• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JPSMedeiros's Atta sexdens journal (Updated 01/14/17)

atta leafcutter leaf cutter atta sexdens jpsmedeiros journal brazil brasil rio de janeiro niteroi fungus

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted November 27 2016 - 6:19 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

I talked with some friends from a Brazilian group and they gave me some tips...

Can you kindly link to that local group? I'm interested in reading their discussions.

https://www.facebook...03274293267781/

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#22 Offline T.C. - Posted November 27 2016 - 10:31 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I'm so jealous, be sure to keep this updated in the future. :D

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#23 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 1 2016 - 4:55 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Update 12/01/16

The ants still the same, it's quite cold here for the spring, 16º I'm thinking about heating them. The fungus also seems to be ok, can't tell if it is growing or not but I assume it grows slowly.

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#24 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 1 2016 - 5:03 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Update 12/01/16

The ants still the same, it's quite cold here for the spring, 16º I'm thinking about heating them. The fungus also seems to be ok, can't tell if it is growing or not but I assume it grows slowly.

Well, optimal temperature in Fahrenheit for Leafcutters is 75 degrees, 80 at most. Acromyrmex versicolor can go a bit warmer, but it isn't very healthy for them. 16 Celsius, is far too cold for them. It needs to be 23 Celsius optimal temperature (which according to Google is 75 degrees). It can go up to 26 Celsius and be okay, which is 80 degrees.

The fungus does grow pretty slow until the first workers, but given optimal temperature (and humidity), it grows a lot faster. You're colony is going to end up how my Acromyrmex versicolor were before I fixed it, stagnant (won't grow) and the fungus will start "melting" at that low temperature.

Also, I should add. Atta in general are far more reliant on a stable, constant temperature than Acromyrmex versicolor are. Now, I do not have any experience with Atta myself. But, I've done a TON of research into raising Leafcutters in general. And definitely keeping them that cold, isn't going to end well if they are kept at that temperature for long periods. Even my Acromyrmex don't like it when it drops below 70 degrees (21 Celsius).

Edited by Vendayn, December 1 2016 - 5:38 PM.

• AntsBrazil likes this

#25 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 1 2016 - 7:36 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Update 12/01/16

Well, optimal temperature in Fahrenheit for Leafcutters is 75 degrees, 80 at most. Acromyrmex versicolor can go a bit warmer, but it isn't very healthy for them. 16 Celsius, is far too cold for them. It needs to be 23 Celsius optimal temperature (which according to Google is 75 degrees). It can go up to 26 Celsius and be okay, which is 80 degrees.

The fungus does grow pretty slow until the first workers, but given optimal temperature (and humidity), it grows a lot faster. You're colony is going to end up how my Acromyrmex versicolor were before I fixed it, stagnant (won't grow) and the fungus will start "melting" at that low temperature.

Also, I should add. Atta in general are far more reliant on a stable, constant temperature than Acromyrmex versicolor are. Now, I do not have any experience with Atta myself. But, I've done a TON of research into raising Leafcutters in general. And definitely keeping them that cold, isn't going to end well if they are kept at that temperature for long periods. Even my Acromyrmex don't like it when it drops below 70 degrees (21 Celsius).

Thanks for the reply. I found out that inside my home is like 20°, and it's night here so when the sun comes out the temperature should go a little bit higher, also their are being kept inside a wooden chest so their conditions are more stable(I hope) than outside the chest and even more than outside my home. I don't plan to control their conditions until the first workers. I guess I'll need to buy something to control their humidity level, according to google the humidity in my city right now is 91%, pretty high. 

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#26 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 27 2016 - 1:12 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Update 12-27-16

Happy holidays for everyone.

One of the queens without fungus died.

Now we have 4 queens, one without fungus. As can be seen in the photos the queens have some white stuff on their back, I think that It's probably something bad, maybe another fungus attacking their body. Some other ant keepers from Brazil also had this problem, all my queens have this white thing.

After trying to decide what to do I decided to clean the queens, a friend did that with some queens that he captured in the first nuptial flight and now he has workers and a healthy fungus. 

I cleaned the queens using a cotton swab with water, probably stressed a lot the queens but now they are clean(12/26/16). 

Before writing this post(12/27/16) I checked the queens again and they seem to have again some white stuff, less than before, don't know if this time it's plaster dust,  the one without fungus don't seem to have this white thing(and her setup don't have plaster dust around). 

Now we have only larvae, I hope until 12/10/17 to have workers. 

