• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation Question

question hibernation help general ants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 30 2016 - 4:47 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
Today, it got below freezing. That's 30 degrees. My ants are in my garage, and my garage is only a few degrees above the outside temperature. All the ants are native, so they would hibernate like this in the wild. But should I keep them out there, even in deep winter when it gets to about 20 degrees? Or should I move them to a bit warmer place?
I checked on them, they all seem fine. It's December and January I'm worried about.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 30 2016 - 8:32 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I would leave them but try wrapping them in some sort of insulation like old blankets or bubble wrap. Although they are from your area, they are adapted to hibernation in some sort of medium, like dirt or wood (sorry I don't know what species you have :D), that would insulate them from the extreme temperatures. You would be amazed how well soil acts as an insulator in the ecosystem.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted November 30 2016 - 12:33 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Hey Anthony, Like you i live in Wisconsin. I have my C pennsylvanicus queen in the garage. She is in a styrofoam like wrap right now which I am hoping will protect her from potential frost.. What species is yours? Also when did you put them out? I am hoping you put them out a few weeks ago so they could slowly enter into hibernation as the temp slowly drops. However if you took them from room temperature and then put them in those kind of temperatures... don't count on them being alive when you take them back out.

I have done a lot of temperature testing with ants, and you cannot put ants from room temp to anything below 30 degrees. They will die!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 30 2016 - 12:41 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
A few colonies since October, others since the beginning of November. Would it be a good idea by putting dirt or sand in for them? I have C. pennsylvanicus, Tetramorium, Crematogaster Cerasi, Formica Pallidefulva, I also have a few un ID'd ants, and some Lasius Neoniger. So I pretty much have just about every ant there is around here lol except for a few.

I think that they'd be ok?

#5 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 30 2016 - 1:42 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

If you don't want dirt in with them I wouldn't put it in. I was just using it as an example of how they make it through the winter in their natural environments during cold snaps. Anything you can wrap around them that creates "dead" space will insulate them. Blanket, foam, old clothes, bubble wrap.... just a few ideas.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 30 2016 - 3:05 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
Ok, I put sand in every one of the tubes, and I put some bubble wrap over them also. Should this work??

#7 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 30 2016 - 3:07 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
https://imgur.com/gallery/TxDVuHere's a picture of it.

#8 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 30 2016 - 8:07 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

ideally you could fill the box with bubble wrap with then ants in the center. What you want to create are spaces where there is trapped pockets of air. Honestly if you carefully stack your test tubes in a pyramid, and then wrapped them as many times and your bubble wrap will go, you should be fine. Do not over think the cold to much. To you it may seem very cold but as long as you keep them above freezing they will probably be ok. I can't imagine your garage drops that low :D.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 1 2016 - 4:35 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
My concern is if someone leaves the garage open or something, that could let the super cold air in. And it's already below freezing, it's REALLY cold here.

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted December 1 2016 - 6:28 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

My concern is if someone leaves the garage open or something, that could let the super cold air in. And it's already below freezing, it's REALLY cold here.

The small garage door on the side for people, not vehicles. The door isn't even on so cold wind is blowing in, and my C pennsylvanicus are just fine. Also we live in the same state correct? Wisconsin?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, hibernation, help, general, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users