• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Welcome to Lazy Tube - Serafine's Camponotus barbaricus

camponotus camponotus barbaricus lazy tube

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Serafine - Posted August 10 2017 - 11:30 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
I think there's a worker below the queen and it's gaster sort of adds to the queen's shape, that's why it looks so odd on the last picture.

I'm glad they finally moved and are no longer storing their brood right next to the food dish and the sugar water towers (couldn't remove the old food when it started to smell), even though there had to happen some sort of natural disaster first.
But then "my ants are so lazy it took a flood to get them moving" makes for a good laugh, so there's that.

Edited by Serafine, August 10 2017 - 11:43 PM.

• Hikari likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#122 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 11 2017 - 9:38 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Wow, they're beautiful! :)

#123 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 11 2017 - 12:39 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Good teamwork Lazy Tube, good to see they all survived. 

#124 Offline Krogzaxants - Posted August 11 2017 - 1:12 PM

Krogzaxants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Awesome post! Good to know information :) 

Krogzax ants 
Youtube channel 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFZ8QpJxGrrkFoflkbPY4Pw 

Ant colonies 
Messor barbarus 25-30 workers http://www.formicult...s-krogzax-ants/
Camponotus cruentatus queen + brood 
Camponotus barbaricus queen + brood http://www.formicult...s-krogzax-ants/

#125 Offline Krogzaxants - Posted August 11 2017 - 1:13 PM

Krogzaxants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

I also have a Camponotus barbaricus colony. 
Its nice to see your development.

Edited by Krogzaxants, August 11 2017 - 1:16 PM.

Krogzax ants 
Youtube channel 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFZ8QpJxGrrkFoflkbPY4Pw 

Ant colonies 
Messor barbarus 25-30 workers http://www.formicult...s-krogzax-ants/
Camponotus cruentatus queen + brood 
Camponotus barbaricus queen + brood http://www.formicult...s-krogzax-ants/

#126 Offline Hikari - Posted August 11 2017 - 11:01 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Glad to see the Lazy Horde moved successfully, even if it did take a flood to finally get them to go, lol

#127 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 12 2017 - 4:54 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I got scared too at the beginning. But glad to hear Lazy Horde has made their voyage to the formicarium! :)

#128 Offline Serafine - Posted August 13 2017 - 3:18 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
This just a small foraging party but then it was quite early (few minutes before midnight) usually they come out in larger number after midnight. They're still eating a lot, about 2 bee pupae per 1-2 days. This time I'm trying a wild grasshopper but they're probably not interested.
F6JT54K.jpg

Looks like they really like the nest. They live mostly in the top and mid chambers with the pupae closer to the heating cable and the small larvae more in the mid chambers, however there's always a few ants moving between the water tube in the bottom slot. In the top right chamber you can see the size difference between minor and major pupae.
1zRUtws.jpg

eF7M3R4.jpg

4QTKEN7.jpg

They frequently bring the smaller larvae into the water tube. I can't see any eggs but there might be some hidden at the cotton or carried by a worker in the vinyl tubing part of the water tube.
YQZTCJF.jpg

5ISfAxb.jpg

It doesn't really look like much has happened in the last few days however ALL the eggs have hatched into larvae, maybe because now there's more nesting space available.
I expect them to become more hungry now that they have that many brood. They're already a lot more active than before, although only during night times.
  • lucas3431 and Krogzaxants like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#129 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 13 2017 - 8:20 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Wow! That is a lot! Come on queen! We need majors!

#130 Offline Serafine - Posted August 14 2017 - 12:42 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

You mean "more majors". They already have three :D

#131 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 14 2017 - 1:09 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

You mean "more majors". They already have three :D

Oh wow, i diddnt see them! Very cool! YES MOAR!

#132 Offline Serafine - Posted August 14 2017 - 2:13 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Here's a small major parade for you :)

sFbxjiC.jpg

pMLJEnz.jpg

GO6jNyA.jpg

XCupjlH.jpg

c4Y95KF.jpg

gtc4ysc.jpg
  • lucas3431 likes this

#133 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 14 2017 - 3:04 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Woo Hoo! Yes we need all majors.. who needs media? MAJORS!

#134 Offline Serafine - Posted August 14 2017 - 7:16 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, actually the majors are pretty useless right now. They're like the Royal Navy during most of the 17th and 18th century - all they do is walk around looking intimidating due to their sheer size. The important work is all done by the nanitics, the minors and a few medias. Also some of the medias seem to be dedicated nurses.

Edited by Serafine, August 14 2017 - 7:18 AM.

#135 Offline T.C. - Posted August 14 2017 - 8:14 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Majors are fun if you feed your colony live insects. Otherwise, yeah they do just kind of wander around and guard the nest entrance. But they put there life on the line when it's time to defend, so it's nothing but mere preparation time.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#136 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 14 2017 - 12:27 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice pictures and colony! Do you plan on hibernating them?

#137 Offline Serafine - Posted August 14 2017 - 12:36 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'm probably gonna hibernate them around October/November at room temperature (by just turning off the heat cable). They're mediterranian/north african ants and as such only need a short hibernation (about 3 months at around 15-18°C), I've also read that hibernation isn't a necessity for them. Last year I didn't hibernate them but they showed little to no activity or growth from December to March anyway.

Their light hibernation is actually a good trait for antkeeping as hibernation is always a very critical period and since these ants don't really hibernate (they are still mobile although they move quite slowly) the risk of any of them dying from mold, dehydration or starvation is minimal.

Edited by Serafine, August 14 2017 - 1:12 PM.

#138 Offline Serafine - Posted August 16 2017 - 4:43 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
The Lazy Horde now eats through 2 bee pupae in a night and even shows some interest in superworms. Honey however is not their thing.
Ghi8gEc.jpg

The larvae are growing well, there's a lot of big ones now and more pupae.
hdxemZ8.jpg

89p6vpc.jpg

Jz7fWLV.jpg

There are two garbage piles, one right next to the pupa pile and another one next to the bottom right corner of the nest (which means I'm not gonna water that corner anymore). Let's hope they toss out the garbage at some point and don't make a mess like they did in the test tube.
pBllCca.jpg

The water tube is busy as well with a lot of new eggs and small larvae. Their development speed picked up significantly since they are heated around the clock.
go4zLah.jpg

Edited by Serafine, August 16 2017 - 4:49 PM.

• VoidElecent and Antking117 like this

#139 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:42 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

When will live feeding happen xD ?

#140 Offline Serafine - Posted August 20 2017 - 5:10 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
I have a feeling that there's more of them than last time I looked into the nest...

Seems like the central chamber has become the main brood hub. Look at all those batches of minilarvae held by the workers.

Most of the pupae is still in the top chambers but there's also quite a few of them scattered around in the upper half of the nest. They're not really sorting them that much anymore.

In the water tube there's brood of all stages. I think they bring the brood into the water tube to feed them water and then carry them back to the warmer parts of the nest.

Close-up of a major.

When will live feeding happen xD ?

Well... the last time I tried feeding them a half-dead spider didn't go too well. I could try to feed them live mealworms or fruitflies but they don't like either of those. Also as long as they're growing that well I don't see a need to feed live food anyway.
And then there's the problem that even if I'd manage to feed them live food I couldn't record it on video anyway because these ants are real night owls. During days it's like they're not there at all. So... probably at some point next year, after hibernation.

Edited by Serafine, August 20 2017 - 5:16 PM.

• ant007 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus barbaricus, lazy tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users