• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Canadian anter's Acanthomyops journal and experiments

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:17 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
What ever happened?
  • AnthonyP163 and rbarreto like this

#62 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 7 2018 - 12:09 PM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I thought Lasius claviger workers were orange? I had one born in captivity and it was orange. Or have I had all my claviger queens misidentified?

I have 6/8 Lasius claviger setups with eggs right now.

#63 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 7 2018 - 12:17 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Mine were more yellow, it's probably just the colour variation. Nice to see you're finally here.

I had a smaller colony with eggs but they died along with a lot of other colonies this year in hibernation

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#64 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 7 2018 - 12:25 PM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok cool, I couldn’t really tell from your video. Ya I got locked out of the AntsCanada forum and can not for the life of me get another account approved. Not sure why that is...

#65 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 7 2018 - 12:27 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Ah. I believe you aren't allowed to ship ants (I think you have, I'm not sure and I'm surprised I haven't been banned). Or maybe you were inactive for too long and were banned during the April cleanup.

#66 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted May 7 2018 - 12:35 PM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Nope I haven’t shipped ants. Only traded claviger queens for host workers. Plus I purchased a colony through the GAN project. But ya I was inactive for quite a while. Doesn’t really explain why I can’t get another account approved though.

#67 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 2 2018 - 8:17 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

UPDATE 10/3/2018

Awhile back I received 12 colonies of Lasius americanus from a friend, and one of the queens died, leaving me with a queenless colony. I ended up removing the queen and putting her with a Lasius claviger queen for a few hours before introducing both back to the colony. Success!

I also want to add how much the claviger queen has been fed. Look at the comparison of how fat the 2018 queen is compared to a 2017 queen

Edit: the last video is the one from last year

Edited by Canadian anter, October 2 2018 - 8:18 PM.

• rdurham02, rbarreto and spartANTS like this

#68 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 29 2019 - 8:13 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

UPDATE 1/29/2019

Ehhhh Let's get this journal going again!

These ants were taken out of hibernation around 2 weeks ago. I have no colonies right now, both of which have been accepted. One of them had eggs for at least a day. I'm putting these in complete darkness for a week, to see if it coaxes them to lay more. Will update then.

• Karma likes this

#69 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 30 2019 - 10:35 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

UPDATE 1/29/2019

Ehhhh Let's get this journal going again!

These ants were taken out of hibernation around 2 weeks ago. I have no colonies right now, both of which have been accepted. One of them had eggs for at least a day. I'm putting these in complete darkness for a week, to see if it coaxes them to lay more. Will update then.

wait, does that mean I should take mine out soon?

#70 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 30 2019 - 7:45 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I hibernate them for 3 months. I'd imagine you'd need 4 months for more Northern areas.

#71 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 6 2019 - 2:17 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

UPDATE 1/29/2019

Back on track! For reference, I have two colonies, A and B. A is the one in the introduction video I posted. I took B a week or so before I took A out from hibernation, as I thought it it most likely had a lower chance of survival, but they now have a small stack of 20 eggs! I will add a few alienus larvae to the mix to "hide" them, as from reading other people's journals and from past experience it seems the claviger brood fares better when mixed with host brood. Photos later today.

• rbarreto likes this

#72 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 6 2019 - 9:00 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

t4SsO1V.jpg

iGR92xb.jpg

4MKFvtI.jpg

updated with images

• rdurham02 and rbarreto like this

#73 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 7 2019 - 3:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Egg pile doubled in size today

#74 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 16 2019 - 6:39 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
UPDATE 2/16/2019

This queen, despite having just laid another batch off eggs and already having larvae, decided to die on me. I'm getting a few more queens from a friend to reintroduce, but will use a plaster nest like I did before this time.

#75 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted February 25 2019 - 9:22 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Awe what a shame. I just checked on my claviger set ups, all are doing fine in hibernation. Will take them out April 01, after 5 months of hibernation.

Did you lose both queen A and B?

#76 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 25 2019 - 11:17 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Queen A is just lying around doing nothing.

#77 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 13 2019 - 4:21 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Uh ok guys. Haven't done this in awhile. In Early July I obtained a dealate Lasius interjectus in a trade with MaxGen and an alate Lasius interjectus in a trade with UnFrozen.

Unfortunately, we happened to have been having a dry spell so all the Lasius in my yard decided to dig deep into the ground.

I put the queens into a test tube setup, feeding them frequently. I then had to leave for vacation but was able to ship these, along with the rest of my colonies to a friend in Winnipeg (also acting distributor for Canada Colony)

After a week of unsuccessful introductions, with the queens killing off any and all host workers, we were able to get them to accept a few callows, and a large amount of Lasius pallitarsis pupae. The queens had survived 3 and 2 weeks w/o hosts respectively, which is fairly impressive on it's own. Just a few days later though the alate queen passed. Luckily, the remaining queen has been doing great and I'm told she has become somewhat physogastric. Pictures will come soon

#78 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 13 2019 - 4:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I have also purchased some of the sand antfarms, and am going to attempt making a setup with root aphids this year

#79 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2019 - 9:01 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have also purchased some of the sand antfarms, and am going to attempt making a setup with root aphids this year

Could be used to keep acropyga.

Edited by ponerinecat, August 13 2019 - 9:01 PM.

#80 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 14 2019 - 1:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I have an idea for a substrate free root aphid setup. I just would need the root aphids. I have had the idea for about 6 months. I have only seen root aphids once, and they are in a plant pot. Problem is i would probably end up killing the aphids if I cut open the pot.

Edited by NickAnter, August 14 2019 - 1:08 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users