• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus c.f. vicinus Journal (Updated:8/19/17) Comeback?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Martialis - Posted January 21 2017 - 5:30 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Since I put my ants in late, I'm gonna take them out on 04/13/17.

Spoiler

#22 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 30 2017 - 3:32 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Update 1/30/17: Actually I took them out today, 2 days earlier. I don't think there have been any deaths in the colony. However, the last time I pulled them out they were on their feet within 10-20 minutes, and looked stable. Today, however, 5 hours later most are still on the ground, and the ones that are up look like they're drunk and can't climb. The queen is one of those who is still on the ground, though I saw her antennae moving. The most worrying thing is that the ants that haven't gotten up yet have been twitching constantly for hours. Does anybody know what is going on? Is this natural?

• Martialis likes this

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#23 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 30 2017 - 8:29 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

What date did you start hibernation?

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#24 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 30 2017 - 8:33 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I started on 12/8/16. They probably hibernated on their own in the wild for a bit too.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#25 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 30 2017 - 8:34 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I started on 12/8/16. They probably hibernated on their own in the wild for a bit too.

Oh ok

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#26 Offline Californian Anter - Posted February 2 2017 - 5:36 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

They haven't found the sugar water, though there was one lethargic worker in the outworld today. I fear that if this continues the colony will wind up dying.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#27 Offline Serafine - Posted February 3 2017 - 4:45 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
You can put the sugar water into or a least closer to the nest (like right at the doorstep).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#28 Offline Californian Anter - Posted February 3 2017 - 5:17 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

You can put the sugar water into or a least closer to the nest (like right at the doorstep).

That winded up drowning one of my workers. Count down to 6.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#29 Offline Kevin - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:24 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

If you have a needle or something small, put a tiny drop of honey or nectar right next to them. Maybe a few very small drops to prevent drowning.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#30 Offline Californian Anter - Posted February 17 2017 - 5:33 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Update 2/17/17: Well, I had figured they didn't like the Omni Nest for some reason, and decided to get them a THA Mini Hearth. Imagine my surprise when I realized the queen is too fat to fit through the tube that leads to the outworld! So instead, I chilled the whole colony, then opened up the nest and grabbed the queen with featherweight forceps. I opened the glass, dropped her in, and replaced it. Part one done! Next, I discovered they had one egg. I took the egg with a q-tip and dropped it down the chute into the nest. Finally, I picked up all 6 workers and put them into the outworld. One went in immediately, while the others just chilled in the outworld, since they didn't know they had a new nest. I had to prod them with an unbent paper clip to get them all to go in. Currently, all of them look quite comfortable in the new nest.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#31 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 4 2017 - 1:04 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Update 3/4/17: They are now down to 4, but after eating some spiders the queen laid about 7 eggs. However, they aren't really in a pile; there's 3 clustered together and 4 scattered around. The last 4 workers aren't injured and constantly moving, so I hope they can make a comeback. The queen doesn't look as weak either.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#32 Offline Kevin - Posted March 4 2017 - 1:58 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You can add some loose sand into their Mini Hearth to let them settle in it, Camponotus like to have a nice surface.

#33 Offline nurbs - Posted March 4 2017 - 7:32 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I have extensive experience with this species and collect them every year up in the mountains near my home. I have never put mine in the fridge for hibernation, just outside in the cold and they do fine. I think the fact you kept putting them in the fridge and taking them out may have killed or stressed some of the workers. All my C. vicinus have been out of hibernation since late January. I would leave them out of the fridge now and let them do their thing. Don't force them to move or eat. They'll come around.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#34 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 5 2017 - 12:35 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I have extensive experience with this species and collect them every year up in the mountains near my home. I have never put mine in the fridge for hibernation, just outside in the cold and they do fine. I think the fact you kept putting them in the fridge and taking them out may have killed or stressed some of the workers. All my C. vicinus have been out of hibernation since late January. I would leave them out of the fridge now and let them do their thing. Don't force them to move or eat. They'll come around.

Thanks Nurbs. Taking them out and putting them back probably somehow stressed or injured them, because the second time I took them out their legs and antennae looked twisted, and they all looked weak.

Anyway, another worker somehow drowned on a cotton ball in a cap full of sugar water. Idk how that happened. Count down to 3. The queen at half of an earwig, and made a pile of eggs.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#35 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted March 5 2017 - 1:00 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I've heard about nanitics being relatively short lived compared to true minors. Do you think that's what's going on?

Also, I have to ask, are you seeing this species in the same places as you would other large Camponotus? I found a large colony of Camponotus vicinus last fall and I'm really hoping to find a queen or fledgling colony this year. They're definitely easy on the eyes.

#36 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 5 2017 - 1:29 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I've heard about nanitics being relatively short lived compared to true minors. Do you think that's what's going on?

Also, I have to ask, are you seeing this species in the same places as you would other large Camponotus? I found a large colony of Camponotus vicinus last fall and I'm really hoping to find a queen or fledgling colony this year. They're definitely easy on the eyes.

I'm pretty sure nanitics are rather short lived, and live for a few months. But since this is my first colony ever, I feel most deaths are due to my lack of experience. About seeing Camponotus, this is the only colony I have confirmed so far. I may have found another one, but not in the same place. The possible Camponotus Vicinus colony I found lives in between two massive slabs of sun-heated concrete, are black colored, and are about 4-6 mm long.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#37 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 5 2017 - 2:34 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Apparently the worker didn't die. I was checking on them and I saw her twitching in the ant graveyard. Lo and behold, she actually got up and started to clean herself off. I put her back with her family. Now, she is probably haring her story and the sugar water  :D .

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#38 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 29 2017 - 7:15 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Update (3/29/17): Short update. A few days ago, the queen systematically murdered almost all her brood  :facepalm: . I fear if something doesn't turn around they are going to die. Also, a worker somehow bypassed the fluon.

• Martialis likes this

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#39 Offline Californian Anter - Posted April 8 2017 - 12:02 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Update (4/8/17): Well, this colony is most likely doomed. 3 workers died of old age, leaving just one behind who will probably follow them soon. At least the queen is alive, so later on in the colony's lifespan I was doing something right.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#40 Offline Kevin - Posted April 8 2017 - 1:02 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Generally the queen is the toughest ant in the colony lifespan wise. Put the queen and worker in a test tube with sand or wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users