• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex Versicolor 2015

acromyrmex acromyrmex versicolor leafcutter ant anting

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Offline antsinmypants - Posted July 16 2014 - 7:19 AM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA
What does the Acromyrmex trap look like? Do you have an image you could post and some instructions on how to make one?

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2014 - 7:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

098262012862lg.jpg

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2014 - 8:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I will be posting pictures of everything.

#24 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 16 2014 - 1:01 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Hahaha, that Lowe's bucket. Nothing special. xD

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2014 - 2:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I will be modifying it a little bit, but as always, I'll be posting pictures of everything.

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 16 2014 - 5:56 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You guys are so lucky to have such interesting ants in your region.

Remember Acromyrmex is still not as interesting as Atta. I want an Atta Texana sooooo bad. Wonder how to get a permit...

#27 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 17 2014 - 6:00 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

The most interesting ants around here are aphid tender. Our ants are so boring xD. Any species that farms is pretty darn cool in my books.

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 17 2014 - 6:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

These are basically made the same way I made the jars for three of my Pogonomyrmex californicus colonies. The big holes and Hydrostone in the bottom are going to be used for hydrating later when I get them home. The smaller holes in the sides with the steel mesh are to allow the water to drain when it rains. The three holes grouped together on each side of the top are for my fingers when I need to pull them out of the ground. :) These bottoms will slide into the tops that were cut off of them, and will then be duct taped. Since the tops and bottoms are the same diameter at the cut line, the bottom stops about a little over an inch before falling all the way through. This allows the top to hold the bottom in fairly well. The reason for putting the tops back on is because the surface of the dirt is going to be all the way up to the brim of the bottoms, so the ants will need to be contained.

gallery_2_126_383.jpg

gallery_2_126_101352.jpg

gallery_2_126_2795.jpg

#29 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 25 2014 - 11:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think I am just going to try to carefully dissect a founding chamber until I see an orange speck. I don't have the "resources" to go out there and lay traps. 

#30 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 25 2014 - 11:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Gonna resurrect this thread now.

#31 Offline Anhzor - Posted July 26 2014 - 8:19 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I think I am just going to try to carefully dissect a founding chamber until I see an orange speck. I don't have the "resources" to go out there and lay traps. 

that's impossible, trust me.

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2014 - 2:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha well... it is possible, but it would be VERY hard. I guess if you dug up an entire founding chamber and brought it home and laid it all out on something, you might be able to pick through it for hours and hours 'till you find the fungus, but I'm sure by then it would be dead. Maybe you could do it all in a sauna. :hmm:

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 29 2014 - 6:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

50 percent chance of rain forcasted for the Acromyrmex spot Saturday and Sunday. The higher the percentage I notice usually means larger storms covering more area raising the probability.

#34 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 29 2014 - 12:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok then, I am going to try to go a few hours after the storm passes, or should I go the next day?

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 29 2014 - 1:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You would usually want to go the next day. Last year, the Acromyrmex actually flew about a week after the big storm came through, so it's a little hard to guess exactly when they will fly. I know Pheidole flew the evening of the day after the rain.

Edit: They flew the morning after the rain this time, and probably last time too, because it seems they fly, or at least the males fly, every morning for quite a few days after the rain.

#36 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 29 2014 - 2:32 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I want a Pheidole too... They have amazing majors... I might have to try to go two times...

Edit: Speaking about Pheidole, what do those eat?

Edited by Gregory2455, July 29 2014 - 2:34 PM.

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 29 2014 - 6:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pheidole have the coolest colors. They eat the same thing most any ant eats, along with seeds too since they are a harvester.

#38 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 29 2014 - 11:36 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

There is Atta mexicana in Arizona?

http://www.antweb.org/images.do?subfamily=myrmicinae&genus=atta&rank=genus&project=arizonaants

#39 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 2 2014 - 7:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Looks like the Acromyrmex versicolor place is going to get some rain too. Think they are going to fly?

#40 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 2 2014 - 10:40 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

^^ the area where the Acromyrmex was has receive heavy rain last year and did not flew, it wasnt untill late august that they started flying.  I personaly believe they don't start flying untill the temperature is cool enough as well as it has to rain.  This is because even after a huge thunderstorm temperature are still above 100, but it cools down by late august and september.

Edited by Anhzor, August 2 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acromyrmex, acromyrmex versicolor, leafcutter ant, anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users