• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Brisbane Australia

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lessian - Posted November 11 2016 - 1:31 AM

Lessian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

First time ant keeper here requesting genus/species ID on a willdcaught Queen.

My partner found her while out and about with work and delivered her to me in a washed out coke bottle.

She is approx 11-12mm long and was found in pullenvale (south east queensland, west brisbane kinda area).  Apparently she was not far from a nest of small black garden type ants which were nesting alongside a road gutter.

Some people have said she looks like a Lasius, others say she looks like a camponotus.  any suggestions?

Also wondering what is a normal length of time between going in the test tube and laying eggs?  so far our girl has been in her tube for four days and still no sign of eggs yet.  We are keeping her in a warm dark place with the only disturbance is us genty uncovering her to check.

thankyou :-)

Edited by Lessian, November 11 2016 - 1:48 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 11 2016 - 5:17 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Camponotus sp.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Lessian - Posted November 11 2016 - 6:41 AM

Lessian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Camponotus sp.

Any idea what species?

Edited by Lessian, November 11 2016 - 6:41 AM.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted November 11 2016 - 8:09 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Camponotous for sure, maybe,Camponotus pennsylvanicus? I am not sure if they are in your area? Probably! Check out this video!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Online Canadian anter - Posted November 11 2016 - 10:53 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Camponotous for sure, maybe,Camponotus pennsylvanicus? I am not sure if they are in your area? Probably! Check out this video!

TC this is Australia -_-
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted November 11 2016 - 4:38 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

TC this is Australia -_-

Yeah no C. pennsylvanicus in Oz methinks.

Definitely looks like a Camponotus though. 

Here is a key to Australian Camponotus species. I've never actually tried using a key from Ant wiki so I don't know how good it is, but there are a list of many species there that might be helpful.

http://www.antwiki.o...ponotus_species

Edited by fortysixandtwo, November 11 2016 - 4:39 PM.

• T.C. and Lessian like this

#7 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 19 2016 - 5:59 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I'm 99% sure she is a ponerine of some description. She looks identical to queen 2 here:

http://www.formicult...h-october-2016/

James C Trager seemed very sure queen 2 was a ponerine, but you will need to get some clear photos of various parts of the ant to be sure

#8 Offline Nexus - Posted November 19 2016 - 7:36 AM

Nexus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

I see a Camponotus sp. Seeing the dozens of species of this genus  that exist in Australia, it is difficult to identify precisely the species, especially for non australians people.

Or we're gonna need better photos !

• CrazyLegs likes this

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 19 2016 - 7:44 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Camponotus, not Ponerine.

Edited by gcsnelling, November 19 2016 - 7:44 AM.

#10 Offline Kevin - Posted November 19 2016 - 9:08 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Definitely camponotus, by the shape of the head.
  • LC3 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#11 Offline Bcam43 - Posted December 13 2016 - 9:14 PM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Most likely Camponotus aeneopilosus.

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 14 2016 - 5:13 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Too shiny for C. aeneopilosus. Better photographs will be needed to identify to the species level.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#13 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 14 2016 - 8:07 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

yeah, we need better pictures, and it can't be C. aeneopilosus.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#14 Offline Lemon07 - Posted January 8 2017 - 10:13 PM

Lemon07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Hey Lessian I sent u a PM but we must live relatively close to each other if u are collecting ants in pullenvale. it would be awsome to have someone in the hobby who lives nearby to share info etc

Formicarium Colonies:

Aphaenogaster longiceps

Test Tube Colonies:

Camponotus aeneopilosus

Iridomyrmex sp

Opisthopsis rufithorax

#15 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 10 2017 - 11:11 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Raise her up and all will become clear when you see her workers :)

#16 Offline Lessian - Posted January 14 2017 - 12:56 AM

Lessian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

To those who say she is not aeneopilosus, can you explain the reasoning?  Eg what is it that makes her not an aeneo?

#17 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 14 2017 - 5:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

To those who say she is not aeneopilosus, can you explain the reasoning?  Eg what is it that makes her not an aeneo?

Camponotus aeneopilosus has golden hairs all over its gaster. This queen's gaster seems too shiny, with few or no hairs. You don't identify to the species unless you can see it well enough to use a key.

----

#18 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 14 2017 - 9:58 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

I have recently found a very similar queen in a small nest under a brick. She only had five legs but moved around just fine. I collected her, some workers and larvae.

I would confidently call them aeneopilosis.

Camponotus aeneopilosis

The queen doesn't have distinctive golden hairs all over her gaster like the workers, just thin gold bands.

The queen you have there looks a lot fatter though. I can't quite make out any gold at all.

Maybe the gold color disappears the larger the gaster stretches.

5 legged aeneopilosis

Edited by CrazyLegs, January 14 2017 - 10:27 PM.

#19 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 15 2017 - 6:03 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

That is a great lead! However, we are identifying the queen in the pictures above, which we cannot see clearly. We don't identify to the species unless we can follow the details in a key or description. Queensland has a LOT of Camponotus. For now, it is Camponotus sp.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 15 2017 - 6:07 AM.

• CrazyLegs likes this

----

#20 Online Canadian anter - Posted January 15 2017 - 6:18 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
wow. that is the skinniest Camponotus I have ever seen
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic