colonies in abandoned termite galleries. Hopefully someone will adopt them, though.

This is quite true. Cats are quite a problem and no body seems to acknowledge this, but still the blame of such things go to the lesser species that nobody understand.

Edited by Hawaiiant, December 20 2016 - 6:45 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#25 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:45 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Anyway, I think it would be pretty sad if we (ant keepers) rally to gain ant rights in the US.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#26 Offline Reacker - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:52 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

If you agree with what I said, then you should kill your ants like expert opinion on the subject advises rather than letting them go. Otherwise you're just part of the problem. 

• Martialis likes this

#27 Offline LC3 - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:54 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hawaii would be a bit of an exception to the rule of not releasing even local ants, because Hawaii has no endemic ants. Their ant fauna is made entirely of introduced species -- all the more reason to leave the ants there.

Ideally, you ought to find somebody to adopt the ants.

I think Batspiderfish's post must be brought up in terms of relevance as Hawaii indeed does not have any native ants.

In this sense if you could create a pathogen that wipes out all these ants and spread it to the local populations you'd be doing the flora and fauna there a service.

Although I suggest you not try to play god on the local ecosystem regardless.

#28 Offline FSTP - Posted December 20 2016 - 7:55 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

The gamble is if that pathogen jumps species and instead of just destroying the non native ant population and it starts affecting native insect populations. 

Its just best to either rehome them making it clear to the new person to never release them or to just kill/despose of them.

• Batspiderfish and Connectimyrmex like this

#29 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 20 2016 - 9:27 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I found someone to adopt! Hopefully my friend can keep my numerous colonies.

Also, Fyre Ant Kevin requested to adopt my colonies for Formicarium testing. He's in New Jersey. According to him, there's a way for him to get my colonies. As of now, I think that my ant colonies are all plant pests, so are impossible to transport. Does he have an APHIS permit? 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#30 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 20 2016 - 9:28 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

If you agree with what I said, then you should kill your ants like expert opinion on the subject advises rather than letting them go. Otherwise you're just part of the problem. 

I think that I'll just have a friend adopt them. :)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#31 Offline benjiwuf - Posted December 20 2016 - 10:42 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
No there is not, and no he does not. He would be obtaining them illegally, and you would be shipping them illegally. DO NOT SHIP THE ANTS TO ANYONE!

#32 Offline FSTP - Posted December 21 2016 - 12:43 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

I found someone to adopt! Hopefully my friend can keep my numerous colonies.

Also, Fyre Ant Kevin requested to adopt my colonies for Formicarium testing. He's in New Jersey. According to him, there's a way for him to get my colonies. As of now, I think that my ant colonies are all plant pests, so are impossible to transport. Does he have an APHIS permit? 

Good to hear you've found someone to take your ants locally. Just explain to them if at any point in the future they're unable to take care of them they only have two options finding someone else to take care of them or humanly killing them.

As for Keven having a way to get your colonies. There is no legal way for him to get your colonies. If he truly did approach you requesting to  to adopt your ant colonies for "formicarium testing" he would be breaking US law as well as breaking forum rules he most certainly is aware of. Its rather irresponsible of him.

Edited by FSTP, December 21 2016 - 12:45 AM.

#33 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 21 2016 - 4:43 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
This topic is getting dumber by the day...damn kids.
  • Reacker likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#34 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 21 2016 - 6:32 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It used to be that we just had to say "you, a hobbyist, cannot import ants across state lines" and people would respond "Ok! I understand."

The number of people (mostly children) connecting on this forum and exchanging ants in external, private groups, illegally and completely ignorant of the consequences, is like nothing I've seen anywhere else. It's exhausting to have to fight people on such a damn simple concept, but then I guess this is a new age wherein convenience and gratification supersedes knowledge and responsibility. End rant.

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 21 2016 - 6:35 AM.

• gcsnelling and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#35 Online dspdrew - Posted December 21 2016 - 8:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well, a lot of it is the demographic change here since MIkey's big viral video.

• Reacker, dermy, drtrmiller and 1 other like this

#36 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 21 2016 - 9:47 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I will just have my friend adopt my ants.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#37 Offline Salmon - Posted December 21 2016 - 1:04 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Just wondering, where do you all suppose these "pathogens that could spread to native insects" would come from? They're just ants that he caught locallly, they haven't been exposed to diseased insects from all over the world.

#38 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 21 2016 - 2:46 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Just wondering, where do you all suppose these "pathogens that could spread to native insects" would come from? They're just ants that he caught locallly, they haven't been exposed to diseased insects from all over the world.

They are kept indoors and are not exposed to what ants would normally be exposed to.  There is no telling exactly what they can get, as things mutate all of the time and there are enormous amounts of possibilities.  If you notice, we almost always say could, possibly, or what if.  

• dermy likes this

#39 Offline dermy - Posted December 21 2016 - 3:03 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

They are kept indoors and are not exposed to what ants would normally be exposed to.  There is no telling exactly what they can get, as things mutate all of the time and there are enormous amounts of possibilities.  If you notice, we almost always say could, possibly, or what if.  

Exactly, mutations in bacteria and viruses happen all the time. All it takes is a few gene changes and something that ants used to be "adapted" to are no longer equip to deal with it. This is also why the "Common Flu" can be caught many times, because it's actually just a mutated version of the same virus.

Edited by dermy, December 21 2016 - 3:03 PM.

#40 Online dspdrew - Posted December 21 2016 - 4:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Exactly, mutations in bacteria and viruses happen all the time. All it takes is a few gene changes and something that ants used to be "adapted" to are no longer equip to deal with it. This is also why the "Common Flu" can be caught many times, because it's actually just a mutated version of the same virus.

Spoken from experience.

• Reacker, gcsnelling, dermy and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant, colony, queen, transport, states

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users