• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Welcome to Lazy Tube - Serafine's Camponotus barbaricus

camponotus camponotus barbaricus lazy tube

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Antking117 - Posted July 13 2017 - 8:51 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Looks like they are getting bigger MUAHAHAHA

#102 Offline Serafine - Posted July 18 2017 - 4:45 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Well, they finally did it. Straw overflow.

0rguwPo.jpg

W1vz8Yp.jpg
  • Nathant2131 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#103 Offline Hikari - Posted July 19 2017 - 12:42 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

How do they even get in and out with the straw packed like that? lol

#104 Offline Serafine - Posted July 19 2017 - 7:19 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
There's still some space above the cocoons and they can squeeze through tiny gaps pretty well.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#105 Offline Hikari - Posted July 19 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

That's good. They have enough sense not to block themselves in/out completely.

#106 Offline Antking117 - Posted July 20 2017 - 8:04 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

I hope they move soon :)

#107 Offline Serafine - Posted July 21 2017 - 1:27 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
I expect them to move after the next big wave of workers eclosing which should start any time soon now (so if they're moving they're probably gonna do it in about 3-4 weeks). The workers don't have to sit on top of each others yet but it's definitely getting crowded.

Edited by Serafine, July 21 2017 - 1:28 AM.

#108 Offline Serafine - Posted July 23 2017 - 3:02 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
They must have been really hungry, yesterday there were three ants foraging.
bdVJrQx.jpg

I upgraded their food supply but it's gonna take a while until I can collect the harvest. The reason for this is that most feeder insects you can buy at pet stores are in such a terrible condition (undernourished, dehydrated) that most of the time the ants will outright refuse to eat them.

Here's the Locarium featuring some locust nymphs. They are really nice - they don't chirp, don't try to eat each other and they like potatoes. The only issue with them is that they crap all over their setup. It's gonna require some serious cleaning before I can use it again after they got out.
2SspRtM.jpg

gFR8Vhc.jpg

73if8gc.jpg

And here's the Zophobarium containing superworms. I'm gonna buy a toolbox because you have to separate them and put them into a dry environment for them to turn into beetles otherwise they will just stay larvae forever, but for now it's fine.
pBwJjSz.jpg

For Lazy Tube, it looks like there are now so many cocoons that they have to pile them up in the back chamber. And that pupae hull garbage depot starts to become really large. They aren't showing any signs of preparations for a move to a new place yet but I guess when they decide to it will be quite a swift and quick night operation.
v603rm7.jpg

LMuhK9h.jpg

gHWZKa0.jpg

uY2SAyp.jpg

brceWtr.jpg

Edited by Serafine, July 23 2017 - 3:03 AM.

• Karma likes this

#109 Offline Antking117 - Posted July 23 2017 - 3:10 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Very cool :) Pray for major in the huge one :)

• Karma likes this

#110 Offline Serafine - Posted July 28 2017 - 5:16 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, I just removed the cover of the tube and my first though was "HOLY CRAP! That's a lot of ants!"
ZV1coAp.jpg

vqRbVck.jpg

And there's some seriously big-headed girls among them. Yes, they have majors (smaller ones though, they can still grow a good bit bigger). I counted three ants with large heads, not sure if they're all majors though (one might be a media, couldn't get a good picture of her).
rZtjsVR.jpg

I tried to feed them some various stuff over the last week like apple bits and a small potato slice - they're not interested in anything that's not bee pupa. Even spiders are hit and miss, half of them they just ignore.

The Superworms are doing fine. They sleep during the morning and afternoon hours and come out at evening (it doesn't need to be dark, they come out when light is on as well) which makes maintenance extremely easy.
Contrary to what people told me they're not eating each other, they like apples though - I've actually read this up and they mostly cannibalize on each other when they lack water, as long as you provide them with enough juicy vegetables, fruit or water gel it's unlikely to happen.
I can't recommend the water gel though as these guys dig a lot and will make any dish sink into the oat flakes after a while where the water gel actually makes the oat flakes wet and mushy (= not good). Apple slices work much better as they can't fall off the dish.
8c44JLY.jpg

I separated nine of them into a small tool box (one superworm per chamber) and three are definitely preparing to pupate, not sure about the others (can't see them when they're lying under the oat flakes).
7mc1PG6.jpg

The Locusts on the other hand... they're dead. I froze what was left of them. If you ever think of breeding locusts as ant food or even just gutloading them, forget it.
They smell (not strong but pretty unpleasant nonetheless), half of them dies anyway - either they just die or they fail to get rid of their old skin and die in the process, which means you have to get the dead bodies out without having the others escape - and they crap all over their entire setup (even on the ceiling). I had to completely clean out the glass container and wash out all the substrate as well.