(This big white think on her back is plaster, the other and smaller thing near her head that is the problem)

15750200_1667892839902906_1145456058_n.j

15781931_1667892213236302_240055609_n.jp

15782164_1667892286569628_1489516077_n.j

15730743_1667892413236282_1483731066_n.j

15749490_1667892543236269_767647559_n.jp

15782253_1667892716569585_1582387263_n.j

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#27 Offline Martialis - Posted December 27 2016 - 2:24 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

My Crematogaster queen had a similar problem.. I just reached into her setup and knocked it off her back. It seemed pretty benign, though.

Spoiler

#28 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 29 2016 - 10:47 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

How are your queens now? Also, I love Atta and Acromyrmex, so I'm definitely following this.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#29 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 29 2016 - 10:57 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I'm checking once a week to don't disturb them too much.

Edited by JPSMedeiros, December 29 2016 - 10:57 AM.

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#30 Offline T.C. - Posted December 30 2016 - 3:08 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I would really like to see pictures, pictures, and more pictures of this species. They are one of my favorite species and i would not only like to read about them, but see pictures of there progress as well. :D

#31 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 31 2016 - 1:05 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Update 12-31-16

Finally! Pupae. Happy new year to everyone. 

mQSQ4lp.png

cgsyqAg.jpg

59QaVrD.jpg

• Salmon, Canadian anter and CrazyLegs like this

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#32 Offline T.C. - Posted December 31 2016 - 1:37 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Congratulations. That is a lot of pupae and eggs there. I wasn't aware this species laid so many eggs all at once, especially when they are trying to found their colony.

#33 Offline Canadian anter - Posted December 31 2016 - 2:15 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

omg Nice! I find it interesting that even the nanitics are polymorphic

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#34 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 31 2016 - 2:40 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I think she can lay a lot of brood because she is huge and have a supply of food, I don't know if she eats it while in this stage but she has it available. Yes I noticed the different sizes of the pupae, probably some "nurses" and some "harvesters". Now that she have pupae probably around 10 days to workers, as I said hopefully 01/10/17 we will have some workers to watch. 

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#35 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 31 2016 - 4:17 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Omg so cool!!! I hope you get a great Colony going

YJK

#36 Offline FSTP - Posted December 31 2016 - 5:33 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I find it especially endearing that she piles her brood in such a neat concise circle.

• LC3 and CrazyLegs like this

#37 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 31 2016 - 8:58 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, Atta do make massive colonies. I imagine your colony is going to grow to an insane size, really fast. I imagine something like Solenopsis invicta speed, maybe even faster just because how big each individual colony gets.

#38 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted January 1 2017 - 4:45 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I'm already planning how I'll move her to the definitive nest. Right now she is in a quite big kitchen container, I'm planning to make for the start 3 glass boxes 15cmx15cmx15cm.

They will have a plaster ground and 2 holes in the sides(or more) so I can connect them and add new "chambers" in the future. In the start they will have the foraging area, the fungus garden area and the trash area. But I don't know how I will move the colony, I could use some help to make some preparations while the fungus is small and there's no workers. 

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#39 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted January 9 2017 - 1:43 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Update 01-09-17

First workers!!! One of the 4 queens have workers now, I could only see 2 of them but probably more coming soon. One of the queens with pupae have some brown pupae that will probably turn into workers this week.

I donated a little bit of fungus to the queen without it, she seems to be doing good, the fungus that I donated is about 3x the size from the start. 

I'll post some photos and 2 videos. The first video a bit longer just showing the workers and the second one so you guys can see the size difference between the queen and the workers. This caste I believe is called the nurses, the smaller ones. 

Also check the noise that the queen makes when threatened, and the noise of her powerful bite in the plastic cup. 

3CyJWJT.jpg

OMZw9y4.jpg

Edited by JPSMedeiros, January 9 2017 - 1:52 PM.

• LC3 and Salmon like this

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#40 Offline NZAntKeeper - Posted January 9 2017 - 1:54 PM

NZAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
Woah congrats! It's always exciting to see the first workers have eclosed.

My Youtube Channel
https://m.youtube.co...R--GtDfJdaJjWpQ

Species I have kept or are keeping
-Nylanderia sp?
-Pheidole sp
-Pachycondyla Castanea (I didn't catch the queen sadly)
-Monomorium Antarcticum
-Iridomyrmex sp
-Ochetellus Glaber

-Amblyopone Australis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atta, leafcutter, leaf cutter, atta sexdens, jpsmedeiros, journal, brazil, brasil, rio de janeiro, niteroi, fungus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users