• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rule #8 reminder

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 27 2016 - 3:04 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Based on what is happening recently, I think that we need a reminder for forum rule #8. Buying, selling, or trading queen ants is not illegal in most places, including the US, however, what is illegal a lot of times, is shipping or transporting them. Here in the US it is illegal to ship or transport queen ants across state borders. The scientific community also strongly discourages this because of the harm that can be done to the local ecosystem. Because of this, making arrangements to buy, sell, or trade nonnative queen ants is not allowed anywhere on Formiculture.com.

I say that we need to remind people of this because the illegal shipment of ants is getting awfully common here. If you want to buy or sell ants that will involve illegally transporting them, settle it via private messages or private chat. Also, remember that Canadians cannot transport ants out of Canada and Americans cannot transport ants across state lines
  • gcsnelling, ctantkeeper, AntsTexas and 4 others like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline Enderz - Posted November 27 2016 - 3:31 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Canadian anter is right about this. We don't want to hear you people whine about being scammed while doing ILLEGAL dealings.

• AntsTexas and Canadian anter like this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 27 2016 - 4:12 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Canadian anter is right about this. We don't want to hear you people whine about being scammed while doing ILLEGAL dealings.

*cough*Alabama anter*cough*
  • ctantkeeper likes this

#4 Offline Enderz - Posted November 27 2016 - 4:27 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

haha yea :D

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 27 2016 - 5:21 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Yes I totally wasn't the one trying to get sone Atta from JPS :) And yes I have shipped across state lines. Do I whine? I have never

Edited by Alabama Anter, November 27 2016 - 5:22 PM.

YJK

#6 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 27 2016 - 5:37 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Based on what is happening recently, I think that we need a reminder for forum rule #8. Buying, selling, or trading queen ants is not illegal in most places, including the US, however, what is illegal a lot of times, is shipping or transporting them. Here in the US it is illegal to ship or transport queen ants across state borders. The scientific community also strongly discourages this because of the harm that can be done to the local ecosystem. Because of this, making arrangements to buy, sell, or trade nonnative queen ants is not allowed anywhere on Formiculture.com.

I say that we need to remind people of this because the illegal shipment of ants is getting awfully common here. If you want to buy or sell ants that will involve illegally transporting them, settle it via private messages or private chat. Also, remember that Canadians cannot transport ants out of Canada and Americans cannot transport ants across state lines

I knew it! You're not from Canada, as you said "here in the US". Therefore, you are in the USA.

Anyway, I do agree though. I don't like the idea of shipping over state borders.

:>

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 27 2016 - 5:59 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
drew wrote that. I just used copy pasta

#8 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 27 2016 - 6:01 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

How does copy pasta taste like?

But seriously, just because you copy and paste, doesn't mean you don't mean what you posted. everyone should listen though.

• AntsTexas likes this

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 27 2016 - 8:55 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

none of it was done on formiculture.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#10 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 27 2016 - 8:58 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Still should be avoided in general, though.

#11 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 27 2016 - 9:03 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Still should be avoided in general, though.
I agree.

But, take a look at the law. You cannot ship states across state lines if they will affect the plants (not exact words of the law) in other words, a handful of species probably shouldn't be shipped anywhere as its against the law, some including Pogonomyrmex and Acromyrmex. But, Tetramorium probably wouldn't be illegal in the US as it is already native and wouldn't affect the plants.

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 27 2016 - 9:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
We don't know what effect, if any, ants like Tetramorium have on plants or plant products, because most ants aren't studied outside their native or introduced habitat. For example, ants could carry a virus that is spread to plants, or they could protect a sap-sucking insect whose populations may otherwise be kept in check, if it were not for the ants. The effect needn't be direct; it may also be indirect, which leaves much to interpretation. That is why all ants fall under the umbrella of prohibition at the USDA.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 27 2016 - 9:20 PM.

• Reacker, gcsnelling and CallMeCraven like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 27 2016 - 9:22 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

We don't know what effect, if any, ants like Tetramorium have on plants or plant products, because most ants aren't studied outside their native or introduced habitat. For example, ants could carry a virus that is spread to plants, or they could protect a sap-sucking insect whose populations may otherwise be kept in check, if it were not for the ants. The effect needn't be direct; it may also be indirect, which leaves much to interpretation. That is why all ants fall under the umbrella of prohibition at the USDA.