The good news is that means it's ready for this nice lady and her (hopefully) many children when they need it.
paOjO8m.jpg

jFSv1yh.jpg

Edited by Serafine, July 29 2017 - 11:07 AM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#111 Offline Antking117 - Posted July 29 2017 - 8:02 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Very cool, all of my super worms co cannibalistic, i shall try what you are doing. I SEE THE MAJOR! Very cool journal :)

#112 Offline Serafine - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:49 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Those Superworms are idiots. They managed to lift apple slices off the dish by crawling under them, as a result the oatmeal flakes became wet, mushy and started to smell.
Now I relocated all of them to a new box and give it a try with a more advanced "hydration system". Maybe this works better.
uiq7mqc.jpg

a1ivcyE.jpg

Huge foraging party of three ants outside today:
MovRpCX.jpg

A few days ago all the ants started congregating at the front end of the tube. This might be caused by the insane humidity (it's been warm and raining for the last days, humidity is above 70%) but it somehow looks like they're up to something. There seems to be a drag towards the front end of the tube, so maybe they are preparing for a move. They also have entrance security now, one of the majors usually does it.
75PkYwr.jpg

Ls2MXPV.jpg

Edited by Serafine, August 3 2017 - 4:07 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#113 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 3 2017 - 8:03 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Very cool, i wanna see them in the new formicarium you setup, how is the other outworld going?

#114 Offline Serafine - Posted August 4 2017 - 4:16 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Today the colony has burst into acitivity. There was a steady stream of workers consuming both sugar water and food with 4-5 ants out at almost all times. Additionally, over the course of the day they removed everything that was in the tube entrance area - spider roadblocks, pebbles, they even tore down the sand wall.
wKln00z.jpg

3dnfiQd.jpg

DDzGQt0.jpg

Inside the tube they have moved up even closer to the exit, the eggs are now in the cotton ball. I think they are ready to leave.
PKqbgde.jpg

8IrQIEP.jpg

The smaller glass outworld was cleansed from all the dirt the Locusts had left and then given to this lady (she already has a bunch of pupae but they're all naked). If I'm gonna add another arena to the Lazy Tube setup I'll order a larger one becaue this thing is ridiculously tiny.
O3an8hd.jpg

DQt9wGP.jpg

Edited by Serafine, August 4 2017 - 4:22 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#115 Offline Serafine - Posted August 7 2017 - 1:32 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Well... over the last few days the colony's outworld activity has exploded. They have eaten one of the bee pupae down to the exoskeleton but don't seem to be interested in the superworms (maybe they'll like the adult beetles more). This is what it usually looks like as soon as it gets shady or dark.
6MG24QL.jpg

8gCwifM.jpg

However... they're not moving. At least not for now. It was probably the insane humidity that drove them towards the front end - since it got less humid (down to 50%) at least a part of them moved a bit back deeper into the tube again.
KFp1RwP.jpg

DQYUK0a.jpg

The queen is still up front, always accompanied by at least one major. Larvae and pupae are pretty much mingled together with some of the eggs, the larger egg piles though are kept separated more at the back end.
mE6Dr4M.jpg

The Superworm farm is doing great, with the new "cup hydration system" and cucumbers instead of apples stuff doesn't get wet and smelly anymore. In the pupating station the first superworms are slowly developing into darkling beetles (they are surprisingly big).
Sorry for the blurry pictures, it wasn't visible on the cam screen and I didn't want to disturb them again.
STJSRSZ.jpg

ckALjC9.jpg

The Lasius queen is doing great as well, she has a bunch of larger brood (I think they're naked pupae but not sure) and a few smaller coming. She didn't seem to have laid any more eggs after the initial pile and is probably waiting for her first browncoats to arrive.
p2a7qNp.jpg

Edited by Serafine, August 7 2017 - 6:40 AM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#116 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 7 2017 - 2:40 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Very cool, oddly my tetramorium diddn't like my superworms which was weird.

