• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I am in so much trouble!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 14 2014 - 2:56 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

I had an entire colony of a tiny crematogaster ants waiting for a home. They were in a tub where I was picking out the wood left over from the collection process. I thought it was secure . . I was wrong! When my wife finds out that we have a couple of hundred ants on the loose she is going to lose her [censored]. :-(. At around 1.5 mm they are really really small. I may just have to nuke the house with a bug bomb. Or fire. Fire would work.

Edited by dspdrew, October 31 2016 - 12:21 AM.
Removed profanity

#2 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 14 2014 - 4:51 PM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Aren't they a damp loving ant? They will surely perish in your home.
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted July 14 2014 - 5:37 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Crematogaster in general like an average amount of moisture. Most aboreal Crematogaster can handle it quite dry.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 14 2014 - 5:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:punishment: :hang:

How did they get out of the tube? Was there cotton in the end of it? I can bet you will probably never see them again. I wouldn't do anything unless they become a problem, and if they do, say they weren't yours haha. O:)

#5 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 14 2014 - 7:00 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I had them in a tupperware style container. They simply crawled out from under the lid. It wasnt untill it dried out a bit in there though. I confessed to the boss. I get to continue living at home.

They were on my computer table. . I hope they didn't set up shop in my screen or speakers!

#6 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted July 14 2014 - 7:12 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

If you find they've moved in, try a liquid based ant poison. Works great for sweet-loving ants, and even controls the Monomorium pharaonis that plagues my household. (Of course, they always end up coming back several months later if I don't bait)

Edited by 123Lord Of Ants123, July 14 2014 - 7:12 PM.

#7 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 14 2014 - 7:31 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Thanks. I might put some of that out anyway. We always get smashed by wild ochetellus glaber who come after my empty bourbon and cola cans.

#8 Offline Chromerust - Posted July 18 2014 - 9:40 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Terro is the best. You can get it at the big home improvement stores

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users