• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex Versicolor 2015

acromyrmex acromyrmex versicolor leafcutter ant anting

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2014 - 12:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
It was actually really cool yesterday after the storm went through. Even today it's only 95.

#42 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 4 2014 - 1:02 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

ONLY 95? What is it usually? How much Acromyrmex queens did you get? I am not making it this year...  :(

At least not now, maybe try to go out in a month or so and dig something up if I can, something came up. Can't believe it.

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2014 - 3:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Usually around 105 out there. Dig something up a month from now? You better bring a backhoe.

#44 Offline Crystals - Posted August 5 2014 - 7:51 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

... You better bring a backhoe.

This comment made me laugh.  :D

I have access to 2 backhoes.  Do we need the big cat or will one of the mini's suffice?  I shudder to think of the cost of getting those things to any somewhat remote location, diesel isn't that cheap anymore.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#45 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 6 2014 - 12:46 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

After seeing Acromyrmex versicolor myself, I was not disappointing. Digging up that mature nest gave me a lot of information about the species that the internet weirdly couldn't provide. They are VERY polymorphic. The smallest minors I saw were about one fifth or less of thee size of the largest majors I saw. I was a little disappointed with the size of the queen, expecting larger... Their stridulation was cool, I found it very fascinating.

​ I wish I could keep this species successfully, but sadly, I failed at getting fungus... Though I decided to keep the four queens I caught, probably a bad idea...  :( 

#46 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 6 2014 - 6:38 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hi greg I hope you didn't destroy the founding chambers because I'm planning to come get some foraging queen

#47 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 6 2014 - 6:38 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
As well as andrew traps

#48 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 6 2014 - 12:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I didn't see his traps, and I only dug up a few, there are still plenty where I was, however there was already someone there before me who dug up a lot of them - there were already a bunch of holes where I can imaging founding chambers existed... 

#49 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 6 2014 - 1:16 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I wish people would stop trying to dig them up as me and Andrew stated many times that getting the fungus is impossible plus these queen forage at night so there's no point in digging.

#50 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 6 2014 - 1:26 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How long do they hold onto their fungal pellet? Why are you waiting for them to forage? Do they hold onto the fungus as they forage or something?

#51 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 6 2014 - 3:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think I am going to try bucket traps next year... I was just very unprepared this year.

#52 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 6 2014 - 4:26 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

hi greg, they usually spit out the fungal pellets after they have dig their founding chamber.  The fungal pellets looks like a small brown turd the shape of a dandelion seed.

#53 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 6 2014 - 5:20 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok, say that two queens start a colony together, do they both spit out their fungal pellets? Cause one of the few founding chambers I dug up, yielded two queens.

#54 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:07 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
They are known to be polygamous. .. at least when starting out

#55 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:10 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

But do you think they BOTH spit their fungal pellets out? 

#56 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:15 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
They probably did by now..

#57 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:19 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah... I have seen them accepting sugar water before, do you think there is a way I could sneak in the other nutrients they need until I can get some of their fungus?

#58 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The reason you just get them at night while they forage is because it's a lot easier and less destructive than digging them up.

#59 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:29 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Greg me and andrew had them for more then 3 months without food as long as their kept moist

#60 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 7 2014 - 12:43 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok, this may sound stupid, it may not, I have seen 50-50 answers with this question, but this is the first time I was the one asking- Can one species of leaf cutter survive off/ accept another species of leaf cutter's fungus? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acromyrmex, acromyrmex versicolor, leafcutter ant, anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users