• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Post pictures of your ant areas.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 14 2014 - 8:05 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
We all see people ant farms, nests, setups. Let's see how you organize all of your ants in the home. ;) I will share my setup as soon as I get on the computer later as I cannot upload with my mobile browser.
  • ParaStatic likes this
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 14 2014 - 10:19 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

PhotoJul1411419PM.jpg

The green foam test tube holder hold all my Tetramorium sp. E queens. The iPhone4 box holds my Camponotus pennsylvanicus and Camponotus novaeboracensis where they are nice and dark. My blue foam test tube holder holds my Formica subsericea, Prenolepis imparis, Camponotus nearcticus, and Myrmica sp. For some reason my C. nearcticus didn't like the box so I let her stay in the foam with my other colonies.

In the left side you can see my Ytong formicarium, hand made. I have more test tubes, syringes, and pipettes in the plastic baggy.

At the back is my beautiful Hermit Crab, her name is Hermes (pronounced the french way). She's fancy and likes brand name clothes.

#3 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 14 2014 - 10:26 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Very good setup Mercutia, I attempted to use the uploader here but I think there is a limit to files on here so I'll have to use another source.
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#4 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 14 2014 - 10:41 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
In the mobile version I do not see options for hot linking so here is a URL http://imgur.com/3quVxgq On the top in the 10 gallon tank is my Camponotus noveboracensis, to the right of it is my Tetramorium sp. Below in the small containers is few more Camponotus, one of which is a herculeanus. Bottom is reserved for supplies, as well as a area on my computer desk holding tubes/cotton ball and an assortment of special drill bits.

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 14 2014 - 10:46 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I saw this on FB! Dayummm that's a big outworld.

Oh btw, I was recently corrected on this spelling too. It's C. novaeborencis according to DoctorAnt. Google is stupid and keeps correcting it wrong.

#6 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 14 2014 - 10:59 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Thanks for the correction! Yes it is a large outworld, I tend it to be my 'feature' colony when people ask about my pets. However I plugged the nest they are in as I am heading to Duluth, MN tomorrow and hope to find a ceramic or pottery store that sells fire bricks to use instead.

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 14 2014 - 11:08 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I've seen some equestrian stores sell decent sized pumice blocks that are suppose to be used to file horse hooves. I mean... if that's any easier than finding a pottery shop that is...

#8 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 14 2014 - 11:54 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I located some, 4 1/2 X 9 1/2 X 1 1/2 for $4.00 each. I am not sure how many I'll get but getting some tomorrow. :)

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2014 - 3:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

gallery_2_137_47337.jpg

gallery_2_137_102312.jpg

gallery_2_137_33097.jpg

gallery_2_137_63026.jpg

This is where I look at stuff. :)

gallery_2_137_79284.jpg

This is where I build stuff... yeah, that's my coffee table. :)

gallery_2_137_41800.jpg

• sgheaton, CrazyLegs and yazetta like this

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 15 2014 - 3:19 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is beautifully organized and what I am trying to build... I just don't have the space.

#11 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 15 2014 - 3:23 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
That is quite the setup drew! Mancave maximus.

Mercutia, are you still living at home? You seem to have done well confining your stuff to one location.

Very neat setup parastatic. Do you have a building area?

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2014 - 3:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That is beautifully organized and what I am trying to build... I just don't have the space.

My building area starts out organized and ends in a disaster.

#13 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 15 2014 - 3:32 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

yvatagus.jpgthis is where I keep my live colonies that I like to look at. Its a bit messy at the moment, we are all sick and work is hectic so cleaning can go get [censored].

egydyre6.jpgmy work bench where I do most of my fine work. Sitting on my big bassy speaker/seat ;-)

uqasaged.jpgthe table in the centre of my mancave where I store my crap and do major work like sorting colonies from logs and smashing rocks and such I usually have a large 80 litre tub lid that has a paving stone laying in the centre for a moated sorting arena.
I was cleaning after every project but had no motivation, switched to cleaning just BEFORE a project when I am always super motivated.

Edited by dspdrew, July 16 2014 - 2:38 PM.
Censored profanity.

#14 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 15 2014 - 4:16 PM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Yes I do have a build area, I'll post pictures tomorrow!

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2014 - 5:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When I rip apart logs full of ants, I do it in the bathtub after painting a 3 inch thick stripe of talcum powder around the rim. That way nothing can escape.

#16 Offline Mathiacus - Posted July 15 2014 - 5:37 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

!! great idea! but my wife would say no. :(

#17 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 15 2014 - 7:05 PM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Mathiacus I know about that hectic life, got 4 kids here haha. Surprisingly I still have time to ant and construct.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2014 - 8:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Mathiacus I know about that hectic life, got 4 kids here haha. Surprisingly I still have time to ant and construct.

Hopefully you'll never come home and find all your ants and formicariums outside in a trash bag. :P

#19 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 16 2014 - 2:45 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Mercutia, are you still living at home? You seem to have done well confining your stuff to one location.

Yeah. They are taking up my desk in my room since I don't really use it for anything else. Only place my mom would let me keep them. She doesn't realize how many I have xD.

#20 Offline ParaStatic - Posted July 16 2014 - 12:56 PM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Hopefully you'll never come home and find all your ants and formicariums outside in a trash bag. :P

NOPE I will not, my S.O. likes them just as much as I do. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users