#117 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 8 2017 - 1:17 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

For Lazy tube's outworld -  Which one on Antstore is it?

#118 Offline Serafine - Posted August 8 2017 - 2:27 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
"The young must move out of their cramped tube and see the world! Travel to new places! Make new experiences and get some education!"
That might have been what my ants must have thought. Or the humidity levels were just bad. But the first one makes a much better story.

Anyway, over the last days I've recognized a bunch of ants outside the tube doing nothing. They just stood there, waiting for... something.
dtTXF6D.jpg

Then, this morning they started doing this.
8QfoUA0.jpg

They established a forward base in front of the entrance where they piled up most of the brood (larvae and pupae). The eggs and the queens are still inside the tube.
53zDq3w.jpg

oT9rqaZ.jpg

Since they started to run low on food (they became quite hungry lately) I gave them two new bee pupae and a dead spider. The bee pupae didn't cause any reaction but the spider was encountered by two workers - one ran away instantly and caused a slight panic outbreak at the forward base (which lead to half of the brood pile getting transported back into the tube), the other one ferociously attacked the dead spider, dragged it away from the brood pile and "defeated" it with help from another minor and one of the medias.
Here you can see them tearing apart their prey.
APKK1XO.jpg

This last picture is a close-up taken about ten minutes after I dropped the new food into the outworld so it's only about half of the actually brood. Aren't they beautiful?
7wy4Xmu.jpg

I just checked, they already brought the rest back out again.
And no, they're not moving. At least not yet. It's probably just the high humidity that caused this.
However I've turned on the heating cable attached to the SimAnts nest and with a bit of luck they may find it and actually move in.

Edited by Serafine, August 8 2017 - 2:29 PM.

• Nathant2131 and lucas3431 like this

#119 Offline Serafine - Posted August 10 2017 - 1:19 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Disaster struck!
Lazy Tube... is no more.
nR01wrJ.jpg

It must have happened yesterday at about 9am, although it probably started a few days ago and was most likely the reason they decided to dump the brood into the outworld. My guess is that when the water chamber reached a certain point the cotton collapsed and the water leaked into the tube. Unfortunately JUST when I noticed it I had to go because we were about the start a 2 day trip to Neuschwanstein.
IMlBXdZ.jpg

ff3H4on.jpg

However I still managed to catch one of the workers carrying brood to safety.
9P0BnXV.jpg

5v7SLBC.jpg

Just a few tiny steps more...
VNXogNb.jpg

There we go! Brood saved!
SGC9cxY.jpg

dApxhfb.jpg

When I came back, they had already become familiar with their new home.
l9tEwQ2.jpg

FgvO98L.jpg

The water tube was quite busy.
bFC7rn3.jpg

Here's queen Barbarianna sitting on her pile of brood like Smaug the Golden on his treasure.
tgbDvsa.jpg

One issue I've noticed with the SimAnts Nest is that you have to be veeery careful when lifting the lid to not cause immediate panic (I guess that's exactly the same with similar nest designs like the AC hybrids). More often than not the ants are already quite agitated when I'm trying to watch them. I guess they'll get used to it.

Now that I've turned on the heating cable all of them moved to the upper part of the nest - even the water tube is empty. I'm curious if this constant heat spot will speed up their development and how they are going to arrange the brood inside the nest.
Well, I guess we'll soon find out in another episode of Lazy... Tube? Nest? Cave? Hm... I guess I'll just stick with the tube, even though they're not really in a tube anymore (also, technically they still have one attached to their new home, so there's that)...

Edited by Serafine, August 11 2017 - 10:29 AM.

• Nathant2131, lucas3431 and Mariaface like this

#120 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 10 2017 - 7:35 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Oh man that scared me xD thought they were all dead! How convenient for them to have another nest ready to move into :P :) That queen has an odd butt xD

• Kevin likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus barbaricus, lazy tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users