• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Item requests and submissions.

help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 7 2016 - 6:14 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

As i'm working on new products, i would like to hear from the rest of the hobbyist on items or products they would like to see for the next coming season.

Products on the work bench.

117 Nest Inserts - Updated hydration system. And additional grout nest insert.

Aardvark - Interchangeable aspirator designed to fit most size jars and containers. Features a swappable suction system. Can be either manually used with tube and mouth, or take that off and attach the battery powered, dual turbine fan for easier use.

Outworlds - Updated theme styles, connectors, and vent gadgets.

Founding Nests - Small nests designed to fit on the end of a test tube. This will allow you to use the entire test tube as the water reservoir.

Interposers - Connectors designed to offer more then the average circular connection. Allows 3+ connections to a nest or outworld from one single entrance point. Customers can purchase this item alone for their own DIY setup.

Supplies - More supplies will be offered such as higher end utensils, as well as various size tubing and containers.

Youtube - Working on making better videos....with someone talking =D

What i'm hoping to hear from this is your guys crazy ideas. I want ideas, and items you think would help you out some way in the hobby. I want to offer more then just formicariums, so any input is appreciated and will be returned. No idea is too crazy, and anything can be achieved if we just try. 

Edited by Loops117, December 7 2016 - 6:18 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 7 2016 - 6:32 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

As i'm working on new products, i would like to hear from the rest of the hobbyist on items or products they would like to see for the next coming season.

Aardvark - Interchangeable aspirator designed to fit most size jars and containers. Features a swappable suction system. Can be either manually used with tube and mouth, or take that off and attach the battery powered, dual turbine fan for easier use.

Founding Nests - Small nests designed to fit on the end of a test tube. This will allow you to use the entire test tube as the water reservoir.

Interposers - Connectors designed to offer more then the average circular connection. Allows 3+ connections to a nest or outworld from one single entrance point. Customers can purchase this item alone for their own DIY setup.

Supplies - More supplies will be offered such as higher end utensils, as well as various size tubing and containers.

What i'm hoping to hear from this is your guys crazy ideas. I want ideas, and items you think would help you out some way in the hobby. I want to offer more then just formicariums, so any input is appreciated and will be returned. No idea is too crazy, and anything can be achieved if we just try.

I was wondering if u could make like nests for genuses like AC but way better
  • Nathant2131 likes this

YJK

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 7 2016 - 6:45 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Founding Nests - Small nests designed to fit on the end of a test tube. This will allow you to use the entire test tube as the water reservoir.

What i'm hoping to hear from this is your guys crazy ideas. I want ideas, and items you think would help you out some way in the hobby. I want to offer more then just formicariums, so any input is appreciated and will be returned. No idea is too crazy, and anything can be achieved if we just try.

I was wondering if u could make like nests for genuses like AC but way better

That is what the inserts will be of. I changed the name of the 117 Nest to 117 Callow Nest because it's the small version. I will eventually offer the 117 nest in two larger sizes with the same kind of inserts for various species. 117 Minor Nest and 117 Major Nest. These will be the first products offered as an all in one and have the outworld attached to the nest.

#4 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 7 2016 - 12:11 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Gigantic watering jugs that don't need to be refilled for months

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 7 2016 - 12:14 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Hah, that would be cool. Perhaps i can achieve that. But it would be heavily dependent on the type of outworld it attached to. Unless i did some kind of inline hydrator.

#6 Offline Californian Anter - Posted December 14 2016 - 8:02 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Some kind of outworld with an overhanging lip and lid that doesn't break the bank.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 15 2016 - 9:25 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I'm actually working on new outworld types at the moment. The problem i have is my cutting technique since i don't have a laser cutter.. It's not the cleanest, and i use inlays to hide the rough cuts. Similar to ICE's outworld and the vents. In time, i'll have some great outworlds to offer.

Thank you for your input.

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted December 16 2016 - 9:43 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Of your list the thing I would want most is better youtube videos. I think there needs to be more diversity on well made interesting ant related videos. 

#9 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 16 2016 - 10:54 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

That is next on my list. The only issue is that i have uploaded most of my good footage and won't be able to record more until next season. I'm still new to video editing as well, so that'll be some fun.

#10 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 16 2016 - 5:56 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I was thinking maybe ultra-small nests for ants like Solenopsis Molesta and Plagiolepis Alluaudi

I hope that helps! :D

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#11 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 31 2017 - 3:50 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

You should make a nest called the "Satellite Nest" where it is a single, small unit that can be connected to others of the same kind to expand nesting space via magnets. That way, if someone's colony is outgrowing the current nest, they can just buy some add-ons and connect it to the current one.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users