• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cross-breeding hybrids

ants camponotus tetramorium question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 27 2016 - 6:32 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
Anyone have tips on cross-breeding two species? I plan to try this summer. Thanks!

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline Salmon - Posted November 27 2016 - 6:35 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
It's difficult enough to breed members of the same species due to the very specific time frame and conditions in which mating takes place. Let alone two different species that have different flight periods.

#3 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 27 2016 - 7:57 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Don't count on it. I wouldn't even try, as one would gobble up the other in almost all cases.

I think it may be possible, if you are willing to go insane. If you were to cross-breed very similar species(same family, similar body structure), you would need to get the timing right, and it would usually turn out bigger kills smaller. Still, try, I would like to see some experiments.

:>

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 27 2016 - 8:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I wouldn't even try, as one would gobble up the other in almost all cases.

I don't think I've ever seen ants gobble before. That would be fascinating.

If you were to cross-breed very similar species(same family, similar body structure)...

They would definitely need to be from the Formicidae family. The same genus, also.
  • ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted November 27 2016 - 9:26 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

In the lab, with the right equipment, and right species, hypothetically yes. Forced/induced reproduction would likely be the ticket. The rest of us. Doubtful.

Edited by fortysixandtwo, November 27 2016 - 9:27 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 28 2016 - 3:14 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Thankfully this is one group of organisms where hybridization is virtually impossible for the home hobbyist.

Edited by gcsnelling, November 28 2016 - 3:15 AM.

• ctantkeeper and Batspiderfish like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, camponotus, tetramorium, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users