I guess you are right, I just don't think there's a big harm in delivering ants there if they are already native. Sure, maybe a virus, but there are probably virus's over there too. Anyway, now I actually realize why USDA is so strict about this :)

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 28 2016 - 5:32 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Also food for thought I think shipping through States is a little ridiculous because if an antkeeper from Rhode Island wanted to ship ants out of his state compared to an antkeeper in Alaska or California would be totally unfair. I ship and receive ants after researching on the area. I usually know what species there r and how much harm it can do to the "original" environment. In my case, almost any "new" species that gets out will die immediately due to Solenopsis invicta, Linpethuma, Brachymyrmex, and other invasives. So this is my case and thanks for your time! Cheers

YJK

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 28 2016 - 5:55 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Also food for thought I think shipping through States is a little ridiculous because if an antkeeper from Rhode Island wanted to ship ants out of his state compared to an antkeeper in Alaska or California would be totally unfair. I ship and receive ants after researching on the area. I usually know what species there r and how much harm it can do to the "original" environment. In my case, almost any "new" species that gets out will die immediately due to Solenopsis invicta, Linpethuma, Brachymyrmex, and other invasives. So this is my case and thanks for your time! Cheers

There isn't really anything about that statement which inspires confidence or justification to what you are doing (if you are shipping ants across borders). It is more like defiance to every ant expert telling you why this is a bad idea. These are rationalizations with zero evidence to support them.

Edited by Batspiderfish, November 28 2016 - 5:56 AM.

• gcsnelling, LC3 and T.C. like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#16 Offline Serafine - Posted November 28 2016 - 6:03 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Anyway, now I actually realize why USDA is so strict about this :)

And yet in half the country RIFA is so dominant that it almost wiped out any other ant species (and just wait until the Argentine ants get a foothold in the US which will inevitably happen at some point). So in the end even these regulation did little to preserve the environment - if invasive ants go on global conquest they are an unstoppable force of nature (you could also say they're a creeping natural disaster), regulations or not. In the end we can stop invasive ants as much as we can stop a Tsunami.

Edit: Forgot what I said about Argentine supercolonies there's already a 900km long one in California, slowly creeping land-inwards.

Edited by Serafine, November 28 2016 - 4:43 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#17 Offline Reacker - Posted November 28 2016 - 10:13 AM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Actually we can effectively stop tsunamis from causing damages to most areas with the right preparations. Japan is perhaps the most prominent example of this because in many areas they have built up large sea walls which do effectively stop tsunamis of the sizes they are designed to handle; but even in NJ during hurricane Sandy there was one really memorable instance where a town was saved by a wall so small that 120 years after it was built it had been completely buried and forgotten yet still did its job. 

http://www.livescien...pped-sandy.html

You keep making false analogies and false comparisons to justify your twisted logic that you use to rationalize your stupidity. It's quite clear to anyone with an ounce of sense that you are woefully ignorant on the subjects you're trying to talk about. Please do yourself a favor and pick up a book, read some articles, or at the very least take the 30 seconds needed to Google things before talking about them authoritatively. 

• gcsnelling, drtrmiller, LC3 and 2 others like this

#18 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 28 2016 - 10:39 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

There isn't really anything about that statement which inspires confidence or justification to what you are doing (if you are shipping ants across borders). It is more like defiance to every ant expert telling you why this is a bad idea. These are rationalizations with zero evidence to support them.
If you could read it States that my evidence is

In my case, almost any "new" species that gets out will die immediately due to Solenopsis invicta, Linpethuma, Brachymyrmex, and other invasives.

YJK

#19 Offline T.C. - Posted November 28 2016 - 10:57 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

In my case, almost any "new" species that gets out will die immediately due to Solenopsis invicta, Linpethuma, Brachymyrmex, and other invasives.

The chance that a new species will survive if it where ever released in a new state and a totally new climate isn't a huge chance. However it is possible as several ant species have proved. Have you ever watched any of the ant documentaries? If you have not, you should. They discuss how a lot of different ant species in the past had traveled half way around the world hidden in ships and when they got to another country, they adapted and thrived in the new climate. So In conclusion,  It is very possible for a new species to be introduced and survive in a new area and climate.

Edited by T.C., November 28 2016 - 10:58 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#20 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 28 2016 - 11:12 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It states that your evidence is what? Where is the research?

• gcsnelling likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users